Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2013, 09:19 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,025,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
It's hardly over.

"Although the judge ruled he could not force the hospital to continue the teen's care, an existing restraining order keeps Jahi on life support until 5 p.m. Monday, giving the family time to appeal his decision.

The judge said he doubts that he will be the final word on the matter and has expressed his condolences to the family."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2013, 09:27 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,850 times
I wonder what they will consider her official date and time of death.

Old 12-28-2013, 10:31 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,251,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Oh a big corporation lying to protect their liability. That would never happen.
You seriously don't understand how it works. I have worked for a large hospital system for over 30 years. No hospital is going to LIE about the procedures they performed. You came here and said it was a simple tonsillectomy. I said it was not; that the hospital said other procedures were performed. You said of course they would lie about it. Now there are posts that indicate that other procedures were indeed performed.

It would be kind of stupid for a hospital to say they performed multiple procedures if they only performed a tonsillectomy, wouldn't it? Because when the medical records were subpoenaed and showed what was actually performed, they would definitely be in hot water over that.

You are making things up in your mind that don't even make sense.

Old 12-28-2013, 10:34 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,594,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
I think it is 12/12

Old 12-28-2013, 10:39 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,433,954 times
Default Thanks

Quote:
Thank you! I hadn't seen this much clinical info before. When I suggested Sleep Apnea causing incontinence, that was the first thing I thought of. Indeed more was done and I still haven't seen previous medical records about other co-morbide diseases. Did she have any heart and lung problems or were her PT, PTT and other clotting factors normal? More questions which can only be addressed by her previous medical records that prove she had no other risk factors or ongoing medical issues.

This was helpful as it is a second source documenting this happened on Dec. 9. The story gained traction with the court move right before Christmas and forbidding the hospital to release info.

I also didn't know previously there had been two brain death declarations prior to the court ordering a third from the Stanford Child Neurologist. So now there are three separate physicians, if I read that correctly, who have all determined this teen is brain dead.

Thanks again for the link

MSR

Last edited by Mtn. States Resident; 12-28-2013 at 11:42 PM..

Old 12-28-2013, 10:48 PM

Default Agree!!!

Quote:
She's not profoundly disabled. She's been declared dead! That's not a disability.
I couldn't agree more Spazkat. Disabled show severe abnormalities or disorders in brain tests and examinations. BRAIN DEAD show and do nothing.

MSR

Old 12-28-2013, 11:02 PM

Default Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Someone already pointed out to you that the patients you are caring for are not brain dead. Someone who is brain dead will certainly not be going to school.

The New Jersey Assembly just amended its brain death law.

A3586

I doubt this child would be treated any differently in NJ than in CA.
suzy_q,

Thanks for pointing out the difference of a severe brain injury vs. Brain death again. I'm with you, I don't believe this teen will be attending school in CA or NJ.

Should a miracle occur, these parents don't seem to understand until this teen is removed from a ventilator and her heart stops beating, it's only if her heart beats on its own without mechanical devices or I.V. pressors and other medications, a miracle won't have occurred.

Miracles are when there is no medical intervention and the patient's heart and whatever functions return to her body, if any do.

That being said, perhaps a miracle is occurring with her family so they are being prepared for what will happen.

MSR

Last edited by Mtn. States Resident; 12-28-2013 at 11:46 PM..

Old 12-28-2013, 11:14 PM

Default Good Point!

Quote:
It is fairly common in my hospital for kids who have a history of severe obstructive apnea who undergo a tonsillectomy/adenoidectomy to go to the ICU for post op observation. Months to years of obstructive apnea can result in central apnea as well. Central apnea is when the brain doesn't send a signal to breathe at routine intervals - Obstructive apnea is where the signal to breath is present, but something is in the way (in this case big tonsils).
Excellent point, pinetreelover.

I probably wasn't clear enough in what I wrote. Anytime an ICU admission is planned for a post - op surgical patient, there are more medical factors known than have been released to date.

Your explanation of CNS apnea is good and easy to follow for any who want to try to understand vs. blame.

MSR

Last edited by Mtn. States Resident; 12-28-2013 at 11:49 PM..

Old 12-28-2013, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
A adenotonsillectomy is certainly routine.

Abstract
PURPOSE OF REVIEW:
Tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy are two of the most commonly performed pediatric surgical procedures. As with all surgical intervention, tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy are associated with a host of potential complications. Fortunately, for most children undergoing adenotonsillectomy (T&A), complications are rare. This review is intended to summarize recent reports, which may lead to prevention and treatment of T&A complications.

Complications of adenot... [Curr Opin Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2010] - PubMed - NCBI

Uvulopalatopharyngloplasty is also routine. It is frequently prescribed for people with snoring problems, and I can't find any information that it is a high risk procedure. So yes this was a routine surgery for the girl. But it was a nice attempt of you to apologize for the hospital.

Uvulopalatopharyngoplasty for Obstructive Sleep Apnea
Risks
Complications during surgery include accidental damage to surrounding blood vessels or tissues.
Complications after surgery may include:
Problems swallowing.
Speech problems. The surgery may result in a nasal quality to the voice.
Changes in how food tastes.
Swelling, pain, infection, or bleeding.
Narrowing of the airway in the nose and throat.
Sleepiness and periods of not breathing (apnea) related to the medicines that are used to relieve pain and help you sleep.

Uvulopalatopharyngoplasty for Obstructive Sleep Apnea | University of Michigan Health System
Check what your own citation says about routine and complications. It starts with this, "complications are rare." And, "which MAY lead to prevention and treatment of T&A COMPLICATIONS."

If you had written the purpose of the publication, you would have seen the author (s) admit complications do rarely happen and the purpose of the publication is to hopefully find ways to prevent and treat those complications.

I do encourage you to keep looking in PubMed. That article is three years old. Perhaps newer info has been published.

MSR

Old 12-28-2013, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Hard to know, but I suspect for many reasons it will be when she is disconnected and a physician notes the time of death, based on usual criteria, in the death note.

MSR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events