U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 09:38 PM

5,655 posts, read 5,465,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The shoes are deliberately squeaky to help her learn to walk properly.
Who says one can't learn things on C-D?

Unfortunately that's probably the only worthwhile thing I learned here today
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2014, 09:43 PM

17,579 posts, read 38,313,006 times
I go to Panera every once in a while. It is always really loud. Unless there was a person playing the tuba the thought of complaining about squeaky shoes seems insane.

Old 01-16-2014, 01:27 AM

373 posts, read 462,912 times
[quote=runswithscissors;33036926]This story doesn't pass the BS test.

The reason this story sounds like bull is the mother "left crying" and the three year old: ""Mommy, why are they being mean to our family?".

Come on now. My kid was pretty precocious and even at 3 wouldn't have spoken like that without COACHING.
"Come on, they're being mean to our family". "Why mommy"?

Talking three year olds just talk. Except for basic things like "I want a drink of water" they have no idea what they are saying. It's not much more then fancy blabber - mimicking. You're absolutely right. No way she could have come up with that comment on her own. Three year olds are far from that degree of thought processes. In fact, most 5 year olds are unable to vocalize all but the simplest thoughts.

Old 01-16-2014, 01:33 AM

373 posts, read 462,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
back in the day we all had bells on our shoes,,, specially baby shoes- what is wrong with PEOPLE- some just need to live on a mountain-- go away...
Around 1960 they came out with ripple sole shoes. My friend Keith and I used to wear them to school and deliberately squash our feet on the floor with each step to make that squeaking noise. It worked best on ashphalt tile floors that had just had that flakey wax sprinkled on them.

"wreek, wreek, wreek..."

Old 01-16-2014, 02:59 AM

832 posts, read 1,313,814 times
Really? I can't believe (no wait, I CAN believe ) some of you who are saying things like the kid should have been made to sit down, or the mother should have carried her, or suggesting she didn't need the shoes, etc. Obviously you don't have a disability or have a loved one with a disability that causes gawking and other negative attention. Just because you think (only through reading this short article) special shoes are annoying and unnecessary doesn't mean the little girl doesn't need them. No "evil eyes" are necessary--disabled people go through enough of that crap in their daily lives. I don't blame the mother for speaking up to the corporate office and the media. It is still very difficult to have a physical disability in this supposedly "politically correct" nation of ours.

Old 01-16-2014, 04:30 AM

13,110 posts, read 17,652,758 times
I say if they dont like this little cuties shoes they should be the ones leaving not her . And to those who complained , Im sure you feel very big for picking on this little girl who might one day end up pushing you around in a wheelchair in your old folks home . One day you might have squeeky shoes and be asked to take them off or in fact leave . Dont judge folks until you have walked a mile in their moccasins , have some compassion and some understanding and most of all get over yourselves you self righteous jerks and butt wipes .

Old 01-16-2014, 05:37 AM

6,461 posts, read 6,101,517 times
They were not kicked out of the restaurant, and the employee backed down after the mother explained the situation. The mother was upset and chose to leave.

Was it fair? No, but I can see the conversation happening in the first place. Life isn't fair and if your kid has super squeaky shoes you should expect comments or questions.

The shoes are meant to discourage tippie toe walking and encourage a heel to toe step.

I wish the mother and child well, and hope that her issue with walking resolves soon.

Old 01-16-2014, 06:23 AM

10,608 posts, read 13,387,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayah(812) View Post
Really? I can't believe (no wait, I CAN believe ) some of you who are saying things like the kid should have been made to sit down, or the mother should have carried her, or suggesting she didn't need the shoes, etc. Obviously you don't have a disability or have a loved one with a disability that causes gawking and other negative attention. Just because you think (only through reading this short article) special shoes are annoying and unnecessary doesn't mean the little girl doesn't need them. No "evil eyes" are necessary--disabled people go through enough of that crap in their daily lives. I don't blame the mother for speaking up to the corporate office and the media. It is still very difficult to have a physical disability in this supposedly "politically correct" nation of ours.
Nobody said the kid didn't need the shoes. And nobody said special shoes were unnecessary.

You're extrapolating.

Thereby proving another poster's theory that the internet is "pages to fill that we have to over dramatize every event to make it newsworthy and hope it blows up."

It works!

I simply do NOT BELIEVE that a kid 1) walked in a restaurant and sat down, then 2)walked up for a refill and caused all this drama. A 2 year old that weighs, what? 30 lbs? LOL. The story is ridiculous and obviously not giving all the facts.

MY reaction would have been to laugh it off *whisper voice* "I know, imagine how I feel hearing the shoes all day long!" hahaha. Who CARES what some idiot server or customer thinks!

I think the mother is OVERLY sensitive. Probably from having to hear those shoes 24/7!

Old 01-16-2014, 06:43 AM

832 posts, read 1,313,814 times
^^^I agree that the versions of this story I've heard are not complete. I would like to believe that there is more to this story, that perhaps some details were withheld for legal reasons.

Anyway I do not patronize Panera Bread (nothing against it, I just don't go) but I do patronize restaurants and other businesses while having a disability. Not everyone out in public is so "accepting" and I see that through stares, snickering and eye-rolling, and of course I see that in this thread with comments to the tune of "oh well life isn't fair" or the kid should have just sat in her chair and not walk around like others. If anyone in the world knows that life isn't fair it's the disabled. It saddens me to see some people's real thoughts here, but then again if those people have always been perfectly abled then how should I expect them to understand?

Old 01-16-2014, 07:26 AM

13,904 posts, read 11,007,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneyus View Post
Shame on the mother for overreacting and going to the news. If you disagree with what a restaurant employee says, talk to corporate or don't go back. There's no need to talk to the media and try to cause a public uproar. I'm guessing she's a liberal who has nothing else to do but be outraged.
You nailed it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or