Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 09:54 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,267,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalisiin View Post
Actually, no. BUT I can guarantee you they'd be there faster if they thought they could BUST me rather than if they could HELP me!

Honest, if I called the cops and told them a crazed madman was beating down my door, they'd take forever to get there, but if they thought I just sparked up a bong they'd be there faster than you could fart and say Mississippi!
Your paranoia is delusional. In California marijuana is basically not even a crime. The BEST you can get out of it is a $50 fine. There is no "trial," its heard in traffic court and treated just like a traffic ticket. I haven't cited someone for possession of marijuana in over 10 years.

I haven't written a traffic ticket in over 3 years and that is pretty much normal for where I work. Wherever it is you live, you should move from. Not all law enforcement works the same and differs from state to state. For that matter, county to county.

Your deathful fear of going to jail is really and truly clouding any normal/sane thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2013, 07:16 AM

914 posts, read 941,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Your paranoia is delusional. In California marijuana is basically not even a crime. The BEST you can get out of it is a $50 fine. There is no "trial," its heard in traffic court and treated just like a traffic ticket. I haven't cited someone for possession of marijuana in over 10 years.

I haven't written a traffic ticket in over 3 years and that is pretty much normal for where I work. Wherever it is you live, you should move from. Not all law enforcement works the same and differs from state to state. For that matter, county to county.

Your deathful fear of going to jail is really and truly clouding any normal/sane thought.
You STILL can't deny a cop moves faster if he thinks he can BUST someone for a crime (especially one that does not involve any risk to his precious pig hide) than if he thinks he has to HELP someone...especially when actually HELPING someone might jeopardize his precious pig hide.

To serve and protect my ass!

I got nothing but contempt for cops...and that won't change until they do what I see their job as being. Screw the Supreme Court, what the hell are cops FOR...what do I pay taxes to support their pig asses for...if not to be able to call them and have them respond WHEN I NEED THEM.

No, they'd rather go around making everyday common citizens into criminals.

And if you must know, I live in a rural area not served by cops...we have to depend on the State Troopers, over 1/2 hour away on a good day. If I REALLY needed them, I guarantee they'd take 2 hours to respond. But if they thought I'd just fired up a Chong Bong, boy, they'd be there in FIVE MINUTES.

Old 12-31-2013, 10:17 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,179,177 times
Quote:
You STILL can't deny a cop moves faster if he thinks he can BUST someone for a crime (especially one that does not involve any risk to his precious pig hide) than if he thinks he has to HELP someone...especially when actually HELPING someone might jeopardize his precious pig hide.

To serve and protect my ass!

I got nothing but contempt for cops...and that won't change until they do what I see their job as being. Screw the Supreme Court, what the hell are cops FOR...what do I pay taxes to support their pig asses for...if not to be able to call them and have them respond WHEN I NEED THEM.

No, they'd rather go around making everyday common citizens into criminals.

And if you must know, I live in a rural area not served by cops...we have to depend on the State Troopers, over 1/2 hour away on a good day. If I REALLY needed them, I guarantee they'd take 2 hours to respond. But if they thought I'd just fired up a Chong Bong, boy, they'd be there in FIVE MINUTES.
We should trade places if you are afraid to exercise your right to self defense. PA allows one to defend themselves by castle doctrine.

Old 12-31-2013, 10:58 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,886,519 times
There is a myth in America that if you call 911, the police will be there in time to protect you from harm. Totally wrong. The police in most cases come to the crime scene to make out a report, gather evidence, etc, and then try to find the criminal and bring him to justice. This is why all people should take steps to protect their own safety. The woman didn't need to have a gun to protect her. She could have purchased a large knife, a sword, a baseball bat, Mace, and other items that would be very useful to protect herself. But this is part of the mentality of the USA today. The government will protect you from all evil and suffering. Wrong.

