U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2014, 07:05 PM

29,633 posts, read 31,957,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
You mean this?
Quote:
Emma, who has developmental delays that make walking difficult, was at the Panera location with her mother, Catherine Duke, on Jan. 2, when, the parent aid, they were approached by an assistant manager who gave them an ultimatum: Take off the shoes, or leave, local station WTOC reports.
Clicking that link I get what originally reported:

Quote:
A Savannah woman said an assistant manager at the Panera Bread on Savannah's
Abercorn Street asked her to remove her two-year-old daughter's squeaky
orthopedic shoes because they were "bothering someone."

Catherine Duke says without those shoes, her daughter Emma, who has a
developmental disorder, can't walk correctly.

"It's a requirement by her, her doctor," Duke said.

She said she told the assistant manager that but that she didn't seem to
care.

"We weren't welcome with the shoes. It was very blatant."
I have never see the quote about an employee giving an ultimatum or saying "get out". Ever. I see "we weren't welcome" and I agree they probably weren't if a customer complained and the mom didn't even GIVE A ***** that snowflake might be bothering anyone. And like I said, it wouldn't have mattered anyway. She wasn't "kicking out a handicapped child", she was asking an annoying customers to stop it. Then when mom shot back about whateverthehell disability they didn't pursue it. So Spinspinspin but there is no story here.

But let's take bets to see how long it takes for someone to draft "Emma's Law"....lol!!!!!!

Last edited by Ceece; 01-17-2014 at 07:13 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2014, 12:04 PM

33,952 posts, read 32,416,664 times
I have squeaky shoes. They are regular shoes with a rubber bottom. When they get wet, they squeak on certain floor types. Let someone tell me it bothers them while they are on their cell phone.

Old 01-18-2014, 02:41 PM

27,331 posts, read 15,077,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeinmo. View Post
Shameful that people have so little in their lives to be concerned with, that they picked on this precious little girl. She can "squeak" around me anytime of the day or night.
That little girl is simply adorable. I will admit that the training shoes with squeakers are pretty loud. However, my local Panera is plenty LOUD. It's always full with young families and college students.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Csiko View Post
Panera Bread must be the most fancy restaurant in Savannah if someone thought that ANY noise from a 3 year old was worth complaining to management about.
Pretty much agree.

Old 01-18-2014, 02:51 PM

16,501 posts, read 15,968,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I have squeaky shoes. They are regular shoes with a rubber bottom. When they get wet, they squeak on certain floor types. Let someone tell me it bothers them while they are on their cell phone.
I know that you are joking but your shoes are probably like this (but only on rainy days and only on certain surfaces):
step, step, step, step, squeak, step, step, step, step, squeak, step, step, step, step, squeak, step, step, step, step, squeak, step, step, step, step, squeak, step, step, step, step, squeak, step, step, step, squeak, step, step, step

Watching that videotape, I'm guessing that the little girls shoes probably went like this:
SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!

Quite a difference.

Old 01-26-2014, 10:53 AM

1,193 posts, read 1,469,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I can see the squeekers being annoying if the kid was doing a lot of running around. If someone complained the employee was well within LOGICAL rights to ask the mom to make it stop. She didn't know about the "undiagnosed whateverthehell" and it doesn't even matter.....an annoyance is an annoyance no matter what your condition and until you ask you don't know anything except IT'S ANNOYING. And they were not KICKED OUT, the mom said she could just feel they weren't welcome. Probably not, I'd have been giving them the evil eye too and there is no a damn thing this mom is ever going to be able to do about that so she better suck it up and learn to deal with a world that doesn't cater to her.
I find the behavior of this mother disgusting and quite frankly symptomatic of a drama queen. She is acting like Panera discriminated against her child. They did nothing of the sort. A customer complained about the squeaking shoes. And not sure about this Panera, but the ones near where I live often have mostly people eating quiet lunches and working on laptops. It's a quiet vibe and while there are families there too, it's not a run around screaming environment like a Chuck E Cheese, but a place to have a quiet, pleasant lunch. So I can imagine if this little girl was scampering around and mom wasn't being very attentive or considerate to other customers (i.e. figuring out if her toddler was feeling too restless to stay in the restaurant it was time to go outside) someone would've complained to the management.

And then it sounds like the management handled it perfectly. They asked the mom about it, and were then informed about the daughter's disability. Most orthopedic shoes are designed to try to blend in as much as normal so likely they assumed they were just another doo-dad to make the child delighted (like light up shoes) rather than that they served a purpose. When the mom explained what they were for, the employee reacted appropriately.

It's the mom who overreacted to the extreme and then decided to go be a big-mouth and try to get media attention under the guise of calling attention to a disability. No, dear, it's just about calling attention to yourself. Grow up.

Old 01-26-2014, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittySkyfish View Post
It seems that Emma was wearing training shoes in the Panera Bakery. The squeak is a positive reinforcer in training proper heel-to-toe walking and shouldn't make a sound if she's kicking the booster seat or table while sitting and eating (or coloring). Removing these shoes won't prevent her from walking; the only thing it would do is temporarily halt reinforcement training. She could still run or tippy-toe walk in her socks if she doesn't wish to stay seated.

