Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 05:57 PM

6,354 posts, read 7,762,172 times

Advertisements

Just yesterday, I started reading her book, (well, listening to an unabridged audio recording read by herself). So far, she is nothing like I imagined her to be. Too soon to develop an informed opinion. However, no way on this earth will the U.S. extradite her to Italy. They may expend the expense of sending someone to Perugia to take a look at the evidence. That's as far as it will go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2014, 06:05 PM

4,792 posts, read 8,186,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aplcr0331 View Post
She probably won't be.

Amanda Knox Verdict: Italian Court Finds American Student Guilty Of Murder

"Knox and Sollecito's case will return to the supreme court. If the verdict is upheld, Italy could seek to have Knox extradited in order to serve her sentence. This process could take months, and according to legal experts, the U.S. might challenge extradition on the basis of "double jeopardy," a defense that forbids a defendant from being tried again for the same crime after an acquittal."
Which laws regarding Double Jeopardy would they follow?Our law or the country where the crime and trial occurred??

Old 01-30-2014, 06:07 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,437,452 times
The bloodlust here is positively scary. There are those who I suspect that if it were to be proven beyond any doubt, even if the Italian courts exonerated her, would still want to see her severely punished.

Old 01-30-2014, 06:10 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,039,578 times
We don't allow double jeopardy in our country....so they should not extradite her back to Italy.

It is no different than the many countries that will not allow anyone to be extradited from their country to the US because we have the death penalty and they don't.

Old 01-30-2014, 06:13 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,431,910 times
Does this mean they will be releasing Rudy Guende? After all, he is serving 30 years for the murder and rape of Meredith Kercher and nothing about his conviction implicates Amanda. Similarly, nothing about Amanda's conviction implicates Rudy.

So either one of them is let off, or Italy is trying to arrest two different people for the same crime while neither cases involve the other.

Old 01-30-2014, 06:28 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,039,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogead View Post
She should be extradited. the fact that she is out of prison at all is largely a reflection of the fact that she is wealthy, female, white, and sexually attractive. Take away any one of those characteristics, and she'd likely still be incarcerated.

My guess is that she won't be extradited, and will continue to play the victim. Her book will bring her a lot more fame and money. Meredith Kercher will still be dead, and Sollecito will pay the price alone.
I feel she has been unjustly vilified because she is so attractive.

If she was fat and ugly......I doubt the Italians would have dreamed up a sex orgy as a motive or looked at her as a suspect at all.

From what I have seen, the Italian justice system is incredibly corrupt. They make up scenarios and ignore hard evidence. They should be embarrassed and ashamed, IMO.

Amanda IS a victim.....of the sloppy and corrupt justice system in Italy.

Amanda and her boyfriend are innocent.....not a doubt in my mind.

Old 01-30-2014, 06:38 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,607,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
I doubt the liberals in the US would allow her to be extradited.

The US would be setting a bad precedence by not extraditing, though.

There may be a serial killer or terrorist that flees from the US to a country we do have an extradition agreement with and they will say " NO"

Be careful what you liberals wish for !
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
You know I hate the way these countries expect the United states to bend over back wards and give them what they want ..I would tell Italy to kiss our great big american red , white and blue !!!

Teddy52 thinks phonelady61 is a big ol liberal.

Old 01-30-2014, 06:41 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,378,548 times
Default Extradite Knox

Kudos to the Italian court. I trust the verdict. Conniving Knox should be extradited for what she did. Not right for this country to prevent justice from being served. Double jeopardy doesn't apply here.

Absolutely tragic and sad that Meredith was killed, and I for one won't lose any sleep knowing that Knox is locked up for what she did. She was over there to study, not kill someone.

Old 01-30-2014, 06:44 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,431,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Does this mean they will be releasing Rudy Guende? After all, he is serving 30 years for the murder and rape of Meredith Kercher and nothing about his conviction implicates Amanda. Similarly, nothing about Amanda's conviction implicates Rudy.

So either one of them is let off, or Italy is trying to arrest two different people for the same crime while neither cases involve the other.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
Kudos to the Italian court. I trust the verdict. Conniving Knox should be extradited for what she did. Not right for this country to prevent justice from being served. Double jeopardy doesn't apply here.

Absolutely tragic and sad that Meredith was killed, and I for one won't lose any sleep knowing that Knox is locked up for what she did. She was over there to study, not kill someone.

So, which is it?

Old 01-30-2014, 06:54 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,254,341 times
If you have followed this trial from the beginning (the actual trial--not the tabs) and read all of the evidence, it is quite obvious there is not one shred of forensic evidence against Knox or Solecito. They have the murderer, Rudy Guede, locked up in jail already as his DNA was all over the murder scene. The Italians seem to believe that any fingerprints or DNA from Knox and Solecito magically disappeared. When arrested Guede said he did not know Amanda Knox or her boyfriend. After the corrupt Prosecutor Mignini (who is coincidentally being tried for obstruction of justice) got to Guede, he changed his story and implicated Knox and magically his sentence was lightened by a decade. Anyone who believes in science knows she is innocent. The Italians should worry about their corrupt leaders (like Berlusconi) and stop wasting the taxpayer money re-trying an innocent woman three times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events