Old 12-31-2013, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
There is a myth in America that if you call 911, the police will be there in time to protect you from harm. Totally wrong. The police in most cases come to the crime scene to make out a report, gather evidence, etc, and then try to find the criminal and bring him to justice. This is why all people should take steps to protect their own safety. The woman didn't need to have a gun to protect her. She could have purchased a large knife, a sword, a baseball bat, Mace, and other items that would be very useful to protect herself. But this is part of the mentality of the USA today. The government will protect you from all evil and suffering. Wrong.
That is what they are SUPPOSED to do.
That is what we were always taught in school, and in conflict-resolution shyt you never got crammed into your heads.

Old 12-31-2013, 01:09 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,637,731 times
Quote:
Ah, yes, the typical Yuppie Boomer-era American attitude of "I got mine, eff you!"
In fact, the mantra should be..."I stole mine from my kids, eff them and everyone else, too!"

We X'ers were the first generation of totally unwanted children...who were seen as inconvenient and "in the way" and thus were also the first generation who didn't really matter to their parents (Boomers) - and so it became perfectly okay to mortgage our future to pay for THEIR self-indulgence.

They took their share of the pie and ours...and left us nary a crumb.

The worst part is...now they know they screwed up - and wonder why WE are screwed up...we know...and so we will fix the mess, the next generation will have the emphasis placed on them just as we are getting old, and us X'ers...as always, will be left to swing in the wind.

God I hate the effing Yuppies.
You won't find many yuppies in Josephine County. As an east coaster, you have no concept of what it means to have the federal government own 3/4 of your county and pay no taxes. It's not large blocks either, it's O&C land that was once private, so it's a checkerboard pattern of every other section (square mile) for a thousand sections. Grants Pass has a median family income 25% below the rest of Oregon, and 40% below the US median.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Grants-Pass-Oregon.html

Maybe you don't know that yuppie is an acronym for Young Upwardly mobile Professional? Most of them are GenX. If you missed the boat, that's tough, but it's your generation you are talking about.

Upward mobility is not likely in Grants Pass and even less likely in the unincorporated county. Meanwhile, family wage jobs are going away because a bunch of yuppie snobs on the east coast decided we couldn't log a million square miles of timber. Rough and Ready Lumber, the last mill in Cave Junction, closed because they couldn't get logs, sitting in the middle of a million acres of forest.

Old 12-31-2013, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
You won't find many yuppies in Josephine County. As an east coaster, you have no concept of what it means to have the federal government own 3/4 of your county and pay no taxes. It's not large blocks either, it's O&C land that was once private, so it's a checkerboard pattern of every other section (square mile) for a thousand sections. Grants Pass has a median family income 25% below the rest of Oregon, and 40% below the US median.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Grants-Pass-Oregon.html

Maybe you don't know that yuppie is an acronym for Young Upwardly mobile Professional? Most of them are GenX. If you missed the boat, that's tough, but it's your generation you are talking about.
Wrong. It was the late Boomers, born in the 1950's and 1960's that became the Yuppies. The Yuppies were all in their 30's. WE didn't hit the 30's until the late 90's to early 2000's.

The Yuppies were our bosses. The ones who would make sure we forever stayed beneath them and their station in life.

The Yuppies are the ones who voted for Reagan.
When Reagan was elected in 1980, those born in 1964...when GenX started...were not even of voting age!

And, no, I did not miss the boat...the goddamned boat never even CAME for most of my generation.

I LUCKED into the position I am now. No amount of hard work and following the rules and so forth that worked for you Yuppies...got me where I am today.

I am where I am today, because I LUCKED into being at the right place at the right time. Yeah, then I had to prove I was CAPABLE of doing what I now do...and I did well enough to earn a five-year contract with my existing client.

But it sure as HELL wasn't hard work, following the rules, or anything else that worked for you Boomers that got me that chance. MY getting that opportunity was nothing more than the luck of being in the right place at the right time, and I don't mind admitting that.

