U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 04:12 PM

30,325 posts, read 31,191,100 times

Advertisements

Very silly reason for people to complain!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2014, 05:07 PM

10,608 posts, read 13,377,851 times
This story doesn't pass the BS test.

First of all it was "A customer" not "patrons". ONE customer - in the article.

So the kid went and sat down then walked up for a coffee refill and all hell broke loose? TWO walks in the restaurant and a "customer" complained enough for the employee to approach the woman? NO. No way.

I doubt it.

Either the employee is an idiot (evidenced by them ALWAYS making my asiago roast beef wrong - in THREE STATES - I SAID NO ONIONS NO SAUCE! LOL), OR the kid was banging her shoes over and over on the table or something as kids often do in airplanes etc, therein making the squeaking for like, a half hour. Disability or not, she's still a little kid who's going to act like one.

The reason this story sounds like bull is the mother "left crying" and the three year old: ""Mommy, why are they being mean to our family?".

Come on now. My kid was pretty precocious and even at 3 wouldn't have spoken like that without COACHING.
"Come on, they're being mean to our family". "Why mommy"?

That's more like it. The MOTHER could have handled it differently. Especially KNOWING that for some reason, her kid is REQUIRED to wear squeaky shoes. It's not exactly something you wouldn't think of when you find out. "OMG you mean my kid has to squeak everywhere she goes annoying everyone for HOW LONG???"

Old 01-15-2014, 05:30 PM

6,461 posts, read 6,096,745 times
I believe these are the type of squeaky shoes the child was wearing.
Amazon.com: LBL Infant Squeaky Shoes "Naomi" (24, Red): Shoes
They are very squeaky and loud, and I am sure the kid was messing around like any other child of that age.

I think the situation could have been handled by both parties better.

I personally feel like anything that is seen as different will be pointed out by people and you have to learn how to deal with it without having a meltdown. My sister had iron braces on her legs growing up and had to deal with that. I had huge clunky orthopedic shoes that weighed a ton with thick coke bottle glasses. People would ask me why I had those shoes on when I was 3-4 years old all the time. I just said that they helped my feet grow. Oh well.

Was the staffer rude, probably. Rude enough for an internet brouhaha? Probably not.

Old 01-15-2014, 05:38 PM

8,780 posts, read 16,243,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post

So the kid went and sat down then walked up for a coffee refill and all hell broke loose? TWO walks in the restaurant and a "customer" complained enough for the employee to approach the woman? NO. No way.

I doubt it.

Either the employee is an idiot (evidenced by them ALWAYS making my asiago roast beef wrong - in THREE STATES - I SAID NO ONIONS NO SAUCE! LOL), OR the kid was banging her shoes over and over on the table or something as kids often do in airplanes etc, therein making the squeaking for like, a half hour. Disability or not, she's still a little kid who's going to act like one.

The reason this story sounds like bull is the mother "left crying" and the three year old: ""Mommy, why are they being mean to our family?".

Come on now. My kid was pretty precocious and even at 3 wouldn't have spoken like that without COACHING.

That's more like it. The MOTHER could have handled it differently. Especially KNOWING that for some reason, her kid is REQUIRED to wear squeaky shoes. It's not exactly something you wouldn't think of when you find out. "OMG you mean my kid has to squeak everywhere she goes annoying everyone for HOW LONG???"
Did you also note in that article that there's a picture of the mother holding the child? Why couldn't she pick the kid up when they were in Panera?

Old 01-15-2014, 06:02 PM

19,237 posts, read 11,137,433 times
back in the day we all had bells on our shoes,,, specially baby shoes- what is wrong with PEOPLE- some just need to live on a mountain-- go away...

Old 01-15-2014, 06:46 PM

175 posts, read 260,967 times
Jeez it is a restaurant not a funeral. Is it me or are people just becoming bigger a$$ holes than in the past?

Old 01-15-2014, 06:57 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,832,251 times
Shame on the mother for overreacting and going to the news. If you disagree with what a restaurant employee says, talk to corporate or don't go back. There's no need to talk to the media and try to cause a public uproar. I'm guessing she's a liberal who has nothing else to do but be outraged.

Old 01-15-2014, 07:05 PM

16,471 posts, read 15,913,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post

I doubt it.

I agree. Maybe the employee was a real idiot or maybe the child ran around the restaurant or jumped up and down, in her squeaky shoes, over and over and over and over again and again and again !
It could have been either one. But would either one be national news?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Did you also note in that article that there's a picture of the mother holding the child? Why couldn't she pick the kid up when they were in Panera?
Or perhaps have the child sit down in a booster seat?

Old 01-15-2014, 07:55 PM

23,000 posts, read 31,949,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneyus View Post
Shame on the mother for overreacting and going to the news. If you disagree with what a restaurant employee says, talk to corporate or don't go back. There's no need to talk to the media and try to cause a public uproar. I'm guessing she's a liberal who has nothing else to do but be outraged.
I agree with you. The mother has drama queen written all over her.

Old 01-15-2014, 09:34 PM

29,580 posts, read 31,907,081 times
I can see the squeekers being annoying if the kid was doing a lot of running around. If someone complained the employee was well within LOGICAL rights to ask the mom to make it stop. She didn't know about the "undiagnosed whateverthehell" and it doesn't even matter.....an annoyance is an annoyance no matter what your condition and until you ask you don't know anything except IT'S ANNOYING. And they were not KICKED OUT, the mom said she could just feel they weren't welcome. Probably not, I'd have been giving them the evil eye too and there is no a damn thing this mom is ever going to be able to do about that so she better suck it up and learn to deal with a world that doesn't cater to her.

I also blame the internet. There are so may ::cough:: "journalists" ::cough:: and pages to fill that we have to over dramatize every event to make it newsworthy and hope it blows up.. Just look at the wording in that article and tell me it's now how every spam email starts. We don't have news reports anymore, we have spam reports.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or