Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 03:53 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,944,452 times

Advertisements

Where was the outrage when baby "Pearl" was swearing up a storm trying to collect rent from Will Ferrell? Or this video, on Funny or Die?
Pearl the Landlord: It's time to meet Ruby: Toddler of Terror from 2hopefulspinsters

There is a certain hypocrisy when swearing by a white toddler is treated as amusing, and when it's a black toddler, it's a life map to crime.

I'm not in favor of either version, but there does seem to be a racist element in play here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2014, 03:59 PM

819 posts, read 1,408,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Where was the outrage when baby "Pearl" was swearing up a storm trying to collect rent from Will Ferrell? Or this video, on Funny or Die?
Pearl the Landlord: It's time to meet Ruby: Toddler of Terror from 2hopefulspinsters

There is a certain hypocrisy when swearing by a white toddler is treated as amusing, and when it's a black toddler, it's a life map to crime.

I'm not in favor of either version, but there does seem to be a racist element in play here.
It's treated as 'amusing' because most of the people in this country are too stupid to take a serious look at it if it's presented as entertainment and you attach a famous person to it. It would likely have been just as overlooked if it was a black toddler in Will Farrell's clip. However, if you present it as a home video that was obtained surreptitiously from someone's personal facebook page, and the media sensationalizes it, now it's worthy of outrage and called racist.

Old 01-09-2014, 04:36 PM

1,248 posts, read 2,166,081 times
I have never seen the Will Ferrell video or the other one, but I don't think kids cursing in any setting is amusing. I don't find the police department who posted the video to be racist, but I do think they used poor judgement in posting a video in which a toddler is, in my opinion, being psychologically abused. They should have investigated the video and turned it over to CPS instead of publicizing it.

Old 01-09-2014, 05:13 PM

358 posts, read 512,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
you now I saw a segment once with some professors etc and rappers and how the music was debilitating the young people to think gangs n all that was cool- they argued the fact- because it sells- so does the reality shows,, deplorable- bad girls--the rich wives,,, nasty nasty nasty,,, what re you expecting to have in 20 yrs?? really and although I think medical pot is good for the ill already sales in Colorado topped $5million,,, in a week yep in 20 yrs we shall see what money has brought us
Never post when you're stoned.

Old 01-09-2014, 05:24 PM

5 posts, read 3,878 times
I remember when I was thirteen waiting at a car repair place with a friend, and how one woman was disciplining her kids by pulling them by their braids, and screaming at them. It was quite disconcerting, and made me think why did she even have kids, especially since she seemed to lose it when they just walked a few feet away from where she told them to stay. With that being said I do not think making a public example of this child is in anyone's best interest. Maybe it is time to have a discussion about the types of music and movies have been put out for popular consumption over the last thirty years. I am not advocating censorship, but there are plenty of movies where kids say ridiculous and shocking things and do stuff that would not be considered appropriate in real life. Remember the movie Kindergarten cop and what a couple kids said about their dad who was a gynecologist for share and tell? I thought that was disturbing, but people probably did not care much because it was a movie, and those characters were white. Not saying this case is racist or what have you, but there is a lot of questionable behavior that goes on in all segments of society, but people often overlook it because it is not as blatant as this. The kid will probably be alright because the situation was brought to light, but it would be nice to see people encouraging those parents to get some help and counseling instead of dismissing them completely. People can change for the better.

Old 01-09-2014, 05:43 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,155,603 times
About two weeks ago I was at the grocery store and a young family were ahead of me in line. Mom, dad, little girl about 7-8, little boy about 5-6.

Little boy pulled his sweat pants down so they were half-way down his butt. Dad swatted him hard on the head and told him to pull his pants up. The kicker? Dad's pants were half-way down his butt exposing his boxers for all to see. I felt bad for that kid!

Kids model exactly what authority figures in their lives do!

Old 01-09-2014, 05:57 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,825,030 times
What's sad is that when the child grows up to be a 30-something felon who can't get a job, the family won't know why.

Old 01-09-2014, 06:07 PM

5 posts, read 3,878 times
Well maybe if we can stop talking about felons and poverty, and begin investing in public education rather than wasting money on countries who do not want us involved in their affairs. What is everyone who is concerned about the culture of poverty doing to alleviate it? I think the widening income gap is a concern, and cutting money from public education will not help those in need. Economic and social mobility is on the rise in Europe, and the decline in the US. We could do more to help those who do not know any better, but perhaps writing someone off as a lost cause is easier. I just think it would be great if we could uplift each other, and look for solutions.

Old 01-09-2014, 06:16 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,155,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustThinking83 View Post
Well maybe if we can stop talking about felons and poverty, and begin investing in public education rather than wasting money on countries who do not want us involved in their affairs. What is everyone who is concerned about the culture of poverty doing to alleviate it? I think the widening income gap is a concern, and cutting money from public education will not help those in need. Economic and social mobility is on the rise in Europe, and the decline in the US. We could do more to help those who do not know any better, but perhaps writing someone off as a lost cause is easier. I just think it would be great if we could uplift each other, and look for solutions.
Great, so what are YOU doing? Anything?

I put in a day per week at a domestic violence safe house, and two stints a week with my registered therapy dog hanging out with kids.

I also own my own business so I pay people, pay taxes, and generate income and sales.

Et tu?

Old 01-09-2014, 06:36 PM

35,687 posts, read 21,039,129 times
Its sad, but real for many- i was upset by the one guy on CNN who thought this was not normal or an everyday occurrence,, GET OUT OF YOUR BUBBLE!!!... it happens all over and young parents think its making them tough for school etc. YES! so they can protect themselves from the bullies the drug dealers the gangs etc,, this is their thought- make 'em tough take no Sh** from anyone do NOT be oppressed as we are,, they wrong but I can see where they would think this is OK
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events