Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 07:49 PM

2,432 posts, read 2,691,622 times

Advertisements

Even though this is old now, we rarely go to the theaters and certainly not during a midnight release when it would be busy. Saftey is a concern, but of course cost plays a big factor to. We can wait to rent it. If we do go, its always an early bird discounted viewing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2015, 08:08 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,376,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Lebowski Dude View Post
Digging up an old thread, since reading this reminded me of why I don't go to movie theaters anymore. I used to a be a big movie theater fan, and used to sometimes go up to 2-3 times a week back in the 200X's.

However, in the past 5-7 years, I stopped going nearly as often - for various reasons:

-I hate crowds. Even the matinees are sometimes crowded.

-Expense - there is no way I am paying $15 for a ticket, when I can buy the Blu-ray for that much when it comes out about 3-4 months later.

-Unruly/rude movie patrons. I have been in theaters were people have talked incessantly, gotten up out of their seats numerous times, brought noisy children, etc. No thanks.

-Concerns with personal safety: After all the problems in the news re: violence/brawls happening in the movie theaters, there is no way I want to get caught up in something like that.

Going along with the above:

Also, my home video system is fairly good these days, so while it's not as good as seeing a film on a huge screen, it's still a nice viewing experience.

And:

In the past, a lot of more obscure/independent/foreign films that may have gotten limited release movie theatre play (depending on where you lived), but they didn't always make it to home video. However, these days, even the most obscure film will typically make it to DVD/Blu-ray.
This.
Also, I did go see the new Mad Max movie but I noticed there is something the theaters are increasingly doing with 3D which is have many showings of to 3D where they charge more and then have fewer showings of the regular view at a cheaper price so I was having trouble finding a matinee showing I wanted because they were mostly showing it in 3D.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events