Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 09:24 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,948,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
I live near LA and all the public libraries have Christmas trees. But if Christmas trees are not allowed in public schools, why are they allowed in libraries?

Do all US K-12 schools have the same rules about whether they can have a Christmas tree - or is it different between states, cities, counties?

Christmas is obviously a Christian holiday, yet so many people celebrate it as a non-religious, cultural thing. Harper's Magazine just mentioned that 1/3 of American Jewish people have a Christmas tree.

I think they call it a Chanukah Bush.

I had a Jewish boss at one point in my working career, (she's now deceased), but I loved her story about going away with her husband for the Christmas season to avoid the madness, and then, buying a plant and trimming it with construction paper cut-outs to decorate their hotel room!!

There are all manner of shoppers out there during the Christmas season because that's when many stores have well-stocked shelves with merchandise that they don't have other times of the year.

My feeling is that while I hang a simple wreath on my door, and my neighbors have enough lights to be seen from outer space, there's room for all of it.

If the library wants a creche, and/or a menorah, or giant blow-up whale, it shouldn't matter to anyone. Believe what you want but don't make me believe it. I think this country was founded on the principle of religious freedom. At least, that's what they taught me in school.

And please, don't cry "tax dollars". There are far more frivolous things for which the government is using your tax dollars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2013, 09:27 AM

7,413 posts, read 6,226,535 times
I think they're on a mission in the public school system, even though the Christmas tree has nothing to do with Christ.

Old 12-21-2013, 09:35 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,680,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
I think they're on a mission in the public school system, even though the Christmas tree has nothing to do with Christ.
i couldnt care less if places have christmas trees (well, government shouldnt be spending tax dollars on any decorations) but any celebrations that are tied to christmas are a celebration of christ. people can say that the tree has nothing to do with celebrating christ all they like, but it is tied to christmas so it is religious. im not exactly sure what people are suggesting they are celebrating if it isnt jesus. they are just celebrating some random day that everyone decided to celebrate? nahhhh its the jesus.

Old 12-21-2013, 10:10 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,312,833 times
winter solstice?

gift giving w/Hannakah?

3 Kings day?

Gift giving overall perhaps associated with gifts to the Christchild?

Santa Claus?

Maybe just a bright happy time of year for whatever the reason?

Christmas tree came from Germany and all sorts of traditions and meanings are associated with it including May Day. You can see trees on poles above the towns well into the spring.

So I personally don't associate Christmas Trees with anything religious and really don't care or mind what other people do.

But just my POV

Old 12-21-2013, 11:03 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,367,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i couldnt care less if places have christmas trees (well, government shouldnt be spending tax dollars on any decorations) but any celebrations that are tied to christmas are a celebration of christ. people can say that the tree has nothing to do with celebrating christ all they like, but it is tied to christmas so it is religious. im not exactly sure what people are suggesting they are celebrating if it isnt jesus. they are just celebrating some random day that everyone decided to celebrate? nahhhh its the jesus.
Well, since researchers have practically proved that Jesus was actually born in the spring, (shepherds don't watch over their flocks by night in the winter, etc.) it's actually Christians who've co-opted the pagan winter solstice celebrations, not pagans honing in on Christmas. The tree has nothing to do with Jesus.

Old 12-21-2013, 11:49 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,183,744 times
My own feelings as a non-Christian are that the "Christmas" tree has as much to do with Jesus and Christianity, as Valentine cards have to do with celebrating St. Valentine - in other words, nothing.

Old 12-21-2013, 11:50 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,674,951 times
Happy Solstice, everyone. Just remember, the reason for the season is earth's 22.5 degree axial tilt.

Yule trees are a folk tradition that have nothing to do with Christianity. A few politically correct fanatics may have pushed them out of a few public buildings, but it's a pretty spotty thing. My local county courthouse has a tradition of lighting the big fir in the yard, and it has thousands of lights and it takes industrial equipment just to string them. Just because you are Christian does not mean you have to abandon your midwinter festivities.

How's that egg nog? Enough brandy in it for you?

Old 12-21-2013, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Well, since researchers have practically proved that Jesus was actually born in the spring, (shepherds don't watch over their flocks by night in the winter, etc.) it's actually Christians who've co-opted the pagan winter solstice celebrations, not pagans honing in on Christmas. The tree has nothing to do with Jesus.
its all fake anyway right? im sure your researchers are no more correct than the religious folk. but what matters is what people believe. you have a tree for christmas, its a christmas tree, you are celebrating christmas and christmas is a christian holiday. it may not make any sense, but religion doesnt really make sense to everyone does it? so it doesnt have to make any sense. the christmas tree is a jesus tree.

Old 12-21-2013, 12:55 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,710,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
I live near LA and all the public libraries have Christmas trees. But if Christmas trees are not allowed in public schools, why are they allowed in libraries?

Do all US K-12 schools have the same rules about whether they can have a Christmas tree - or is it different between states, cities, counties?

Christmas is obviously a Christian holiday, yet so many people celebrate it as a non-religious, cultural thing. Harper's Magazine just mentioned that 1/3 of American Jewish people have a Christmas tree.
Are the public libraries government owned? In many cities public libraries were donated and setup as non-profits, so they're technically not government entities and they don't fall under the separation clause. This is very different from a public school, which is almost always own by the local or county government.

Old 12-21-2013, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
Are the public libraries government owned? In many cities public libraries were donated and setup as non-profits, so they're technically not government entities and they don't fall under the separation clause. This is very different from a public school, which is almost always own by the local or county government.
what separation clause?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events