Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2014, 08:13 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,030,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I think those pictures say it all. As they say a picture is worth 1000 words.

Well, there is wrong and there is WRONG, no? Or do you equate killing and torture with say . . . driving 30 in a 25 mph zone?

Well said. He is NOT a hero, will never be a hero and should not be acknowledged as one.

AND, not able to leave well enough alone - he petitioned the court so that he could own a dog. Why?

ostensibly for his children......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2014, 09:23 AM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
I wonder what kind of wonderful father he is.Feh.

Old 01-30-2014, 10:54 AM

9,824 posts, read 11,548,625 times
Did he apologize for what he did?
Yes!
Did he serve time in a correctional facility for his crime according to US LAW
yes?
Is he allowed to pursue his right to happiness under the Declaration of independence after time served?
Damn Right!

Don't get me wrong I'm not defending what he did. I've been to dog fights in my younger days,and they are harsh,cruel and hard to watch.
What I am defending is,his right to earn a living and become a model citizen in American Society. So Many felons in this country, black&white get out and Re offend in the first year of probation. We should be damn near happy,that someone gets out of jail and does something positive with their lives and society. If one or more Kids sees Mike Vick Story and say to him/herself,I don't want that to happen to me or those poor dogs.
Then Mike Vicks downfall has help someone not grow up killing dogs and gambling.

Old 01-30-2014, 02:03 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,640,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
yes, I do find trophy hunting an awful thing to do and said as much in my original post......

I have issue with the court system and with the man.... anyone who could do what he did to those defenseless creatures is subhuman in my book...

no, he will NEVER have any sympathy or respect from me.... why would he??

I do rescue and I see constantly what people like him inflict upon companion animals and it turns my stomach.... none will EVER have sympathy or respect from me.... respect must be earned and willingness to torture and abuse a creature smaller and weaker and dependent upon you for its survival puts a person in the forever pissant column....

throwing a football means nothing.....
Very well said. Anyone who could abuse animals in that way shows their true character, and the fact that he may be sorry means very little because he was capable of doing it in the first place. I would never be interested in anything this man has to say and his race, supposed "culture," etc., have nothing to do with anything. He supposedly knows right from wrong. I don't know of any "culture" that finds torture and abuse acceptable. Michael Vick should never be allowed to own any type of pet. If people want to pay to hear whatever he has to say, that is their business, but no one should pretend like they don't understand why people are so disgusted by him. I despise people who hunt animals for sport as well. Why do people think anything they choose to do to animals is all right and sneer at those who care?

Old 01-30-2014, 02:28 PM

4,587 posts, read 4,216,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
I've been to dog fights in my younger days,and they are harsh,cruel and hard to watch.
Well that about says it all now doesn't it?

Old 01-30-2014, 09:37 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,986,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praline View Post
Very well said. Anyone who could abuse animals in that way shows their true character, and the fact that he may be sorry means very little because he was capable of doing it in the first place. I would never be interested in anything this man has to say and his race, supposed "culture," etc., have nothing to do with anything. He supposedly knows right from wrong. I don't know of any "culture" that finds torture and abuse acceptable. Michael Vick should never be allowed to own any type of pet. If people want to pay to hear whatever he has to say, that is their business, but no one should pretend like they don't understand why people are so disgusted by him. I despise people who hunt animals for sport as well. Why do people think anything they choose to do to animals is all right and sneer at those who care?
Guess you have never been to a third world country?

Old 01-31-2014, 06:41 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtvatitans View Post
This is true. AND our own mass production of animals for our consumption says something about us as well, I will grant you that.

Old 01-31-2014, 10:13 AM

4,481 posts, read 3,640,250 times
Quote:

You are taking my use of the word "culture" a little too literally. This was in reference to an earlier post where someone said that Michael Vick's (thug, ghetto or however you want to define it) culture may have been the reason why he thought dog fighting was acceptable. My point is he knows right from wrong and whatever his background may have been has nothing to do with pretending to think that torturing and abusing DOGS was perfectly all right. Any normal person would realize this whether they engaged in such behavior or not and we are not talking about a "third world country," we are talking about American born Michael Vick.

