Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2014, 08:09 PM

3,063 posts, read 3,269,699 times

Advertisements

I suppose, that he was chosen for a reason, the people who chose him believed on some level that he could contribute something important or that his words could make a positive impact to the audience at this event. Audience and purpose are key here--Vick was chosen because the people in this audience might respond better to him than other candidates, and he is most likely fulfilling a specific purpose that other "potentials" could not. I didn't really read the article, but I'm looking at this from an objective point of view(and addressing the OP) and assuming that this type of decision was based on a variety of components that he met more than other potential speakers that looked better on paper. I think it's too difficult to say whether--objectively speaking--he was the best person for this role. Depending on the audience, his purpose, what he might contribute, how relatable and identifiable his words are to this specific audience, are better indicators of his "value" and if he was a good choice. In other words, it's difficult to say so at this point. Depending on what people learn, once they get done listening to him, will give better insight on the choice that was made. Besides I believe too many people in this thread are projecting their subjective feelings, and their values, and morals of who THEY(the people of CD) would choose as a role model. The reality is that not everyone shares the same values, and beliefs, so the perfect role-model will vary from person to person. Vick might be the perfect role model for this particular audience. He might be the right guy, for a group of little black boys, that grew up in a similar environment. I think it's silly to impose your morals, and beliefs onto others and get into a tirade about what you believe he needed to do to repent, or how he isn't a good role model--these are projections and they just reflect YOU. You aren't the authority on what he needs to do to prove he's changed, or for that matter what type of man he should be before he can be a role-model or a good person. Time for people to get off the high-horse, and accept that not everyone thinks like you or even has to. And honestly thank GAWD for that!

I think it's funny reading comments left by so many people that harbor so much hatred against him. It's funny because, these people, with their hatred, judgement, and their own "ideas" of what punishment he should have(as if him meeting their expectations of someone who has rehabilitated is even remotely important to Vick or anyone really). Just goes to show one of the very amusing sides to humanity. People will hold others very high to certain standards, no matter if they were in a situation(whereas not necessarily the same but within the general arena of "crime", doing something that they shouldn't have done, or that is morally wrong to a certain group of people) and the same high standards were not applied to them. Newsflash there are millions of people in the world, that do "wrong" things(wrong in terms of what might not be right to SOME people), bad things, small things, big things, etc and most are not caught. The times in our lives where we've made bad decisions, we WANTED forgiveness and wanted "time" to heal all wounds, not be constantly reminded, or told what we *needed* to do, to meet some random joe smoe's in Iowa's definition of a true punishment. Thankfully, most people have no authority over what merits forgiveness, what punishment one should face, and whether or not a person has changed.

Sure, maybe Vick only CHANGED because he was caught, or didn't change, but put on the facade. So what? He is probably one, of plenty that do the same thing all the time--do something bad, get caught, pay the price, move on, and that is that. The only difference is that he is a rich athlete, in the public eye, and the public wants him to be this perfect person who makes no mistakes, does no wrong, and was never a product of an awful environment. They essentially want him to mirror their beliefs, their values, and their "perfect" ideal of how he SHOULD have been before and after his release. Fortunately he doesn't have to care what these group of individuals think--he has moved on with his life, and is laughing himself to the bank, while ironically some of you are hating him for it. He's the perfect story to me of someone who hit the bottom, faced some obstacles, and a hard time in his life--the result of bad decisions made, he then had to re-adjust his life, change his decisions, make better ones, and then slowly but surely he did make it right back to the top. To me, he pretty much mirrors on a general level, how one can overcome obstacles, trials, and bad decisions, and change their life for their better. His story, created a very large awareness for dog-fighting, how wrong it is, and the "price" to be paid for doing it. One could even argue, if he were not caught, this "issue" wouldn't be talked about so publically. I know plenty of people that identify with or respect Vick as a man, and would definitely like to hear him speak.

