Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2014, 02:07 PM

358 posts, read 512,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
Speaking of empty, I went to an IMAX 3d viewing of a movie and was the only person in the theater.
Heaven! I dream of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2014, 02:19 PM

102,202 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Yes.

I have a 50" Plasma with access to every streaming program available, a high quality Sony sound bar, a high quality Blue Ray player and fast internet speed.

There is no longer any reason to go to a theater.
Yes, who needs human company when one can surround oneself with machines and hole up at home?

I really enjoy the audience reactions during some films. It depends on the audience and the subject matter, but audiences can be a lot of fun.

Old 01-01-2014, 03:35 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,462,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbradleyc View Post
Heaven! I dream of that.
Well here, just wait a few weeks and depending the popularity of the movie and viewing time, not an uncommon thing. I hope to never experience any like that again, it was deafening I imagine partly more noticeable because of the emptiness.

Old 01-01-2014, 05:23 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,104,386 times
I haven't been to a theatre in a few years.

Too expensive
People can be rude
The floors are sticky
I like the option of stopping the movie to get a snack
My popcorn doesn't cost $4
My popcorn isn't gross with dripping butter

Yes, human interaction is great, but the last time I went to a movie, I was working with the general public so being with the general public on my day off was too much. LOL

Old 01-01-2014, 07:24 PM

427 posts, read 947,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
What a horrible way to live - I am sorry, but this strikes me sad to miss out on so very many things out of fear.
Who said anything about fear? You did. Not I.

Old 01-01-2014, 07:45 PM

458 posts, read 644,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorphosis View Post
Too expensive
People can be rude
The floors are sticky
I like the option of stopping the movie to get a snack
My popcorn doesn't cost $4
My popcorn isn't gross with dripping butter
So true!

My biggest gripe is finding that perfect seat in the middle aisle, and right before the movie starts someone 6'7" or taller would sit directly in front of you, completely blocking your view.

Old 01-01-2014, 07:51 PM

8,481 posts, read 6,886,522 times
Generally do not go to movie theaters but make an exception to one that opened here recently. Recliner seats. Waiter service where you can order beer or wine.

Old 01-02-2014, 12:24 AM

358 posts, read 512,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Yes, who needs human company when one can surround oneself with machines and hole up at home?
Snarkiness does no one any good.

There are times when being in a large group of people is good, like a festival or concert. But a film is different. If the other people are respectful of their fellow patrons and make noise at the right times, like Rocky knocking Creed to the floor that first time, it's good. But when they are selfish and aren't respecting other people, like my sister chatting almost nonstop through Fellowship of the Ring, it sucks.

A film is a very personal experience. It's like reading a book. What I experience can't be shared, only supported.

It can be ruined, though.

Old 01-02-2014, 07:05 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,919,735 times
Very rarely go to movie theaters anymore. Maybe once or twice a year, and most of the time its an indie place where its not to crowded.

Rude patrons talking, cell phone use, etc makes it unenjoyable.

Old 01-02-2014, 11:49 AM

48 posts, read 111,357 times
Yes, but only because I can't make matinee shows anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events