Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 08:30 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,135,335 times

Advertisements

I made $650 in cash rewards this year and my total interest paid $0. This is winning!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2013, 08:36 PM

9,006 posts, read 13,830,041 times
This has been going on for the longest.

At the local gas stations they charge credit and debit card users 20 cents more per gallon.
I'm not sure why.

Old 12-20-2013, 08:40 PM

9,006 posts, read 13,830,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
good luck with that is all I can say...people should pay with cash anyways...if they haven't got it, they shouldn't buy it.
That doesn't make sense,as I always use a debit card which can also be used as a credit card.
Its my cash anyway,its in my bank account.

I have been told some merchants don't distinguish between debit cards and credit cards.
If your debit card has the Visa logo on it,its too bad,you will still be charged the higher rate.
That's not fair AT ALL.

Old 12-21-2013, 09:09 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,669,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post

At the local gas stations they charge credit and debit card users 20 cents more per gallon.
I'm not sure why.
well, the simple reason is because there is a 2-3% fee the company pays to the credit card company for any credit card transactions. so they are letting you pay less for cash since they avoid the fee (or they are charging you more to use a credit card, however you want to see it). i actually believe ive seen 10 cents as a standard difference, not 20. ive never thought about debit, i believe fees for debit transactions are significantly less than credit so if you are paying 20 cents extra for using a debit card the station is benefiting nicely.

Old 12-21-2013, 09:31 AM

2,003 posts, read 1,167,552 times
Well we're are screwed either way....if you use your card as a debit, it's cheaper, but less secure, you should never input your PIN number. If you use it as a credit then you pay more.

Old 12-21-2013, 10:32 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,184,653 times
Quote:

I'm not sure why.
That really does not make sense. When paying cash they must have a LIVE person there collecting it. I often buy gas when the station/store is closed but I can still pay at the pump. Does not sound like there is any competition in your area.

Old 12-21-2013, 10:38 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,822,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Many people do not use credit cards just because they do not have money; they use credit cards so they are not carrying around a bunch of cash with them. It is convenient, and some cards give you cash back, award points, etc.

The majority of merchants, and all large scale merchants, are not going to charge more for card use.
They may also be using them to build their credit score.

Old 12-21-2013, 01:25 PM

1,115 posts, read 2,496,763 times
Well, it's AMEX, pretty much the greediest credit card company ever.

Also, If anything I've seen merchants more accepting of credit card use. I remember 10 years ago when cards were somewhat new yet, that all merchants either didn't accept them or charged some terrible fee to process the card ($1-5 usually). Some lone merchants still charge a minimal fee, but in general now every merchant accepts every card for no extra fee.

Like others said too, I love the idea of credit cards. I don't like to carry much cash and I get several hundred dollars of giftcards/cashback each year from my cards.

Old 12-21-2013, 01:27 PM

1,115 posts, read 2,496,763 times
Quote:

I'm not sure why.
No, some gas stations offered DISCOUNTS for paying with cash. Not an increase over the base price for credit/debit card use.

And also this was a silly promotion I saw gas stations run for not even a full year. It quickly died out for obvious reasons and I haven't seen any gas station do this in a long time now. If it's still happening at your gas station, I agree with the other poster that there must not be any competition or you live in a rural area.

Old 12-21-2013, 01:37 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,709,551 times
Quote:
That doesn't make sense,as I always use a debit card which can also be used as a credit card.
Its my cash anyway,its in my bank account.

I have been told some merchants don't distinguish between debit cards and credit cards.
If your debit card has the Visa logo on it,its too bad,you will still be charged the higher rate.
That's not fair AT ALL.
As far as I know, they are charged a different rate. This was the battle Walmart had a few years ago. The debt card issuers were charging a flat rate for debt($0.35?) but charging 2% if the same card was used as credit.

The thing that gets me is for a merchant like a gas station, cash likely cost them more in the long run. The station I often go to is right near an interstate ramp. It is always packed. Almost all stations are now "pay first" if cash is used. Imagine a station with 20 pumps trying to process non-stop cash sales. It would be grid-lock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events