Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 06:57 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,556,847 times

Advertisements

The biggest issue I have with this hunt is that that the local population are very on board with conservation, particularly of rhino, but the majority of the population is living in poverty, the publicity this will bring has the potential to change the mindset away from conservation to greed.

I still haven't found any rhino conservation experts condone the supposed conservation aspects of this hunt, if anyone has links please post them.

The Dallas Safari Club controversy

The debate about rhino hunting

http://www.rhinos.org/news-room/texa...o-hunt-auction

Sounding the Horn On Despicable Trophy Hunt - Wayne Pacelle: A Humane Nation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2014, 07:19 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Quote:
...it's meant to cull aggressive rhinos in an effort to protect the larger herd. He said the Namibia hunt will focus on an older, nonbreeding male with a pattern of aggression toward other rhinos.

Carter said that wildlife experts say culling a herd is an acceptable habitat management practice.
That is one of the details I was looking for. Either I missed it or it was added to the story later.

Personally, I wouldn't shoot one myself, but it does look like a logical way to manage the herd while bringing in revenue that is, hopefully, being used to maintain the preserve or other preserves.

Old 01-13-2014, 09:02 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,943,455 times
In the USA, we've practically eradicated the Grizzly Bear, Elk and many other animals from their natural habitats yet the do-gooder animal rights lovers say nothing and said nothing as it happened.

We kill off or push out the larger animals here and then turn around and name towns and cities after them. No one blinks.

Can't the protestors afford the plane ticket to Namibia to protest there or is it so convenient to step out of the Starbucks for the photo op to squeak about the topic here?

The hypocrisy of animal rights groups is legend. They are all for animal rights until one of their precious cats or lap dogs gets eaten by a coyote and then it is open season on everything from bobcats and mountain lions to coyotes.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:02 PM

10,704 posts, read 5,651,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
This latest abomination by the Dallas Safari Club has my blood boiling. How in the world can they justify killing an endangered species for "sport"?? I will never understand the mindset of trophy hunters - killing for fun. Especially a rhino, where there are less than 4,000 in the world. Just sickening IMO.

A skilled hunter who makes a clean shot, uses what he/she kills for food and follows all safety rules when hunting has my respect. Trophy hunters earn nothing but my disgust.

FBI looks into threats ahead of rhino hunt auction
Just curious - how much money do you contribute to rhino conservation efforts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events