U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 05:28 PM

10,608 posts, read 13,377,851 times

Advertisements

Of course it's possible for a 3 year old to say people are being mean. Especially when witnessing a family hissy fit, as mentioned by another poster. Or use adult words they're exposed to.

Once my kid said "Mommy you're expecting too much from me, I'm only 4 years old?.

It's another matter when the child is supposedly witnessing an adult conversation - to presume "THEY are being mean to OUR FAMILY". They who?

Oh wait. It WAS a hissy fit. LOL. Wherein the mother was compelled to explain it to the 3 year old in LONG DETAIL.

Just like when I was in CVS pharmacy and a little boy yelled "Come on mom, isn't your vagina cream ready yet?" (back when Monostat was prescription)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2014, 05:49 PM

2,287 posts, read 2,492,870 times
Well, after reading some slam the mom for letting this story go viral, I for one am glad she did. I'd never heard of these shoes, and now I know that could be a possibility if I'm out and "hear" a squeaky kid. I never would have complained anyway, but I'm hoping those that would, now know there's a darn good reason for them. I personally love being around kids being kids, and their noises makes me happy. I'm the one who buys any kid in the family those loud obnoxious toys, AND I let them play with them at my house.

Life's to short and hard to let the little things get you in a uproar, imo.

Old 01-16-2014, 05:51 PM

48,519 posts, read 81,013,914 times
I think the title is just spin. I see no reason for the little girl to be running around a restaurant in first place.They just asked mother to take the shoes off.

Old 01-16-2014, 07:13 PM

20,862 posts, read 22,440,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeinmo. View Post
Well, after reading some slam the mom for letting this story go viral, I for one am glad she did. I'd never heard of these shoes, and now I know that could be a possibility if I'm out and "hear" a squeaky kid. I never would have complained anyway, but I'm hoping those that would, now know there's a darn good reason for them. I personally love being around kids being kids, and their noises makes me happy. I'm the one who buys any kid in the family those loud obnoxious toys, AND I let them play with them at my house.

Life's to short and hard to let the little things get you in a uproar, imo.
I think the only one who made the uproar was the mom especially by her seeking publicity from the press. That's the whole point of the criticisms of her.

Old 01-16-2014, 08:44 PM

19,237 posts, read 11,137,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
The mother did her little girl more harm by getting all upset in front of her than anything else. The employee was trying to appease everyone, the complaining patron by delivering the message and the mother by polietly telling her someone complained. The matter should have ended there. Couldn't she have just had the child sit down so there would be no more squeaky shoes? Again, what are we not being told?

I think it was the mother who behaved badly, she is the one who should be the adult and who should have known better. No one knew here little girl had orthopedic shoes. I had them when I was a kid and believe me 60 some years ago you could tell what they were by how ugly they were. People would stop my mom on the street and ask what was wrong with me. They thought I was mentally deficient because of the shoes. Yes, people are stupid.

But my mom took it in stride and explained the situation that my feet were not growing properly and I had to wear the shoes to correct that. She never cried when other mothers suggested she buy me "girl" shoes because my shoes resembled those that boys wore. She never got upset when strangers asked stupid questions. So I never felt bad about it either.

This mother needs to grow up so her kid can.
you are always beating up on some on on these posts! the woman had every right and teach her kid DEFEND thyself !!!

Old 01-16-2014, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I think the only one who made the uproar was the mom especially by her seeking publicity from the press. That's the whole point of the criticisms of her.
welcome to our century,,,, media is in... period that is the new norm,, so everybody smell the coffee, you might be on someones i-phone video next/

Old 01-16-2014, 08:49 PM

Now kids can't be kids-- they will have to march to Washington and demand their rights

Old 01-16-2014, 08:53 PM

1,677 posts, read 1,967,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
you are always beating up on some on on these posts! the woman had every right and teach her kid DEFEND thyself !!!
Teaching the child to defend herself would have been the mother calmly, authoritatively telling the employee that her little girl has every right to wear the shoes on her feet, and sitting down and eating her food.

Bursting into tears, leaving the restaurant, then run crying to the media to gain sympathy is doing nothing but teaching the child how to play the role of victim.

Old 01-16-2014, 09:34 PM

20,862 posts, read 22,440,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
LOL! You really must be a fan the way you follow me around from forum to forum. I am very flattered. For the record, I have more reps for my posts than you can ever count and I didn't get them for "beating people up" I can assure you.

Old 01-17-2014, 03:42 AM

11,686 posts, read 13,078,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I think the title is just spin. I see no reason for the little girl to be running around a restaurant in first place.They just asked mother to take the shoes off.
Spin is right. The woman chose to leave the store, she was not "kicked out."

And after she explained the situation, no one told her to stuff it anyway. And the clerk, according to the story evidently took her aside, and didn't issue a ringing denunciation in front of the assembled masses so that she was humiliated in front of the other customers.

Considering that this is not gourmet dining the complaining customer expected a lot. The employee who conveyed the complaint(s) and made the request probably should have dumped it on the manager. And the woman seems to have blown this way out of proportion.

Tempest in a teapot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or