U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2014, 11:16 AM

1,063 posts, read 1,094,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
So the south cannot handle snow. Anyone want to talk about how bad the northeast handled Sandy?
More like how the insurance companies handled Sandy.

Most people can't rebuild because they're still waiting on insurance claims. Hard to "handle" being homeless.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2014, 11:50 AM

1,480 posts, read 2,302,705 times
People are too caught up in the relatively low inches of snow. In my experience icy roads with just an inch of snow can be ten times worse than a foot of wet snow.

Old 01-31-2014, 12:16 PM

918 posts, read 1,039,003 times
bonnielisabeth hits the nail on the head.

You complain that people did not have common sense, that may be true because some idiot friends on FB reported being stuck after going out for random errands. But my sympathy are for the workers that had to goto work or was working. Its the greedy managers that did not have foresight to let there employees off, especially the non-essential office workers. Hence its not people unable to make the decision without the govt, but they are compelled by there empoyers to be at work.

Old 01-31-2014, 12:40 PM

14,374 posts, read 7,916,313 times
I think there's an aspect of denial that prompts people to put themselves in harms way. I remember our big blizzard of 2011 when people were stranded on the highways. It was my first day back to work after being up in Maine with all their glorious snow. The blizzard started at 230 in the afternoon while I was on my way to work. I knew what was going to happen so I just packed a bag with extra clothes. I couldn't believe how many people left work that night in super dangerous conditions with the I have to get home mentality. We were fortunate that everyone who did leave made it home in one piece. It took some 4 hours to get home in an hour commute. I think the people in Georgia were just caught off guard. Two inches of snow here in the Midwest doesn't shut down airports, schools, or highways. Wasn't it the ice on the roads that threw a monkey wrench into every thing? Here in the Midwest when there's a threat of snow coming you can drive on the highways and see the plows ready to drop salt and plow as soon as it starts snowing. Georgia probably doesn't have the manpower we have here because really how often does this happen there? We saw on the news that one town only had three snow plows and were waiting for more to arrive. I have to agree with the lack of common sense aspect that people should have stayed home, but I can also understand the lack of manpower and supplies to handle the storm. We have to have tons of salt and a whole lot of manpower or we'd be stuck at home or at work for days every week. Especially this winter. We've had twice the snow as normal already and another six inches coming this weekend. Let it snow let it snow let it snow. Some people are making a ton of money this winter.

Old 01-31-2014, 12:55 PM

10,459 posts, read 5,922,719 times
Yeah all those stupid teachers should have known to stay home even though school was open and their classes were waiting for them. Some people do not have the option of just blowing off work when they don't feel like going. Or is that a stupid thought too?

Old 01-31-2014, 01:07 PM

21,187 posts, read 30,351,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Yes.

However, they are just as stupid as those who stayed in Galveston knowing Ike was coming and those in New Orleans when Katrina was on the way.

The issue is ratio of stupid people. Some areas have more "I'm used to being told what to do" idiots than others.

The real problem is those people relying on the nanny state continues to grow in number.
Seriously? Care to prove that with some kind of relevant information...or are you just parroting conservative TV news jargon?

Old 01-31-2014, 01:08 PM

4,036 posts, read 8,936,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Some employees (not just medical professionals) are considered essential employees and are expected to go in no matter what the weather is like. Some other people can't afford to lose their job...if your boss says you're fired if you don't go in, you're probably going to go in, because it's just not that easy to find a new job these days.
I agree. Most employees, especially at the lower levels, can’t just call and say: “Snow is predicted so I’m not coming in.”

Old 01-31-2014, 01:34 PM

35,324 posts, read 25,158,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
So the south cannot handle snow. Anyone want to talk about how bad the northeast handled Sandy?

Comparing 2" of snow to the second costliest hurricane ever? Seriously?

Relatively speaking, Sandy was handled fairly well.

Old 01-31-2014, 01:43 PM

7,484 posts, read 8,029,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notoriouskelly View Post
Yes, hitman- saw interesting drone coverage of similar situation in Alabama LiveLeak.com - Drone Footage: Alabama Winter Storm 2014
That was kinda cool
Georgia/Alabama is not use to this type of bad weather, so you calling these people stupid makes you look stupid

Old 01-31-2014, 01:51 PM

1,613 posts, read 1,938,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Comparing 2" of snow to the second costliest hurricane ever? Seriously?

Relatively speaking, Sandy was handled fairly well.
Yeah, that was a pretty stupid comment. Comparing a couple of inches to snow to second most expensive hurricane in global history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or