Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2014, 08:07 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,152,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalisiin View Post
Wrong.
You're not allowed to turn this into being about ME...as a way to continue to dodge the question.

Whatever you want, I'm a horrible, wretched, awful, mean, child-hating person - I'm the troll under the bridge...whatever you want.

Once again, tell me HOW that excuses parents from controlling their children in public?

EXPLAIN TO ME WHY IT IS OKAY FOR PARENTS TO BE TOTALLY INCONSIDERATE OF EVERYONE ELSE AROUND THEM, BY NOT CONTROLLING THEIR MISBEHAVING CHILD!!

No more diversions. Answer the question or admit their actions are entirely indefensible.

And, no...this is not "poor me, I am being picked on" martyrdom here, in spite of the fact that you wish it was. Because I don;t feel picked on or put upon in the least.

But I am NOT going to let you ignore the central question I and everyone else here has been posing...by sending out a red herring. The central question here is the bolded part of this post, in case you can't figure that out.
it is about you. You're the one who's blustering and stomping your foot and demanding that others accommodate your hatred for kids. They're not going to, and restaurants that welcome kids aren't going to start tossing parents with fussy kids no matter how badly you want them to. Get used to that fact and live your life accordingly.

Old 01-20-2014, 08:09 PM

914 posts, read 942,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
"Stepford toddler".....good way to put it. To this day my mom (she's in her 80s) will boast about how well behaved her kids (my brothers and I) were when we were little. "I could set you all on the sofa and tell you not to move and not to make a sound, and I could come back 4 hours later and you would have barely moved a muscle."

Yeah, thanks mom, for making me so completely obedient to authority that it took me decades to learn to think for myself. Thanks for making me ripe for a cult-like church to control my mind for 20 years. Thanks that I had practically no self-esteem, no confidence, I was quiet and shy, I cared far too much what other people would think.

It actually saddens and frightens me when I see a child who is behaving "too well," if you know what I mean.

I understand that the screaming, undisciplined children that were the topic of this thread are at one end of the spectrum, and children like my mom raised were at the other. I'm glad that most people don't wish to be always surrounded by "Stepford toddlers" just because they make their life easier temporarily.
If they can't behave, they don't belong in public places.
Other people...childless by choice people...have a right to not be inflicted with whining, fidgeting, crying, disruptive, unruly, misbehaving children.

Nothing anyone says is going to change my mind on this.

My brother, of whom I seldom have a decent thing to say about...was very good at controlling his children. When my father died in 1999, my niece was seven, and my nephew was five.

After the viewing, we went out to dinner. My nephew began getting restless and started acting up a bit at the table. My brother put a stop to it. The kid knew when to knock it off.

And he has no problem, now, at 19 years old, with self-esteem or thinking independently.

Quit trying to evoke sympathy where none is deserved. If they can't behave, and you can't MAKE them behave...don't bring them...OR REMOVE THEM.

Old 01-20-2014, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
I hate brussel sprouts, so I guess we all have our things. But it is a bit hard to grasp hating all young children. I mean, we kinda do need a next generation. Perpetuation of the species and all that. Someone to be your doctor when you are 80. Someone to be the teachers, business leaders, philanthropists, engineers, researchers of the coming decades.

Or do you think it would be better to just let humans all die off?
I did not say that. Just keep them BEHAVING...or out of public places.
Just because they are young children, they do NOT have the right to disturb everyone around them.

I don't like young children, because they are squirmy, wiggly, and have an attention span slightly larger than a gnat's.
In fact, everything I LOVE in puppies...is everything that annoys the SNOT out of me in human kids.

Old 01-20-2014, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
it is about you. You're the one who's blustering and stomping your foot and demanding that others accommodate your hatred for kids. They're not going to, and family restaurants aren't going to start tossing parents with fussy infants no matter how badly you want them to. Get used to that fact and live your life accordingly.
So you still have not answered my question.

Which again tells me you have no defense for inconsiderate parents.

Go on, you just keep proving my central theme.

Keep making it about me instead of about the question I have asked.