Besides even if he was a role-model to a GROUP of people, so what? Is it the end of the world, that there are kids, or people that look up to someone that doesn't share your values, or love animals the way you do? There are many people(public and those that are not public figures) that are looked up to, and they don't all share our values, come from the same cloth, etc, the people that look up to these people have their OWN reasons for doing so, and whatever their reasons are, I'm sure that they could care less that you loathe the man because he did things that you found morally incomprehensible. Everyone has different definitions of what makes someone their OWN role-model, just because Vick isn't a role model to YOU because he doesn't align with your values, or love dogs the way you do, doesn't mean that he can't be a role model to someone else who could care a hill of beans about dogs and what Vick did. There are others, like myself, who believe that he paid his dues, and that he can move on with his life, and while I don't look up to him, I respect his story. I'm sure I'll be flamed, but TBH I don't care.

Last edited by Faith2187; 02-10-2014 at 08:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2014, 07:25 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,504,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith2187 View Post
I suppose, that he was chosen for a reason, the people who chose him believed on some level that he could contribute something important or that his words could make a positive impact to the audience at this event. Audience and purpose are key here--Vick was chosen because the people in this audience might respond better to him than other candidates, and he is most likely fulfilling a specific purpose that other "potentials" could not. I didn't really read the article, but I'm looking at this from an objective point of view(and addressing the OP) and assuming that this type of decision was based on a variety of components that he met more than other potential speakers that looked better on paper. I think it's too difficult to say whether--objectively speaking--he was the best person for this role. Depending on the audience, his purpose, what he might contribute, how relatable and identifiable his words are to this specific audience, are better indicators of his "value" and if he was a good choice. In other words, it's difficult to say so at this point. Depending on what people learn, once they get done listening to him, will give better insight on the choice that was made. Besides I believe too many people in this thread are projecting their subjective feelings, and their values, and morals of who THEY(the people of CD) would choose as a role model. The reality is that not everyone shares the same values, and beliefs, so the perfect role-model will vary from person to person. Vick might be the perfect role model for this particular audience. He might be the right guy, for a group of little black boys, that grew up in a similar environment. I think it's silly to impose your morals, and beliefs onto others and get into a tirade about what you believe he needed to do to repent, or how he isn't a good role model--these are projections and they just reflect YOU. You aren't the authority on what he needs to do to prove he's changed, or for that matter what type of man he should be before he can be a role-model or a good person. Time for people to get off the high-horse, and accept that not everyone thinks like you or even has to. And honestly thank GAWD for that!

I think it's funny reading comments left by so many people that harbor so much hatred against him. It's funny because, these people, with their hatred, judgement, and their own "ideas" of what punishment he should have(as if him meeting their expectations of someone who has rehabilitated is even remotely important to Vick or anyone really). Just goes to show one of the very amusing sides to humanity. People will hold others very high to certain standards, no matter if they were in a situation(whereas not necessarily the same but within the general arena of "crime", doing something that they shouldn't have done, or that is morally wrong to a certain group of people) and the same high standards were not applied to them. Newsflash there are millions of people in the world, that do "wrong" things(wrong in terms of what might not be right to SOME people), bad things, small things, big things, etc and most are not caught. The times in our lives where we've made bad decisions, we WANTED forgiveness and wanted "time" to heal all wounds, not be constantly reminded, or told what we *needed* to do, to meet some random joe smoe's in Iowa's definition of a true punishment. Thankfully, most people have no authority over what merits forgiveness, what punishment one should face, and whether or not a person has changed.

Sure, maybe Vick only CHANGED because he was caught, or didn't change, but put on the facade. So what? He is probably one, of plenty that do the same thing all the time--do something bad, get caught, pay the price, move on, and that is that. The only difference is that he is a rich athlete, in the public eye, and the public wants him to be this perfect person who makes no mistakes, does no wrong, and was never a product of an awful environment. They essentially want him to mirror their beliefs, their values, and their "perfect" ideal of how he SHOULD have been before and after his release. Fortunately he doesn't have to care what these group of individuals think--he has moved on with his life, and is laughing himself to the bank, while ironically some of you are hating him for it. He's the perfect story to me of someone who hit the bottom, faced some obstacles, and a hard time in his life--the result of bad decisions made, he then had to re-adjust his life, change his decisions, make better ones, and then slowly but surely he did make it right back to the top. To me, he pretty much mirrors on a general level, how one can overcome obstacles, trials, and bad decisions, and change their life for their better. His story, created a very large awareness for dog-fighting, how wrong it is, and the "price" to be paid for doing it. One could even argue, if he were not caught, this "issue" wouldn't be talked about so publically. I know plenty of people that identify with or respect Vick as a man, and would definitely like to hear him speak.