This doesn't appear to be a direct attack on children with disabilities. My guess is Emma enjoys her shoes like a toy and was happy to get up and hear that fun (to her) piercing sound, though I don't think the aisles of Panera Bakery are the place to do hard-core training. Leave that for running around at home.
Completely agree. These shoes are DESIGNED to be obnoxiously loud so they will work as a training tool. And only when up and walking around. When you choose to go out to a restaurant, there is an expectation of reasonable public behavior. Any sort of loud noise that disturbs the average environment of the restaurant is inappropriate and should be quickly handled by the parent. This is true whether we're talking about a disability or not. So if it's a screaming child, or a child in squeaky shoes, or a child throwing a tantrum... all of those things happen... but it's the reaction of the parent that was inappropriate in this instance. They were not at the playground where it would've been appropriate to run around. Panera Bread is a restaurant. It is for sitting and eating food. No matter what her daughter's condition or disability or lack thereof, she should not have been running around the restaurant. Had she been sitting down, there is no way other patrons could've even been bothered by the shoes.

The mother was probably sitting there obliviously playing Candy Crush, chowing down, and ignoring what a disturbance her kids were being to other patrons. And then she reacted like a complete drama queen by trying to make her bad parenting into someone being "discriminated against." Pathetic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
Take the shoes off OR LEAVE. I call that being kicked out.
How on earth is a restaurant an appropriate place to be running around? Just because one has a disability does not mean it gives license to be as freely rude and inconsiderate as you want any more than being issued a handicapped placard for your car means you have the right to run people over because "it's prescribed by her doctor."

The mom is disgustingly entitled.

Old 01-26-2014, 02:48 PM

20,887 posts, read 22,478,078 times
The one who will ultimately suffer for this whole ridiculous fiasco is the little girl herself. For her mom to make so big a fuss as to go to the local media is to put her daughter and her disability in the limelight. How will that make the girl feel? A quiet explanation to the child that it is sometimes necessary to explain to people about the shoes, the squeak and why it is disturbing should suffice. Making a media circus out of it isn't.

The mother was wrong allowing her child to run around the restaurant in the first place. It's a rude and dangerous thing to do. I wonder if she was trying to justify her actions by making such a big deal all of this. In any case, she needs to take responsibility for her actions and learn to teach her daughter proper behavior in a public place. When it comes down to it, isn't that what this is really all about?

Old 01-26-2014, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
The one who will ultimately suffer for this whole ridiculous fiasco is the little girl herself. For her mom to make so big a fuss as to go to the local media is to put her daughter and her disability in the limelight. How will that make the girl feel? A quiet explanation to the child that it is sometimes necessary to explain to people about the shoes, the squeak and why it is disturbing should suffice. Making a media circus out of it isn't.

The mother was wrong allowing her child to run around the restaurant in the first place. It's a rude and dangerous thing to do. I wonder if she was trying to justify her actions by making such a big deal all of this. In any case, she needs to take responsibility for her actions and learn to teach her daughter proper behavior in a public place. When it comes down to it, isn't that what this is really all about?
Good post. I completely agree.

Old 01-26-2014, 04:47 PM

16,501 posts, read 15,968,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitkatbar View Post
Completely agree. These shoes are DESIGNED to be obnoxiously loud so they will work as a training tool. And only when up and walking around. When you choose to go out to a restaurant, there is an expectation of reasonable public behavior. Any sort of loud noise that disturbs the average environment of the restaurant is inappropriate and should be quickly handled by the parent. This is true whether we're talking about a disability or not. So if it's a screaming child, or a child in squeaky shoes, or a child throwing a tantrum... all of those things happen... but it's the reaction of the parent that was inappropriate in this instance. They were not at the playground where it would've been appropriate to run around. Panera Bread is a restaurant. It is for sitting and eating food. No matter what her daughter's condition or disability or lack thereof, she should not have been running around the restaurant. Had she been sitting down, there is no way other patrons could've even been bothered by the shoes.

The mother was probably sitting there obliviously playing Candy Crush, chowing down, and ignoring what a disturbance her kids were being to other patrons. And then she reacted like a complete drama queen by trying to make her bad parenting into someone being "discriminated against." Pathetic.

How on earth is a restaurant an appropriate place to be running around? Just because one has a disability does not mean it gives license to be as freely rude and inconsiderate as you want any more than being issued a handicapped placard for your car means you have the right to run people over because "it's prescribed by her doctor."

The mom is disgustingly entitled.
Great post.

Old 02-02-2014, 03:39 PM

18,720 posts, read 4,712,322 times
Ok, I didn't really understand what "squeaky shoes" were until yesterday...2 little kids in Walmart with their
Mom walking around....no one expects Walmart to be quiet but those shoes sounded like a doggie squeak toy
next to your ear....maybe ok for Walmart but would be very annoying in a restaurant where you couldn't get
away from the noise...especially if the kid was running around, (Can't believe a person would complain if they
only walked over to get coffee..)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or