Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 01:08 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,336,207 times

Advertisements

If someone is uncomfortable what is wrong with speaking up???

I know the story is a fable......but, the lady paid her money too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2014, 01:25 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,945,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
If someone is uncomfortable what is wrong with speaking up???

I know the story is a fable......but, the lady paid her money too.
I have to say that whether she paid or not, there is no basis to object to sitting next to a person on the basis of his/her race. That's really ignorant.

Having said that, I hate political correctness because it has made everything racist. Anybody who doesn't fully support a particular political agenda without question is a racist. This has actually hurt the cause, because if everything is racist, then nothing is. The word has lost all meaning. If you can't point out the truth about a man who has done an abysmal job as president without being racist (and he was never the best person for the job, IMO), then we're in a ridiculous spot.

We'd probably be doing better if we focused less on race. By picking at the wound all the time, we're keeping it sore. It's very foolish to allow a bad past to intrude on and control the present and future.

Old 01-12-2014, 01:31 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,336,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
I have to say that whether she paid or not, there is no basis to object to sitting next to a person on the basis of his/her race. That's really ignorant.

Having said that, I hate political correctness because it has made everything racist. Anybody who doesn't fully support a particular political agenda without question is a racist. This has actually hurt the cause, because if everything is racist, then nothing is. The word has lost all meaning. If you can't point out the truth about a man who has done an abysmal job as president without being racist (and he was never the best person for the job, IMO), then we're in a ridiculous spot.

We'd probably be doing better if we focused less on race. By picking at the wound all the time, we're keeping it sore. It's very foolish to allow a bad past to intrude on and control the present and future.
IMO....she does not need an excuse.

She is just as much a paying customer as anyone....therefore she has the right to be conformable.

Old 01-12-2014, 01:44 PM

447 posts, read 1,044,103 times
There are only 2 people preventing racial harmony in America:

Old 01-12-2014, 01:56 PM

1,667 posts, read 9,380,870 times
I live in a town that is 50/50 black/white and I love it. Where I work, I'm the only white guy there. We have a lot of fun making jokes about it like, "What is this? Pick on the white guy day?" We don't pretend not to notice diversity. We embrace it!

Old 01-12-2014, 02:33 PM

1,311 posts, read 1,693,011 times
I think before racism ends, various ethnic groups need to get their own crap together before we start pointing fingers outside. We have Asians who have issues with light skin vs. dark skin and create their own system of racism. If you're an Indian or Pakistani woman and have darker skin, but pretty features you are considered ugly compared to a lighter skinned girl with plain or even unattractive features. Blacks keep clinging onto the "one drop rule" and also have issues with skin color and mixed kids "you have good hair." There are still lingering groups who cling to the "are you white enough" rule if your ancestry isn't from the right part of Europe.

Racism will keep lingering because people judge you on how you look. That's just the way it is, and people form expectations based on groups of people. Why else would human biodiversity folks exist? They use science as a way to explain why certain groups of people, aka races, do well or don't do well in society. It's terrible if you ask me but a LOT of people buy into racism without even realizing it.

Old 01-12-2014, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
IMO....she does not need an excuse.

She is just as much a paying customer as anyone....therefore she has the right to be conformable.
Comfortable by humiliating another person who has done nothing to her, and poses no threat to her well-being? Sorry, not buying it. How would you like it if somebody on a plane refused to sit next to you for a reason like that?

Old 01-12-2014, 02:46 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,667,075 times
Being naive (I must be) I thought this racist garbage went out a long time ago. I didn't think people even noticed anymore. When Obama was elected I actually thought that was the final nail in the coffin for racism.

It couldn't have been further from the truth. I sure hope these inane racist arguments that are all over CD aren't representative of what the country is really like because it's sickening to think that this is what it's really like.

Old 01-12-2014, 02:49 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,667,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
Comfortable by humiliating another person who has done nothing to her, and poses no threat to her well-being? Sorry, not buying it. How would you like it if somebody on a plane refused to sit next to you for a reason like that?
I wouldn't want to sit next to somebody who reeked (really smelled) or who was so fat that they took up part of my seat. Someone who causes a stir because they aren't fond of the color of someone's skin, has something wrong with them. Maybe they shouldn't be traveling without someone to look after them.

Old 01-12-2014, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I wouldn't want to sit next to somebody who reeked (really smelled) or who was so fat that they took up part of my seat. Someone who causes a stir because they aren't fond of the color of someone's skin, has something wrong with them. Maybe they shouldn't be traveling without someone to look after them.
I agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events