Besides even if he was a role-model to a GROUP of people, so what? Is it the end of the world, that there are kids, or people that look up to someone that doesn't share your values, or love animals the way you do? There are many people(public and those that are not public figures) that are looked up to, and they don't all share our values, come from the same cloth, etc, the people that look up to these people have their OWN reasons for doing so, and whatever their reasons are, I'm sure that they could care less that you loathe the man because he did things that you found morally incomprehensible. Everyone has different definitions of what makes someone their OWN role-model, just because Vick isn't a role model to YOU because he doesn't align with your values, or love dogs the way you do, doesn't mean that he can't be a role model to someone else who could care a hill of beans about dogs and what Vick did. There are others, like myself, who believe that he paid his dues, and that he can move on with his life, and while I don't look up to him, I respect his story. I'm sure I'll be flamed, but TBH I don't care.
No matter how many words you type, at the end of the day, a person who tortures helpless animals will have to live with that decision the rest of his life - same as the rest of us have to live with decisons we make. In some circles, he will not be forgiven and he certainly will not be held in high esteem. Still better than dying by electrocution as he was so fond of, no?

I care little whether someone 'loves dogs the way I do' but that's hardly what we are talking about here.

Vick apologists amuse me.

Old 02-11-2014, 07:29 AM
PJA

2,462 posts, read 3,173,385 times
He sure will have to live that decision. Who are we to keep judging him on it? Especially since he already was punished for it! What a crazy world we live in that people get riled up over animals but could care less about a human life ESPECIALLY when said animal torturer has already been punished.

Old 02-11-2014, 07:49 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,629,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Zimmerman killed a black kid. Hell, he is a hero in a lot of people's eyes for that. Bieber is pretty so you already know he has a free pass for anything.
Zimmerman murdered a black kid and got away with it. Hence his celebrity among certain redneck, racist sectors.

Old 02-11-2014, 07:52 AM

24,835 posts, read 37,322,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
No matter how many words you type, at the end of the day, a person who tortures helpless animals will have to live with that decision the rest of his life - same as the rest of us have to live with decisons we make. In some circles, he will not be forgiven and he certainly will not be held in high esteem. Still better than dying by electrocution as he was so fond of, no?

I care little whether someone 'loves dogs the way I do' but that's hardly what we are talking about here.

Well said.

Vick not only tortured dogs....he "bank rolled" the operation so others could.

I do love and care for my dogs more than people.

Those dogs would have licked Vick's hands.

Old 02-11-2014, 08:08 AM
PJA

2,462 posts, read 3,173,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Well said.

Not trying to be harsh but sounds like you're the one with the issues...not Vick...and that goes for anyone who puts stock in an animal's life over a humans.

Old 02-11-2014, 08:17 AM

24,835 posts, read 37,322,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJA View Post
Not trying to be harsh but sounds like you're the one with the issues...not Vick...and that goes for anyone who puts stock in an animal's life over a humans.
Your post reinforces my stance about people.

Old 02-11-2014, 09:28 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,975,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Well said.

Freudian slip?

Old 02-11-2014, 09:29 AM

I never understood how a person can love animals more than human beings but I don't have to understand it. It's your prerogative. I put more stock into human beings and I see nothing wrong with Vick moving on with his life after paying his dues. I also think that he has lived with the bad decisions he has made and he has accepted his mistakes and has moved on even if there are people that don't want him to be able to!

Last edited by Faith2187; 02-11-2014 at 10:40 AM..

Old 02-11-2014, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post

What does it serve you to still be angry with a man over a crime he did 7 years ago? a crime to which he has been punished for? it's just silly really. I wish the same anger would be equal for all the people that get off doing worse things than torturing animals(that thankfully have been rescued and saved).
Im not a Vick apologist, I just choose not to condemn people who made bad decisions, paid the price and are trying to move on with their lives. I also see no point in projecting my values and morals on those that clearly have little in common with me. I think it's odd to love an animal more than a human being(which I suspect is one of the reasons people that love dogs more than human beings hate him). To each their own. I'm glad Vick is doing better and that people like those of city data have no bearing on his life. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events