Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2014, 09:59 AM
PJA

2,462 posts, read 3,175,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForLoveOnly View Post
Well, I know him.

And Marcus. You know...his loser brother who was hiding from a bunch of warrants, with the help of his brother, who let him hide out in one of his condos. They are only sorry that the ******* was caught. I wish I didn't know them. I wish they could truly experience, just a fraction, of the pain and torture they inflicted on those helpless pits and beagles.

My dogs HATE Micheal Vick. I would gladly release my work dog on him if given the opportunity. Not to kill him...just to have him experience a fraction of the pain he forced on them, purely for his own entertainment and profit. He really is an arrogant, self entitled jerk. He is not sorry for what he did. He laughs at the fools who believe that he regrets what he did.
What does his brother have to do with this??? You claim you know him, good for you. I'm sure he never told you he wasn't sorry or remorseful for what he did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2014, 10:08 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,337,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJA View Post
What does his brother have to do with this??? You claim you know him, good for you. I'm sure he never told you he wasn't sorry or remorseful for what he did.
I will ask you the same question.

Did Vick tell you he did not say that to For Love Only????

Old 02-13-2014, 11:07 AM

3,063 posts, read 3,271,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
but what about all the other people who grew up in the same sort of circumstances and knew intuitively that dog fighting and all of its associated activities were wrong and never chose to participate?? why would they know it was wrong and not Michael Vick??

I'll tell you why..... there is something terribly wrong and broken and damaged and missing in HIM.... and I don't think that it can ever be fixed..... he may never be involved again, but the propensity is THERE and always will be.......
There are always people who are able to go against the grain, but most do not. My mom was the only one in her entire family to go to college. She grew up in a single parent household. Her mom had her when she was 14. Her mother was a smoker. Her mother pretty much represented most of the stereotypes that are attributed to someone in her position(poverty, uneducated, etc) For all intent and purposes my mother was a statistic. She was never supposed to really do much with her life, beyond the minimum. Her three brothers and sisters followed suit, they all became smokers, they didn't do much beyond a HS education, they didn't see things the way my mom did in ANY shape or form. She went on to get a masters, she was a very brilliant woman and even to this day(she passed away a year ago) I look at the books that she once read and I can't comprehend how she could be such a deep, intellectual brilliant woman when raised by someone who was quite the opposite. However she had always went against the grain--this wasn't just within her family life, it was just HER. She was never one to follow suit. Those people who grew up around dog-fighting, and chose to not participate it might be similar to my mother in that they went against what they knew because deep down they wanted something different or felt something different. Vick, on the other hand, and his friends and family members that participated in it, obviously were no different than anyone else that tends to go with the masses instead of against.

How do you know that is something terribly "wrong" with him? Is Vick, not a product of his environment? Would it be more accurate to say that there is something terribly wrong when people are brought up an environments where "animal torture", violence, cruelty--is terribly wrong? Is it not possible to step out of this environment, become a different person(especially in his case, after he faced the music for his actions) and reframe your ideas? In other words, why is it so impossible to believe that he is a different man and that he may not be "broken" or "sick"? Are people defined by any one decision, even if all decisions after that decision, are different and positive?

Old 02-13-2014, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith2187 View Post
There are always people who are able to go against the grain, but most do not. My mom was the only one in her entire family to go to college. She grew up in a single parent household. Her mom had her when she was 14. Her mother was a smoker. Her mother pretty much represented most of the stereotypes that are attributed to someone in her position(poverty, uneducated, etc) For all intent and purposes my mother was a statistic. She was never supposed to really do much with her life, beyond the minimum. Her three brothers and sisters followed suit, they all became smokers, they didn't do much beyond a HS education, they didn't see things the way my mom did in ANY shape or form. She went on to get a masters, she was a very brilliant woman and even to this day(she passed away a year ago) I look at the books that she once read and I can't comprehend how she could be such a deep, intellectual brilliant woman when raised by someone who was quite the opposite. However she had always went against the grain--this wasn't just within her family life, it was just HER. She was never one to follow suit. Those people who grew up around dog-fighting, and chose to not participate it might be similar to my mother in that they went against what they knew because deep down they wanted something different or felt something different. Vick, on the other hand, and his friends and family members that participated in it, obviously were no different than anyone else that tends to go with the masses instead of against.

How do you know that is something terribly "wrong" with him? Is Vick, not a product of his environment? Would it be more accurate to say that there is something terribly wrong when people are brought up an environments where "animal torture", violence, cruelty--is terribly wrong? Is it not possible to step out of this environment, become a different person(especially in his case, after he faced the music for his actions) and reframe your ideas? In other words, why is it so impossible to believe that he is a different man and that he may not be "broken" or "sick"? Are people defined by any one decision, even if all decisions after that decision, are different and positive?
It was NOT one decision.

Many dogs were tortured.

Vick bank rolled the operation for years.

