U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 11:22 AM

12,577 posts, read 13,302,282 times

Advertisements

The really funny part about this thread? Northerners are not any better when it comes to dealing with snow and ice. People live in the snow belt all their lives yet still have the audicity to act surprised when it snows. I know this because it snows up north first and I'm watching the highlight reels of traffic pile ups on the evening news.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2014, 07:38 PM

56,003 posts, read 54,508,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Exactly what happened in Houston that same day. Huge paranoia and schools closed, but tthere was noice on the roads.
You sound as if you're from "Lawnguyland".

"I wanna Coke, noice."

Old 02-01-2014, 07:59 PM

5,682 posts, read 8,752,084 times
Quote:
lack of public transportation, like a train system.
Good lord Jasper, please do a little research before you spout off such inanity.

Atlanta does very much have a train system. Who told you otherwise?

My little city got the same snowstorm, minimal traffic problems, and we have no trains. Should I conclude that trains cause the traffic problem?

That last paragraph was originally meant to be sarcastic but you could argue that the money we save by not subsidizing trains was spent on the brine trucks.

Old 02-01-2014, 08:56 PM

23,397 posts, read 28,234,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
You also have salt or sanded streets, and experience driving in those conditions. Big difference.
They also have tires designed for driving on snow.

Old 02-01-2014, 09:14 PM

20,195 posts, read 12,105,285 times
We had the same problem in Hurricane Andrew,,, nothing was said about going home- employers were like its not hitting us directly and so forth, people could not reach kids-- kids were stranded and before you know it 100,000 cars all going in the same direction- north! took my dad 15 hrs to get to Tampa from Hollywood, I sent him to my sisters. Since that hurricane, just the smell of one coming close to S-FL the mayors call it -gets on TV -Special Task force is activated (RRT)- and all are asked to go HOME and employers let you go- why? Major suits happened with Andrew, people were not allowed to leave work. I do not call anyone stupid, the storm turned out to be something they didn't expect, and I txt a friend in Canada and I warn her, WHITE OUT snowconditions,,, from what I see and hear, she NOT hearing the same on her TV in Canada
!!!. I do wonder if they tell the media don't scare the folks! Just like in the movies, HOLD back don't want panic effect. ? I really do wonder now.
As for work,,, none of us have radios blaring, TV's, or open PCs (google)-- we do not know all while working.
I have alerts on my cell now,,, that is new on smart phones, but most,,, oblivious. Some places cells are not allowed at the work place...lunch or breaks time only. so stop judging...

Old 02-01-2014, 10:05 PM

9,137 posts, read 8,281,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Slate magazine has an interesting historical perspective on the matter:

Atlanta’s snow fiasco: The real problem in the South isn’t weather, it’s history.
WTF? Seriously, WTF?

Old 02-02-2014, 12:51 AM

4,649 posts, read 6,477,998 times
The real question is did Waffle House close?

Old 02-02-2014, 07:29 AM

28,905 posts, read 46,712,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
The real question is did Waffle House close?
Nope. If it did, you know that would have been the apocalypse.

Old 02-02-2014, 07:59 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,787,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
So the south cannot handle snow. Anyone want to talk about how bad the northeast handled Sandy?
You think the south could have handle that better?

Old 02-02-2014, 08:33 AM

28,905 posts, read 46,712,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
You think the south could have handle that better?
Since Sandy was a Category 1, sure. We were on the Florida Panhandle once when a Cat 1 came through. We just went inland ten miles, holed up in an elementary school, waited a few hours, and then headed back to the beach. It didn't even mess up our vacation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or