Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2014, 01:40 PM

4 posts, read 3,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtvatitans View Post
Because you commented on the picture as though he was smiling about what he did to the dogs, when really it was a picture of him on a football field. Him smiling on a football field, has nothing to do with the dog on the left.

So a dog can be "cured" or rehabilitated but not a person from torturing animals?
A dog that is rehabilitated or "cured" is rehabilitated from being abused. They have been taught to fear, fight and attack for their own survival. I do not believe that any dog fighter was forced into dog fighting due to abuse or as a means of their very own physical survival. They do it for profit and because they take joy from it, in no way the same situation. That being said, not all dogs can be rehabilitated as was true with Vick's animals, but they were forced into their behavior, they did not choose it. You do realize that dogs that won't fight are killed by vicious means; being hung or beaten to death. Vick and other dog fighters choose to do this.

Last edited by Badgerfan60; 01-29-2014 at 01:42 PM.. Reason: Misspell
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2014, 01:53 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,023,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgerfan60 View Post
A dog that is rehabilitated or "cured" is rehabilitated from being abused. They have been taught to fear, fight and attack for their own survival. I do not believe that any dog fighter was forced into dog fighting due to abuse or as a means of their very own physical survival. They do it for profit and because they take joy from it, in no way the same situation. That being said, not all dogs can be rehabilitated as was true with Vick's animals, but they were forced into their behavior, they did not choose it. You do realize that dogs that won't fight are killed by vicious means; being hung or beaten to death. Vick and other dog fighters choose to do this.

and they took pleasure from it.....

Old 01-29-2014, 02:00 PM

2,096 posts, read 4,774,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post

and someone who commits either of those behaviors is seriously damaged and flawed enough that they will never be redeemed in my eyes.....
Well I hope you're perfect and have never done anything wrong ever, then.

Old 01-29-2014, 02:07 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,023,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post

never have I said that.... because I am FAR from perfect......

but I have never deliberately and purposefully brutalized and murdered a creature weaker than I am .... I have always lived by the motto of treat others how you wish to be treated and it has served me well.....

Old 01-29-2014, 02:51 PM

Default Differences

Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
Everyone has done something "wrong", but all "wrongs" do not carry the same weight. Lying, stealing, spreading false information, jealousy; all of these are forgiven and relationships/people redeemable. One could not be a parent and not agree that making a wrong choice is part of the learning curve to some extent. Killing, torturing and maiming for pleasure and profit are in no way in the same category. There are some acts that are not redeemable because they cross the line of humanity's test. "Humanity's true moral test, its fundamental test...consists of its attitude towards those who are at its mercy: animals." -Milan Kundera
I would add all those who are at their mercy including children and other vulnerable beings. The acts of rapists, child abusers, sociopaths and others have crossed the line of being redeemed, because their acts betray within them a total lack of empathy, the use of cruelty to gain empowerment, and excitement seeking through abuse, pain and death.

Old 01-29-2014, 02:51 PM

92 posts, read 315,869 times
Quote:

but I have never deliberately and purposefully brutalized and murdered a creature weaker than I am .... I have always lived by the motto of treat others how you wish to be treated and it has served me well.....
Interesting.

By that logic, wouldn't you accept an individual attempting to make amends for their mistake? Surely, people (including ourselves) shouldn't be written off for eternity due to our fallible actions (something of an old adage surrounding forgiveness and redemption.) I've never tortured and killed an animal, but I'm sure I've done something that can be seen as egregious in someone else's eyes (I'm a pro-choice dog-owner that enjoys eating meat lol.) I don't understand how someone could write off an individual forever. It sounds like many people are voicing their thoughts from an emotional place, rather than a reasonable one.

In my opinion, Vick has made amends for his dues. In fact, I would say he has probably paid more (in terms of time lost, money, etc) than many of his NFL peers who have committed more heinous crimes (like DUI manslaughter) and gotten away on simply probation and minimal jail time.

Last edited by Randmness; 01-29-2014 at 03:13 PM..

Old 01-29-2014, 03:21 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,723,992 times
Quote:

Have you ever killed a roach or an ant in your life? If yes, then what I have bolded is not true.

I will sum this whole thread up in one statement: If you do not think that Raleigh made a good choice by selecting Vick to be a keynote speaker, than you can show your disapproval by NOT buying a ticket. If you don't think Vick has atoned for his crimes, do NOT buy a ticket. If you think Vick is a fowl human being, do NOT buy a ticket. I think it is that simple.

Old 01-29-2014, 03:21 PM

5,874 posts, read 6,944,341 times
Here are links on the recent passing of Georgia and Lucas, two of the more famous Vick dogs. The court order said Lucas could never be adopted, yet his behavior after arriving at Best Friends showed his true nature.

Georgia, until we meet again | The Best Friends Blog

Vicktory dog Lucas | The Best Friends Blog

Old 01-29-2014, 03:29 PM

Default Difference of opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randmness View Post
Interesting.

By that logic, wouldn't you accept an individual attempting to make amends for their mistake? Surely, people (including ourselves) shouldn't be written off for eternity due to our fallible actions (something of an old adage surrounding forgiveness and redemption.) I've never tortured and killed an animal, but I'm sure we've all done something that can be seen as egregious in someone else's eyes (I do enjoy meat lol.) I don't understand how someone could write off an individual forever.

In my opinion, Vick has made amends for his dues. In fact, I would say he has probably paid more (in terms of time lost, money, etc) than many of his NFL peers who committed more heinous crimes (like manslaughter) and got away on probation.
Therein lies the the the sea that divides us. Yes I am fallible, but being fallible does not mean you have a dog fighting business from 2001- 2007, that you name your business "Bad Newz Kennel" and house and train over 50 dogs and stage dog fights. That dogs were methodically tested for fighting ability and poor performers executed by shooting, electrocuting, drowning and hanging. Michael Vick actually became a registered dog breeder and set up up a fence so their activities could not be seen. They burned car axles with heavy chains to secure the dogs across the property. They trained the fighting dogs with ones that had been pets, thinking "it was funny to watch the pit bull dogs belonging to Bad Newz Kennels injure or kill the other dogs." Losing dogs were frequently left to die in the pit or executed while gambling purses were frequently in the thousands of dollars. One female dog with Vick's okay was executed by wetting her down with water then electrocuting her. This went on for six years before the ring was caught. Vick did not do this for money, he was making in the millions, he did it for pleasure. Fallible- capable of making a mistake. Mistake- to understand something incorrectly, to identify something or someone incorrectly, to make a wrong judgement. This was not a mistake or a blunder, it was a thought out operation that ran for six years. Mutilating, killing with intent, making money out if torture is not a blunder, it is a choice!!!! And when you try to hide your choices you know they are wrong. So the reason people don't see him as a hero is because he chose to torture, maim and kill innocent beings for fun. For me and many others he crossed a line with his choices. I don't care how much he makes, I don't care that he plays football, he is due his life, but he is not due a hero status ever.

Old 01-29-2014, 03:45 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,666,120 times
Cretin Michael Vick, just like his supporters, will never admit wrongdoing or barbarism. Vick might have publicly mumbled some words, but in his heart, he sees nothing wrong with what he did.

You'all are beating a dead horse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events