Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 10:15 AM

17,568 posts, read 15,232,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Are you saying NE has NEVER been correct???
Enquirer is much better than they used to be.. They're still 'tabloid' journalism though they don't print totally made up stories anymore, which is what the "Weekly World News" did before they went defunct. See "Bat Boy" and the like.

I haven't read the story being discussed here, but I'd bet there's a whole lot of qualifiers in it speaking towards opinion and "sources say" type things that cover their butts.

An interesting slideshow of what they got right..

National Enquirer' Stories That Were True - Business Insider

And, in fairness, some they got wrong as well are listed at

7 Stories The National Enquirer Actually Got Right | Mental Floss

Though, some of those are from as far back as the 70's.. I don't overly count what they got right or wrong before 2000.

I'd say that since about 2000.. They got tired of being sued and really cleaned things up. Not that it's all 100% accurate now. But, it's sad to say that the Enquirer is perhaps the top investigative journalism paper in America today. Their methods are still rather suspect at times. I think one of the biggest problems is them paying for stories, but, it does allow them to get stories that others can't get.

And.. They certainly don't play politics. They go after the stories regardless.. I'll give them that.

I'd say I have far more respect for them than I used to.. I'm not a fan of their methods, and their track record certainly isn't perfect.. I think most people can't get past the days of yore when they did totally make up their stories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 10:39 AM

6,131 posts, read 7,984,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Are you saying NE has NEVER been correct???
No. I'm saying they have no credibility.

Old 01-20-2014, 11:24 AM

78,347 posts, read 60,547,237 times
The typical enquirer reader is 75, female, 2 cats and about a 10th grade education.

I hope your cats are in good health.

Old 01-20-2014, 11:30 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,334,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
The typical enquirer reader is 75, female, 2 cats and about a 10th grade education.

Any links to support that???

Old 01-20-2014, 11:35 AM

45,337 posts, read 60,522,810 times
Quote:

I'm 59, male and allergic to cats. I look through it when checking out my groceries. I like to guess which celebrities have all that cellulite from the hidden face pitchers.

Old 01-20-2014, 11:39 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,981,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
I don't believe any of it. If they sleep in separate beds, it's probably because it's been arranged that way long before, not because they're having problems. I know married couples who sleep in separate beds because it's comfortable. I don't think Michelle was bothered by the selfie, her bone structure makes her appear upset all the time.
And that same bone structure is the reasons why she wanted to switch seats too, right? That kool aid must taste really good.

Old 01-20-2014, 11:42 AM

45,337 posts, read 60,522,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
I don't believe any of it. If they sleep in separate beds, it's probably because it's been arranged that way long before, not because they're having problems. I know married couples who sleep in separate beds because it's comfortable. I don't think Michelle was bothered by the selfie, her bone structure makes her appear upset all the time.
Around here that's called "bitchy resting face".

Old 01-20-2014, 11:50 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,981,396 times
A lot of naysayers about NE, but they have gotten some big stories right. Not only did they get John Edwards, but they also predicted Michael Jackson's death, reported Tiger Woods' affair, reported OJ Simpson's "If I Did It" book before it came out,etc. I'm not saying they are right, but the naysayers really don't know enough to say that it's not true.

Old 01-20-2014, 12:29 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,138,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1972 View Post
The point is....these stories come about about every President, with the same tired claim that they will divorce once they leave the White House and yet I NEVER happens. I can't think of a single time it's happened. Can you?
Let's set the record straight about your "every president" comment.

Can you name a single report even suggesting infidelity upon the part of:

Truman
Nixon
Ford
Carter
Reagan
Bush I
or
Bush II.

Just one!

They may have been a lot of things, but none of these men have ever been accused of infidelity!!!

Old 01-20-2014, 12:33 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,334,167 times
Quote:

We have four hounds that LOVE cats......with or, without sauce.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events