Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2014, 11:49 AM

7,138 posts, read 10,999,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Jahi McMath's family to get award from Terri Schiavo foundation
By Matthias Gafni Contra Costa Times
POSTED: 02/27/2014 12:02:53 PM PST

The family of Jahi McMath will receive an award next month from the Terri Schiavo Life & Hope Network at the organization's award gala, the nonprofit announced Thursday.

The Oakland family will receive the Terri Schiavo Life & Hope Award, which honors an individual or family that "fights to protect the dignity of a loved one against overwhelming odds," according to a news release by Bobby Schindler, Schiavo's brother.
Quote:
"We are seeing a growing trend where physicians and hospital ethics committees are making medical decisions instead of family members," Schindler said in an email. "This was apparent in the case of Jahi McMath. Jahi's parents wanted to provide help for her after she experienced a profound brain injury while under hospital care, but their wish was denied.
Jahi McMath's family to get award from Terri Schiavo foundation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2014, 07:42 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,461,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
So people are not allowed to question the theory of brain death or disagree with doctors? Why is that? And not every living doctor is in agreement on anything. I never said the girl was going to wake up. I'm just getting sick of people vilifying her mother and making her out to be trash or some kind of grifter and the attempt to dehumanize her child. I haven't heard anything disparaging about Michael Schumacher's family and he is likely not going to recover, although great lengths have been taken for him.
Obviously not every doctor is in agreement or they wouldn't be associated with her care and/or transfer.

I do think that all the discussions of the 'body' and the 'corpse' seem dismissive. Yes, her mother may be misguided - but she is receiving guidance from someone other than that attorney. Dr. Fellus, perhaps?

Old 03-02-2014, 02:48 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,931,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
The truth is, although her brain is dead her body is alive as long as she has the life support and her heart doesn't fail. I understand that she will never experience consciousness again but she is not a corpse like people keep saying. I doubt if you put a corpse on life support you'd get a heart beat.
So this would indicate that you are opposed to organ donation, i.e. a "beating heart" harvested from a donor?

To each his own.

Old 03-05-2014, 08:28 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,403,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Obviously not every doctor is in agreement or they wouldn't be associated with her care and/or transfer.

I do think that all the discussions of the 'body' and the 'corpse' seem dismissive. Yes, her mother may be misguided - but she is receiving guidance from someone other than that attorney. Dr. Fellus, perhaps?
I think the OH neonatologist, Dr. Paul Byrne has mentioned the mother in many often when he writes. I believe, but may be wrong, besides being the Pres. of the Catholic Physicians who don't recognize brain death, I think he is also is connected with the Schiavo Foundation.

MSR

Old 03-05-2014, 08:34 PM

Here's the guest piece by KZ, CRNA about the "emotional predators" in this situation. These are people who have influenced, in KZ's analysis.
Jahi McMath: Emotional and Spiritual Predators - Blog Nation

MSR

Old 03-06-2014, 11:00 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,053,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
Here's the guest piece by KZ, CRNA about the "emotional predators" in this situation. These are people who have influenced, in KZ's analysis.
Jahi McMath: Emotional and Spiritual Predators - Blog Nation

MSR
Great article and thanks!

Old 03-06-2014, 04:54 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,565,474 times
Every time I see this thread pop up I'm hoping to find there has been an end to this tragedy.

Old 03-06-2014, 05:38 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,262,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
Every time I see this thread pop up I'm hoping to find there has been an end to this tragedy.
So do I. It's a sad story, and going on far too long.

Old 03-07-2014, 03:14 AM

Default Me Too!

Quote:
Spazkat,

I honestly believe that is what all of us want.

MSR

Old 03-07-2014, 08:08 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,161,317 times
Quote:
Me too. The more I think about it, the more disgusting the whole situation becomes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events