I still had to then prove myself - but, if not for luck, I'd never have been given that chance to prove myself at all.

So many of us Xers never GET that one lucky break.

You Boomers didn't NEED a lucky break...you had a clear-cut path to upward mobility laid out for you. Nowadays, we Xers...came of working age in a day when all the ladders to career success had had the bottom rungs cut off. and much of it was by design of the Boomers and the Silents protecting their own interests...AT THE EXPENSE OF OURS.

YOURS were the people who were "grandfathered in" at your higher wage rates, WE were the ones expected to bear the full brunt of all the global competition driving wages downward. YOURS was the social safety net that got re-inforcements while OURS got holes chopped in it.

Your generation...and the Silents before you...systematically screwed my generation, and then wonder and whine about how we Xer's are "slackers" "lazy" "failure to thrive"

MOST OF US NEVER GOT A CHANCE TO THRIVE!

Last edited by Kalisiin; 12-31-2013 at 01:27 PM..

Old 12-31-2013, 01:24 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,637,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
When I teach classes for "civilian's" (not a huge fan of that term), I always tell them: The best money you can spend, is to find a a good criminal defense attorney. Spend the consultation fee and write out a list of questions. IF I had to use deadly force to protect myself, etc what should I say or shouldn't say? Find the attorney's which represent your local police and sheriffs dept. Take him/her out to lunch and get that personal contact.

People who get themselves into trouble with the criminal justice system, under these circumstances, generally do so by running their mouths, acting overly macho, and just not knowing what to say.

And you are correct, a police officer involved in a fatal shooting committed murder, just the same as anyone else. There is no exception for it. I get read my rights, et al (I've been through 4 separate officer involved shootings). Once its investigated, the district attorney makes a decision and rules it either: justifiable or excusable (its never ruled excusable). Or, you face the criminal charges.
The advice our expert panel gave us was to just say you will be glad to answer questions, but not right now. You are traumatized by events and psychologically unbalanced, so you need time to get your bearings. Then call a lawyer.

You are 100% right. The thing that will land you in the slammer is running your mouth, particularly if you start changing your story and lose credibility. Give yourself time. Talk to a counselor. Talk to an attorney. Always have an attorney present during questioning. You don't want to appear uncooperative, but an interrogation is designed to trip you up. Don't.

I have never been involved in a criminal trial, but have given testimony in dozens of civil trials. One thing I have learned is to write up a narrative of every action and conversation as soon as it happens, then sign and date it. The fact that you did that when the memory was still fresh does wonders for your credibility in front of a jury. You can refer to your notes to give accurate and consistent testimony. It gives the opposing attorney fits. I see no reason that wouldn't work in a criminal trial too. Of course, that presumes you really are innocent and not just putting a confession on paper.

Old 12-31-2013, 01:27 PM

And we are now getting HUGELY off the original topic.

Old 12-31-2013, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
The advice our expert panel gave us was to just say you will be glad to answer questions, but not right now. You are traumatized by events and psychologically unbalanced, so you need time to get your bearings. Then call a lawyer.

You are 100% right. The thing that will land you in the slammer is running your mouth, particularly if you start changing your story and lose credibility. Give yourself time. Talk to a counselor. Talk to an attorney. Always have an attorney present during questioning. You don't want to appear uncooperative, but an interrogation is designed to trip you up. Don't.

I have never been involved in a criminal trial, but have given testimony in dozens of civil trials. One thing I have learned is to write up a narrative of every action and conversation as soon as it happens, then sign and date it. The fact that you did that when the memory was still fresh does wonders for your credibility in front of a jury. You can refer to your notes to give accurate and consistent testimony. It gives the opposing attorney fits. I see no reason that wouldn't work in a criminal trial too. Of course, that presumes you really are innocent and not just putting a confession on paper.
See, even YOU admit exactly what I'm saying.
Overzealous cops and DA's that are just ACHING to throw your ass in jail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events