Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 08:30 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,423,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
You have never made a mistake like leaving a door open? Why, such galliant and flawless salnts you are.
Lord have mercy, I know! Wonder if they would shoot my Westie or my little Yorkie if they got out?

My 92 year old father moved in with us and when he did at first - he did NOT have the hang of opening the front door so that the dogs couldn't run out. Everytime someone knocked at the door - he would open it WIDE and out went the Westie! The yorkie could care less.

Thank Goodness I have great neighbors. They always helped me chase Ringo and no one got shot!

Oh, and Dad finally learned how to open the door just a CRACK and how to use his body language to keep Ringo (the Westie) away from the door area.

It's a shame the dog was shot. Mistakes do happen. IF the dog was acting violently, then that is another story but that is not what I read.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2014, 10:55 AM

1,535 posts, read 1,381,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
EXACTLY!

There was a story in the news where I am a week or so ago where a cop car came over a hill/railroad track, barreling down the street in pursuit of someone. A homeowners dog chose that exact moment to cross the street. Oops!

I have absolutely no sympathy for its incredibly stupid owner. Of course all the news stories leaned on how dangerous it can be for the public when a cop chases a bad guy. Huh? It's his job!
Actually, it may or may not be his job to chase that particular person and it may or may not be his job to chase him in that particular manner.

Police departments have policies on when, where, and why somebody maybe chased. People, not just dogs have been killed by cops barreling through residential areas in pursuit of minor criminals. Such things do little to increase confidence in the police.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
It's a shame the dog was shot. Mistakes do happen. IF the dog was acting violently, then that is another story but that is not what I read.
I think the whole incident is centered on the fuzzy dividing line between needing to do something vs "needing" to do do something. The facts in this case can probably be spun either way.

Old 02-01-2014, 03:47 PM

628 posts, read 1,312,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnHawk View Post
Wrong. Research California's leash laws.
OK: Leash Law - The City of Los Angeles

https://admin.publichealth.lacounty....fs/petlaws.pdf

Seems like if the dog is on the owners property, then it doesn't have to be leashed.

Old 02-01-2014, 09:35 PM

339 posts, read 775,198 times
California state law trumps local/city laws.

Old 02-02-2014, 01:43 AM

10,137 posts, read 17,422,634 times
Honestly I read this a bit fast, if the pitbull was on their property and not acting aggressively the cops were in the wrong, but if the dog was outside the property and approaching aggressively the cops had every right to shoot. That bread has a horrible rep for good reason, and we all know it.

If that is such a safe bread of dog why don't insurance companies write policies for pitbull owners and no one wants to rent to them.

Old 02-02-2014, 04:22 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,793,825 times
Quote:
That bread has a horrible rep for good reason, and we all know it.

If that is such a safe bread of dog why don't insurance companies write policies for pitbull owners and no one wants to rent to them.
I've never heard of a dangerous bread.

Old 02-02-2014, 09:09 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,210,728 times
If I understand the facts correctly, this dog was shot on the homeowner's property.

Is that correct?

Why on earth would an UNINVITED law enforcement officer, who had not been summoned due to an attack taking place, shoot a dog that was in the legal confines of the dog's owner?

If the officer walked onto the homeowner's property, uninvited, why would he shoot that home owner's dog, if the dog was not attacking someone on the property (and not attacking him, either).

I do not understand why an officer would shoot someone's dog on that owner's property when no call had been made re: an attack taking place.

Old 02-02-2014, 09:10 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,142,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
The biscuits I had for breakfast yesterday could definitely be called dangerous.

Old 02-02-2014, 09:13 AM

6,520 posts, read 8,323,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
are you serious or joking?
Joking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
They say white bread is the most dangerous but it's my favorite.

Old 02-02-2014, 09:50 AM

14,349 posts, read 14,165,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Yep dont these people have to pass a mental evaluation before becoming a police officer or are they just letting anyone on the force now ? it makes me sick that we have nut cases for police officers . Yep I would be more afraid of the police than I would a pitbull ...I hope this poor woman sues them for all they are worth .
Assuming the police are in the wrong, I can tell you legally the woman's damages are limited to the cost of buying another dog of the same breed and type. She doesn't get money for pain and suffering or for the distress she suffered. People may have this affectionate relationship with dogs. However, for purposes of damages, the law treats them as property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events