U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2014, 05:09 PM

2,975 posts, read 2,702,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Again, the National Weather Service predicted flurries. Maybe a mild dusting. In fact, even workers at The Weather Channel in Atlanta were caught flatfooted and couldnt make it home. So if the Weather Service didn't predict this, how could a bunch of school superintendents?

I find these explanations from the people of Atlanta very hard to believe. This was not an earthquake without warning, it was a snowstorm with warning.

Having parents who were lifelong teachers I know well why the schools were not closed. School administrators everywhere are so afraid of losing one day or even a few hours of school. In the south, they are afraid that if they closed schools and the storm was mild or only rain, they would never hear the end of it. Next time they should err on the side of caution, but I honestly believe they are too stupid to do that.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2014, 05:20 PM

13,161 posts, read 20,780,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
I find these explanations from the people of Atlanta very hard to believe. This was not an earthquake without warning, it was a snowstorm with warning.

Having parents who were lifelong teachers I know well why the schools were not closed. School administrators everywhere are so afraid of losing one day or even a few hours of school. In the south, they are afraid that if they closed schools and the storm was mild or only rain, they would never hear the end of it. Next time they should err on the side of caution, but I honestly believe they are too stupid to do that.
And, again, the use of the word "stupid" to describe an entire region is offensive. At the start of the school/work day, there was nary a flake falling.

Carry on with your smug judgment. We're going to be 60 degrees this weekend. That's worth the experience of the past week. And, one thing the south has, is hospitality. The stranded drivers and school children were welcomed into homes, and stores, all over the area.

Old 01-31-2014, 05:52 PM

18,852 posts, read 31,703,820 times
One of the main issues in Atlanta, is lack of public transportation, like a train system. That town is car reliant. No one uses alternative transportation there. A large city, surrounded by urban sprawl, all interconnected by highways, no train system. Lack of long range infrastructure, problems with transit planning.

Old 01-31-2014, 06:05 PM

2,995 posts, read 6,482,723 times
If you want to see the traffic flow in action take a look at this time-lapse video of Atlanta traffic from 5 am tomidnight on Tuesday.

AJC Videos and Photos | www.ajc.com

Old 01-31-2014, 06:19 PM

8,791 posts, read 5,651,894 times
The number of days the weather forecast calls for snow can greatly exceed the number of times it actually does snow. Some people cannot afford to take a unpaid day off on a chance it will snow.

Btw, if your intellect was as superior as you seem to think it was, you wouldn't have asked such a stupid question.

Old 01-31-2014, 06:25 PM

14,374 posts, read 7,916,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
People are too caught up in the relatively low inches of snow. In my experience icy roads with just an inch of snow can be ten times worse than a foot of wet snow.

I'll agree with you on that one. I've heard for years about black ice but never experienced it until last year in the parking lot coming out of work. I never even saw it and just went down without warning. I can't imagine what it's like being in a car and totally out of control. I'm wondering why the schools weren't closed? Ours have been closed four times already this year along with all government offices. I work in a hospital and I had to get to work. It was difficult and a lot of people called in so those of us left worked killer hours. Life doesn't stop because of the weather.

Old 01-31-2014, 06:34 PM

2,975 posts, read 2,702,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
And, again, the use of the word "stupid" to describe an entire region is offensive. At the start of the school/work day, there was nary a flake falling.

Carry on with your smug judgment. We're going to be 60 degrees this weekend. That's worth the experience of the past week. And, one thing the south has, is hospitality. The stranded drivers and school children were welcomed into homes, and stores, all over the area.

You misunderstood what I wrote, so I quoted us both. I did not call the people of the Atlanta region stupid. I called the school superintendents who did not close the schools stupid. They had plenty of warning. Check out the NBC Nightly News online. They said that the first warning of two inches of snow came on Sunday afternoon, two days before the storm. There were several more warnings in the next 48 hours. I understand that the South does not have the snow equipment that the north has, and I don't expect them to be prepared. I do expect the school boards to know this and cancel school if necessary.

Just to make things clear, the people of Atlanta are smart, and the school superintendents who did not close the schools are stupid, and I stand by that statement.

And don't try to make me envious with your sixty degrees. I enjoy freezing up here. The more snow the better. I'm glad global warming was just a fad.

Old 01-31-2014, 06:43 PM

1 posts, read 770 times
Default snow in atlanta

where and when in ohio did your cities shut down for 3 ins of snow .the DOT in Atlanta were waiting for the snow and then to put salt and sand on the road that was the screw up here. I move from new York to here and never missed work because of snow. and live about 45 miles outside the city.

Old 01-31-2014, 06:54 PM

56,014 posts, read 54,523,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Cpg, I can't rep you again, so I'll state my thanks here. I already reported the offensive title of this thread, but I don't possess your patience to answer the OP.

Trust me people, the snow/ice was not expected. The south does not own de-icing/salting equipment in the quantities the north does.

I'm a NJ native and can well remember snowstorms that took me 8 hours to get home in, from Wayne to Westwood. I passed many cars on Rt 46 that couldn't handle the mild elevations. It isn't just the south that battles winter weather, it's just more amplified here, because it gives the north something to mock.
That's what I was thinking. Why would these places in the south even have sufficient equipment on hand to clear snow/de-ice roads?

As for the inaccuracy of the weather reports--here in NJ/the New York metro area, we had a good-sized snowfall last week. We were warned that it was coming, and that some places would get up to a foot, but still, THAT MORNING, I was watching the news at 6 a.m. and they were still saying the snow would start at NOON and that the commute home might be a problem because snow would be heavy at rush hour.

NINE A.M.--three hours later, the snow starts falling fast and heavy. By 2 p.m., people realized that if they were going to get home, they'd better bail out now. The roads were a mess and the public transportation was late and overcrowded. It took me four hours to get home and only that fast because I left work early.

I once read that the meteorologists have a 60% accuracy rate. Nice job when you only have to be right a little more than half the time, eh?

Old 01-31-2014, 06:58 PM

7,281 posts, read 8,870,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
The number of days the weather forecast calls for snow can greatly exceed the number of times it actually does snow. Some people cannot afford to take a unpaid day off on a chance it will snow.

Btw, if your intellect was as superior as you seem to think it was, you wouldn't have asked such a stupid question.
Some people can't afford to take a day off but can afford to sit in their car all day waiting for a rescue.

Maybe you can explain that a little better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or