Old 01-31-2014, 12:04 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,986,059 times
Quote:
You are taking my use of the word "culture" a little too literally. This was in reference to an earlier post where someone said that Michael Vick's (thug, ghetto or however you want to define it) culture may have been the reason why he thought dog fighting was acceptable. My point is he knows right from wrong and whatever his background may have been has nothing to do with pretending to think that torturing and abusing DOGS was perfectly all right. Any normal person would realize this whether they engaged in such behavior or not and we are not talking about a "third world country," we are talking about American born Michael Vick.
A lot of things in this post just lacks perspective.

At this point, I'm not even talking about Michael Vick, I'm just talking about society as a whole because I feel like there are a lot of people on here that have never been to or understand what living in a poor neighborhood is like.

1. Every place in America is not the same culturally. The way you live, may not be the same as people in places like Detroit or Chicago. There is a neighborhood in Chicago called Englewood, where there are shootings almost on a daily basis. People are literally shot at just for moving on a particular block. It is about 3 square miles, has a 21% unemployment rate, almost 30% of the people living there haven't even finished high school, and it had 25 murders in 2013. Is the place that you live in THAT bad? America is not just some homogeneous place where everyone lives in a lilly white house, sip on lemonade on the porch and laugh about the good times. We have extremes in this country that are high and low. You can't just assume because you live in this country that everyone has it good, because they don't.

2. It always amazes me when people keep saying that people know right from wrong. At some point in your life people began to gain an understanding of right from wrong as they gain more experience or as they are taught, but they also understand it more because they understand the consequences for doing the right or wrong things. There are things that people do that are wrong, but they rationalize doing them in spite of that. For example, people who go out and rob. They know it's wrong but they see the risk greater than the reward, but where do they get the idea of robbing someone as an option? If you live a life where you see people doing these things, then you rationalize doing it and being normal. It's the same reason why there are people who racist. If your parents teach you that a certain group of people are inferior then even as you get older and "know right from wrong", you still talk about people in that racial group as being inferior because you rationalize it, even though you know it's wrong. You do it though because you never saw consequences for your parents doing it and you assumed it must be right.

3. There is a huge dividing line of people on here that believe you automatically know right from wrong. Learning right from wrong is a learned behavior. Not only because of what you are taught but because of consequences. Have you seen a baby? Do babies know right from wrong? As babies grow up they try to explore their surroundings as much as possible to see what they can do. On one hand as a parent, you can teach them not to do certain things, but even if you don't consequences eventually come.

So when you have kids who aren't taught that dog fighting is wrong and/or if you do it, there are consequences, then kids don't always grasp it. It's not an excuse for his behavior but this is why we have so many young people going out and committing crimes like this. They do not have someone to teach them and show them why something is wrong. If you believe kids can learn right from wrong through consequences, then Michael Vick is the poster boy for the consequences of dog fighting. I hear a lot of people complaining on here, but those individuals haven't offered up better solutions to stop people from dog fighting. It's just focused on one person, while thousands of others are doing the same thing with no attention given to them. The reality is, if this man goes away like so many of you want, there is a real possibility that more dog fighting will happen. So what is it that your really want, for this man to suffer or for dog fighting to be ended?

Old 01-31-2014, 02:07 PM

92 posts, read 315,915 times
Quote:
If you believe kids can learn right from wrong through consequences, then Michael Vick is the poster boy for the consequences of dog fighting. I hear a lot of people complaining on here, but those individuals haven't offered up better solutions to stop people from dog fighting. It's just focused on one person, while thousands of others are doing the same thing with no attention given to them. The reality is, if this man goes away like so many of you want, there is a real possibility that more dog fighting will happen. So what is it that your really want, for this man to suffer or for dog fighting to be ended?

Quote:
I don't know of any "culture" that finds torture and abuse acceptable.
I really don't think you even have to go to a third-world culture to see animal abuse or torture. You can find it here in the US, and Europe as a part of everyday society. Industrial animal/livestock farming, animal testing, pet cosmetic alterations (cropped ears, tails, etc) and de-sexing (often done for the greater good of pet "overpopulation"), bullfighting, trophy hunting, etc etc are just some of the examples. I feel that a lot of it deals with perspective.

Last edited by Randmness; 01-31-2014 at 02:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events