Old 02-13-2014, 11:55 AM

1,326 posts, read 1,138,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
It's funny...I'd be more likely to attend an event where Vick was the speaker.

I find it a very strong thing to be hated by mainstream America yet still forge ahead.

Dog fighting, **** fighting, bull fighting....stuff that's been going on for years, and will continue to do so.

Being caught up in it as an adult, if it was around you as a child, is natural.

I rather see those preachy ethicists calling another man, a more capable one than them in many regards, scum/junk/trash vilified just as much.
Oh give me a break. He's damn lucky he got a second chance, one I don't think he deserves. There are plenty of people who grew up in similar neighborhoods in this area that have found success and actually choose to do good by being a positive role model when they become rich and famous.

Quote:
I get the sense that the vitriol has nothing to do with the well being of animals and more to do with stewing in the collective hate for one man, or thing, or purpose. It's a very ugly person who will descends to the hatred of a man for feelings of self fulfillment.
You have no clue in this case. Maybe an eye for an eye, or in this case, cutting vicks ears and tail off with a pair of scissors. Oh wait he doesn't have a tail so maybe another body part in the same general area would be fair? And then throw him in a ring with a bunch of scared, starving, abused, tortured pits and beagles? Sounds fair to me.

Old 02-13-2014, 11:59 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,027,284 times
somehow, I find it hard to believe that most people do not see the inherent WRONG in animal abuse and torture, no matter the circumstances of their birth.... and then choose to not participate in such activities....

In fact, I believe that the abuser/torturer is the aberration, not the norm.... even for those brought up in difficult circumstances......

the story about your mother was very nice and can be matched by my own mother's story... having been raised in an orphanage and then going on to get her own Master's Degree......

Old 02-13-2014, 12:48 PM

1,326 posts, read 1,138,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJA View Post
Let me ask you a question. Have you ever done a rescue? Have you ever held a helpless tortured bait puppy? After having it's ears and tail cut off with a pair of scissors, then is thrown into a ring to be attacked, then pulled out right before it would be killed, over and over and over again? Can you even imagine a human being thinking that was even a little bit normal?

His brother was just as deeply involved. And no, vicks never even bothered to say sorry nor did he offer to pay for the care of not only the horribly abused dogs, that trained fosters immediately took in, he never even asked about his prized pits that he bred and sold that also had to go into emergency care.

He abused and tortured many, many dogs. He also chose to properly care for a very lucky few. He made a choice knowing the difference between right and wrong. He knew what he was doing and he knew it was wrong. It was a secret and he got busted. He was never sorry for doing it, he was only sorry that he got caught.

Old 02-13-2014, 01:06 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,027,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForLoveOnly View Post
Let me ask you a question. Have you ever done a rescue? Have you ever held a helpless tortured bait puppy? After having it's ears and tail cut off with a pair of scissors, then is thrown into a ring to be attacked, then pulled out right before it would be killed, over and over and over again? Can you even imagine a human being thinking that was even a little bit normal?

His brother was just as deeply involved. And no, vicks never even bothered to say sorry nor did he offer to pay for the care of not only the horribly abused dogs, that trained fosters immediately took in, he never even asked about his prized pits that he bred and sold that also had to go into emergency care.

He abused and tortured many, many dogs. He also chose to properly care for a very lucky few. He made a choice knowing the difference between right and wrong. He knew what he was doing and he knew it was wrong. It was a secret and he got busted. He was never sorry for doing it, he was only sorry that he got caught.

reps owed once the fairy frees my wand again.....

EXACTLY what I have been saying all along.......

Old 02-13-2014, 03:53 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,983,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
somehow, I find it hard to believe that most people do not see the inherent WRONG in animal abuse and torture, no matter the circumstances of their birth.... and then choose to not participate in such activities....

In fact, I believe that the abuser/torturer is the aberration, not the norm.... even for those brought up in difficult circumstances......

the story about your mother was very nice and can be matched by my own mother's story... having been raised in an orphanage and then going on to get her own Master's Degree......
It's the same reason why people go out and harm people, or murder them, or abuse them, people make bad decisions and are often times a product of their environment.

Unless you have been around or grew up in that kind of culture, it's hard to rationalize it. Imagine if we could understand why criminals do what they do. We probably could stop a lot of situations like the one Michael Vick was involved in, but you will never get to that point by assuming that something can be done to change the behavior. These individuals aren't lab rats, they are people who need to learn and make better choices.

Old 02-14-2014, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtvatitans View Post
It's the same reason why people go out and harm people, or murder them, or abuse them, people make bad decisions and are often times a product of their environment.

Unless you have been around or grew up in that kind of culture, it's hard to rationalize it. Imagine if we could understand why criminals do what they do. We probably could stop a lot of situations like the one Michael Vick was involved in, but you will never get to that point by assuming that something can be done to change the behavior. These individuals aren't lab rats, they are people who need to learn and make better choices.
Then we agree...

Since they can not go back and change childhood teachings and environment.

They can't really change......just control things.....maybe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events