You keep proving you HAVE no answer for it.

EXPLAIN TO ME WHY IT IS OKAY FOR PARENTS TO BE TOTALLY INCONSIDERATE OF EVERYONE ELSE AROUND THEM, BY NOT CONTROLLING THEIR MISBEHAVING CHILD!!

I am not giving up until you answer...or admit you have no answer.

Old 01-20-2014, 08:16 PM

Quote:
So you still have not answered my question.

Which again tells me you have no defense for inconsiderate parents.

Go on, you just keep proving my central theme.

Keep making it about me instead of about the question I have asked.

You keep proving you HAVE no answer for it.

You can wait your whole life for a satisfactory answer for all I care. In the meantime, here's one last bit of perspective for you: when you have nearly 50 posts in this thread (probably soon to exceed 50) screaming at people about how they should raise their kids to your standards, the problem isn't the other people in the thread. The problem is the person who's so consumed by the topic tha they post the same schtik 50 times.

Old 01-20-2014, 08:19 PM

You still have not answered the question.

Do I take this as your forfeit?

I have challenged you with a direct question you have refused to answer.
In most debates, this is scored as a forfeit.

Old 01-20-2014, 08:22 PM

Quote:
You still have not answered the question.

Do I take this as your forfeit?

I have challenged you with a direct question you have refused to answer.
In most debates, this is scored as a forfeit.
That's because your question assumes the premise. In most debates, that is scored as a "logical fallacy." But if it makes you feel better to think I've forfeited, that's fine with me. You win. So go ahead and take your victory out to dinner tonight and stew while kids at other tables make you crazy. It's no skin off of my nose.

Old 01-20-2014, 08:27 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,185,790 times
Quote:

I'll give an answer a go. Perhaps for the same reason adults who act up (say yelling, speaking inappropriately/incoherently, endlessly yammering, etc) in public are tolerated. That's how our society operates. We're pretty tolerant.

But, as I said earlier, I have never seen kids freaking out in restaurants or other venues. Nor have I seen child-free folk bug out. Maybe it's regional? I don't know.

Old 01-20-2014, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I'll give an answer a go. Perhaps for the same reason adults who act up (say yelling, speaking inappropriately/incoherently, endlessly yammering, etc) in public are tolerated. That's how our society operates. We're pretty tolerant.

But, as I said earlier, I have never seen kids freaking out in restaurants or other venues. Nor have I seen child-free folk bug out. Maybe it's regional? I don't know.
Quite frankly, if an adult starts "acting up" - yelling, speaking inappropriately, etc...should be approached by management, and asked to cool it. If they don't then they should be asked to leave.

I'm not tolerant. Not of inappropriate behavior that causes others' outing to be ruined.

All of this said, generally, restaurants DO try to group kids in the same general section, usually, because they know there are plenty of diners like me out there who do not appreciate loud children.

It sorta makes me wish there were still "smoking sections" in restaurants. Because you'd be less likely to run into loud, screaming children in a smoking section. Then again, I smoke...however, I don't even smoke in my own house.

Old 01-20-2014, 11:47 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,140,460 times
Parents who take babies and small children to fine dining restaurants are bad parents, IMO. And they're selfish.

I have no problem with children in restaurants that are more family oriented. And I think it's necessary. Children should be taught how to behave in public. The problem with this is, far too many parents are more interested in themselves than in teaching their children. My rule of thumb is, you don't take children anywhere you're not prepared to get up and walk out of should a tantrum (in older children) or uncontrollable crying in infants occur. And that's not something most people would be willing to do in a fine dining restaurant. Especially, because eating at a fine dining restaurant is usually a much longer process than the "other" restaurants. And it just doesn't seem fair to a child to subject them to that.

In this situation, the babysitter fell through. They should have rescheduled their night out. If the restaurant wanted to be really gracious, when they called to cancel their reservation and explained the situation, they'd do what they could to reschedule them at the earliest possible convenience.

I find it sad that a restaurant should have to have a "rule" stating such a common sense situation. What's next. Instituting a rule that you can't pee in the potted plant?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events