U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 10:01 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,314,876 times

Advertisements

I can't be the only one who has noticed the increase in stories of teachers (and other school employees) being arrested for having inappropriate contact with students. What's up with this? I don't get the phenomenon. I've also noticed that a lot of them are English teachers. Is it the eroticism of The Scarlet Letter and Shakespeare?

If you do a Google search using the phrase "teacher sleeps with student", you'll receive over 2.6 million hits.

Megan Snipes, 29 in South Carolina
A mom found inappropriate text messages on her 16 year-old's phone

Lauren Harrington-Cooper, 31 in Pennsylvania

Clare Horton, 33 in the UK

41 Female Teachers Arrested for Inappropriate Relations With Students
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2013, 10:09 AM

7,497 posts, read 9,274,846 times
This has been going on forever. The only difference is now people are paying attention.

Old 12-23-2013, 10:13 AM

18,856 posts, read 30,440,508 times
Which, again, is why I suggest open dialogue about this issue, at staff meetings...it happens, lets not continue to ignore it. Give teachers the phone number of professionals, to seek counseling, when they first have feelings for a student, a diversion program, not punitive, for coming forward, and seeking help. Have student transferred, no drama, just out of the direct line of sight, and intensive counseling to determine the core issues of the attraction.

I see this happening, and can pretty much analyze each, in context...a teacher, unsure of social skills, feels awkward with women his own age, but finds it easy to deal with a young woman who finds him riveting, not too difficult to see why he would be attracted to a young girl in his classroom...Mary Kay L...woman, mid life, has a husband who has lost interest in her, finds demands difficult, turns to young boy, who re creates romance, love in her life...
Middle age married man, attracted to young man in his classroom, who is struggling with his own sexual identity.

Of course, these examples are not obvious pedophiles, I am referring to not predators, but good teachers, who had personal problems, and boundary issues...and found relationships with students...acknowledge it occurs, and make a constructive plan to address it.

Old 12-23-2013, 10:14 AM

3,201 posts, read 3,382,499 times
the title should always specify "female teachers"

apparently it is only rape when men do it

the discussion should probably be about what goes on in a womans head that makes them desire teenage boys.

Old 12-23-2013, 10:42 AM

5,082 posts, read 12,579,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_TX View Post

the discussion should probably be about what goes on in a womans head that makes them desire teenage boys.
I wish I had that information when I was a teenage boy.

Old 12-23-2013, 10:52 AM

3,048 posts, read 1,569,650 times
I wish I had a teacher like Debra Lafave. That student should consider himself lucky.

Old 12-23-2013, 11:28 AM

13,437 posts, read 15,036,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Which, again, is why I suggest open dialogue about this issue, at staff meetings...it happens, lets not continue to ignore it. Give teachers the phone number of professionals, to seek counseling, when they first have feelings for a student, a diversion program, not punitive, for coming forward, and seeking help. Have student transferred, no drama, just out of the direct line of sight, and intensive counseling to determine the core issues of the attraction.

I see this happening, and can pretty much analyze each, in context...a teacher, unsure of social skills, feels awkward with women his own age, but finds it easy to deal with a young woman who finds him riveting, not too difficult to see why he would be attracted to a young girl in his classroom...Mary Kay L...woman, mid life, has a husband who has lost interest in her, finds demands difficult, turns to young boy, who re creates romance, love in her life...
Middle age married man, attracted to young man in his classroom, who is struggling with his own sexual identity.

Of course, these examples are not obvious pedophiles, I am referring to not predators, but good teachers, who had personal problems, and boundary issues...and found relationships with students...acknowledge it occurs, and make a constructive plan to address it.
If they're attracted to men and women, there's nothing illegal about it. It's still, imo, immoral and predatory for a teacher to act upon those feelings with a student regardless of age. I don't think there's anything really stopping teachers from coming forward. Anything they would say would, of course, be in confidence until they crossed the line of seeking help to avoid being predatory to actually being a danger to others.

Old 12-23-2013, 11:46 AM

17,032 posts, read 26,019,755 times
I think this has been going on for many years. Now we have 24 hour media and all the social media outlets. 'Secrets' are no longer kept as easily.

Old 12-23-2013, 12:27 PM

19,237 posts, read 11,137,433 times
I think the kids have gotten younger n younger. no longer the older teen n the proffessor. story

Old 12-23-2013, 12:36 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,314,876 times
So, does anyone have any idea why women want to be with teenaged boys?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_TX View Post
the title should always specify "female teachers"

apparently it is only rape when men do it

Yep, the double standard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events