Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 10:23 PM

3,765 posts, read 4,097,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
You know I hate the way these countries expect the United states to bend over back wards and give them what they want ..I would tell Italy to kiss our great big american red , white and blue !!!

If the US does that, I certainly hope that Italy does the same if they have someone that is wanted in the US. Treat others as you would want to be treated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2014, 10:26 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,249,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
Blacks thought OJ was innocent also.

At least they had a court to back up their claim.
The difference is that there was physical evidence in the case of OJ. There was blood on his clothes that he brought with him from the crime scene. He had beaten Nicole Simpson in the past so it fit in with his MO that he would attack her and was insanely jealous and controlling.

In the Knox case, this type of behavior is totally alien to and inconsistent with any behavior of her past or present--she may be attractive, but she is basically a nerdy shy bookworm. The Italians claimed she got "high on marijuana" and proceeded with a drug-fueled violent satanic murder. Serious? On marijuana? No forensic evidence from Knox or Solecito. Zip. Nada. And, oh yeah, they have the rapist murderer in jail and his DNA all over the scene. Very different from OJ. And btw, a court did declare her innocent.

The prosecutor Mignini had previously accused American journalist Douglas Preston in Florence of being a satanic serial killer--The Monster of Florence-- and he had been telling his shocking story in the US long before Mignini pounced on Knox. What happened to Mr. Preston in Italy gives one an entirely new perspective on this case.

People should have read everything relating to this case--evidence, transcripts--before even commenting on this case built on tabloid sensationalism.

Crime author, Knox prosecutor butted heads - CNN.com

Old 01-30-2014, 10:33 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,815,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
The difference is that there was physical evidence in the case of OJ. There was blood on his clothes that he brought with him from the crime scene. He had beaten Nicole Simpson in the past so it fit in with his MO that he would attack her and was insanely jealous and controlling.

In the Knox case, this type of behavior is totally alien to and inconsistent with any behavior of her past or present--she may be attractive, but she is basically a nerdy shy bookworm. The Italians claimed she got "high on marijuana" and proceeded with a drug-fueled violent satanic murder. Serious? On marijuana? No forensic evidence from Knox or Solecito. Zip. Nada. And, oh yeah, they have the rapist murderer in jail and his DNA all over the scene. Very different from OJ. And btw, a court did declare her innocent.

The prosecutor Mignini had previously accused American journalist Douglas Preston in Florence of being a satanic serial killer--The Monster of Florence-- and he had been telling his shocking story in the US long before Mignini pounced on Knox. What happened to Mr. Preston in Italy gives one an entirely new perspective on this case.

People should have read everything relating to this case--evidence, transcripts--before even commenting on this case built on tabloid sensationalism.

Crime author, Knox prosecutor butted heads - CNN.com
Seriously, I read all about that and was shocked. He basically accused a journalist of being a serial killer even though other countries provided an alibi for the journalist - meaning, he wasn't even in Italy when most of the murders took place! The prosecutor is insane - he decides on a story he wants to sell to the public, and then does so, regardless of whether his story is true or not. He's under investigation right now for his methods.

Old 01-31-2014, 12:15 AM

3,928 posts, read 4,904,959 times
This case really freaks me out as a parent. Sure my kids are young now but college will come around soon enough. You hope your child would be safe studying in a place like Italy but one girl gets murdered in her room and the roommate is falsely accused of that murder with NO forensic evidence. This is just crazy! I just started following this case and I am thankful that I live in the U.S. where our judicial system is FAR from perfect but a hell of a lot better than this crap in Italy!

Old 01-31-2014, 02:43 AM

490 posts, read 681,957 times
Reports starting to circulate that Sollecito has been stopped by Italian police near the Austrian border.

BBC News - Sollecito 'stopped near border'

Last edited by Stewart G. Griffin; 01-31-2014 at 04:02 AM.. Reason: update on link

Old 01-31-2014, 06:05 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,069,126 times
Here is an idea Let us all americans quit traveling to Italy and every american who lives there move out of Italy ...watch how fast Italy would change their mind .

Old 01-31-2014, 08:09 AM

3,433 posts, read 5,743,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisfitBanana View Post
There are plenty of countries whose own legal system doesn't support the death penalty, and they won't extradite their citizens to the US when they think the death penalty may be enforced. So why should the US extradite one of our citizens when our laws, and our constitution, prevent double jeopardy from happening? There won't be repercussions for the US not extraditing her. More over, to push for her extradition is the same as saying that the Italian justice system trumps a US citizen's constitutional rights.

I laughed so hard I spilled my coffee..............."a US citizen's constitutional rights "

Are you referring to the US constitution ?

Once you leave the borders of the US you have no "constitutional rights " inside a foreign country.

Some of you make it sound like the US CONSTITUTION is recognized world wide.

Hate to burst your bubble, but it isn't !

Old 01-31-2014, 08:30 AM

1,660 posts, read 2,532,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
By that thinking, should our country remove its citizens who commit crimes in other countries where that crime is not a crime here?

If I'm found with booze in Saudi Arabia and arrested, she the US Embassy come save me?

No they shouldn't, but if you somehow made it back to the US then we should stand behind you and tell the other country to back off. The problem with you liberals is that you want to be everyone's friend in the world and you don't realize that these "friends" would slit our throat if they had the chance. Wake up and smell the coffee.

Old 01-31-2014, 08:54 AM

254 posts, read 318,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart G. Griffin View Post
The Italian court has sentenced her to 28 years.

Should/will she be extradited or should she stay in America. Do you trust the verdict?
Guilty or innocent she would have been innocent in U.S. courts I'm sure. Italian courts deal with white people all the time. So, Italian police and courts likely treat whites much the same U.S. police and courts treat blacks: guilty at interrogation and the job of the cops is to build a case against you (what Amanda Knox in her Good Morning America interview called "bias interviewing" by the police) the job of the courts is to try you and sentence you.

I know a young Black-American male that was guilty of his non-violent crime but almost went to tears (got choked up) recounting to me the possibility he was about to spend many years of his life in prison.

My point here is that not only "the innocent" shed tears or get choked up at a likely 28 year prison sentence hanging over their head.

I don't know the Knox case. So, I won't judge her. I had read that female prison guards treated her like a daughter, a child, entering her cell to comfort her while she cried (Not going to happen in an American prison for either males or females). I can't say if this is true. The guards I think claimed it was. But I think I recall Knox later claiming the guards mistreated her.

If (not saying the guards were true) the guards did treat her like a small daughter, cradle and comfort Knox with motherly affection, and if Knox did lie about being mistreated by the guards, then it seems quite probable she can participate in intentional or accidental homicide and lie about it.

Old 01-31-2014, 09:00 AM

11,755 posts, read 14,643,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
But isn't double jeopardy and American thing?
Yes it is, and it's a very important protection. It's very clear that the standards and protections of the Italian criminal justice system do not approach ours. I do not think she did it, but at a minimum there is nothing in the procedures afforded her that indicates a strong reliability of this new verdict.

If the prosecution are determined to keep trying and trying until they get the result they want that inspires little confidence in their system of justice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events