U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-02-2014, 08:44 AM
 
Location: DFW - Coppell / Las Colinas
32,019 posts, read 36,668,383 times
Reputation: 38660

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Since Sandy was a Category 1, sure. We were on the Florida Panhandle once when a Cat 1 came through. We just went inland ten miles, holed up in an elementary school, waited a few hours, and then headed back to the beach. It didn't even mess up our vacation.
I love the "Killer Heat Waves" that causes panic in the north when the temperature reaches 95 degrees in the summer.

Here in the south, 95 degrees is considered a cold spell in the summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-02-2014, 08:56 AM
 
Location: Jamestown, NY
7,841 posts, read 7,336,499 times
Reputation: 13779
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
We had the same problem in Hurricane Andrew,,, nothing was said about going home- employers were like its not hitting us directly and so forth, people could not reach kids-- kids were stranded and before you know it 100,000 cars all going in the same direction- north! took my dad 15 hrs to get to Tampa from Hollywood, I sent him to my sisters. Since that hurricane, just the smell of one coming close to S-FL the mayors call it -gets on TV -Special Task force is activated (RRT)- and all are asked to go HOME and employers let you go- why? Major suits happened with Andrew, people were not allowed to leave work. I do not call anyone stupid, the storm turned out to be something they didn't expect, and I txt a friend in Canada and I warn her, WHITE OUT snowconditions,,, from what I see and hear, she NOT hearing the same on her TV in Canada
!!!. I do wonder if they tell the media don't scare the folks! Just like in the movies, HOLD back don't want panic effect. ? I really do wonder now.
As for work,,, none of us have radios blaring, TV's, or open PCs (google)-- we do not know all while working.
I have alerts on my cell now,,, that is new on smart phones, but most,,, oblivious. Some places cells are not allowed at the work place...lunch or breaks time only. so stop judging...
Excellent post! I think a lot of the posters who are being so judgmental about what happened in Atlanta have never been in the middle of a real weather disaster themselves. It's easy, after the fact, when you're not a victim of it, to point out what people should have done. As they say, hindsight is 20/20.

Buffalo, NY is a city/metro that knows how to handle snow, with some areas of the metro regularly getting 100 inches a winter (the city itself gets somewhat less). In late January, 1977, it got hit with an Upper Midwest-style ground blizzard that started in the middle of the day. It had been a very cold, very snowy winter that saw Lake Erie freeze early and a large snow pack develop. The blizzard's 50+ mph winds picked up the snow off the frozen lake and dumped it on Buffalo and the surrounding area. It stranded thousands of people in their workplaces, and worse, in their cars on highways, bridges, and city/suburban streets as they tried vainly to get home. About 50 people died, including many in their stranded cars. The only reason that tens of thousands of school children weren't stuck in their schools was because the schools had decided to just stay closed on Friday with more bad weather forecast.

It was the scariest weather experience I have ever lived through. The incessantly howling winds would shake the house periodically. I looked out the window and couldn't see the houses across the street in a densely built city neighborhood. Because I was a teacher, I was at home, but the rest of my family were all stranded at work for 3 to 5 days. Some communities, like the suburb of Grand Island, were totally isolated because the bridges on and off the island were clogged with abandoned cars. Only 4WD vehicles were allowed on the streets for days. Snowmobilers delivered medicine and ferried emergency workers to and from work. When the storm ended, I went out to clear some of the snow, and the best sight I saw was the National Guard helicopters flying into Niagara Falls Airbase. I knew exactly how beleaguered settlers fighting off an attack felt when they saw the cavalry come charging in!

Nobody expected a storm of that ferocity, any more than the people affected by Andrew, Katrina or Sandy expected those storms to be as bad as they were. There have been horrendous ice storms to hit parts of the northern US and Canada over the last 20 years or so, and nobody expected them to be as bad as they were, either. Until the storm actually hits, you think you can "handle it" because hey, you've handled previous storms just fine. The difference is that this particular storm isn't anything like the previous ones.

Atlanta got slapped with a very nasty storm that most of the people who lived through it won't see again. It will scar Atlantans for life. The next time the NWS predicts snow for Atlanta, I guarantee you that every school and nearly every business will close down before the first snowflake flies just like most people in South Florida and New Orleans no longer plan hurricane parties but evacuation routes when the hurricane watches go up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2014, 11:48 AM
 
175 posts, read 350,691 times
Reputation: 235
I guess my thoughts are:
1. Don't you prepare your vehicle for winter possibilities such as this!?
An extra coat,sweatshirt and sweatpants in case what you are wearing gets wet when you change a tire... mittens(warmer than gloves), blankets or sleeping bag, a jug of water, dry soup mix,beef jerky, candy bars, high protein snacks, extra medications should always be in your purse/with you. I keep this with the First Aid kit.
ABunsen burner, candles/matches with an empty soup can and an empty tuna can will make a good little stove... Foldable shovel/pick, rope, 5x7' tarp. Extra socks (in case yours get wet or you are wearing pantyhose. A FULL TANK OF GAS!
This should not have been a 'rescue me government/someone scene! Be responsible, people! If you cannot deal with, prepare for these types of situations, how the Hxxx will the future generations survive? Or maybe they won't... Common sense and TEACHING YOUR KIDS ABOUT LIFE DOESN,T SEEM TO HAPPEN ANYMORE!
For some, this can be a good learning lesson.
For some, they will ***** when they are in the same situation again-not doing anything about having emergency supplies, blame the gov again "for not learning to do better after last time this happened"...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2014, 12:13 PM
 
29,946 posts, read 27,415,389 times
Reputation: 18529
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
You think the south could have handle that better?
Absolutely. The Gulf Coast and the Southeast Atlantic coast deals with Cat 1 storms pretty frequently. But nobody down here was talking about how Northerners were stupid and blah blah blah because we know you're most prepared for what happens frequently, and this wasn't one of those events.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2014, 01:26 PM
 
28,905 posts, read 46,757,067 times
Reputation: 46033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasha's View Post
I guess my thoughts are:
1. Don't you prepare your vehicle for winter possibilities such as this!?
An extra coat,sweatshirt and sweatpants in case what you are wearing gets wet when you change a tire... mittens(warmer than gloves), blankets or sleeping bag, a jug of water, dry soup mix,beef jerky, candy bars, high protein snacks, extra medications should always be in your purse/with you. I keep this with the First Aid kit.
ABunsen burner, candles/matches with an empty soup can and an empty tuna can will make a good little stove... Foldable shovel/pick, rope, 5x7' tarp. Extra socks (in case yours get wet or you are wearing pantyhose. A FULL TANK OF GAS!
This should not have been a 'rescue me government/someone scene! Be responsible, people! If you cannot deal with, prepare for these types of situations, how the Hxxx will the future generations survive? Or maybe they won't... Common sense and TEACHING YOUR KIDS ABOUT LIFE DOESN,T SEEM TO HAPPEN ANYMORE!
For some, this can be a good learning lesson.
For some, they will ***** when they are in the same situation again-not doing anything about having emergency supplies, blame the gov again "for not learning to do better after last time this happened"...
Jeez. While we're at it, why don't we Southerners get prepared for a large earthquake, swarms of killer bees, a meteor strike, and a sudden onset of the Black Death? Because an ice storm of this nature happens maybe once every 15 years, and almost always has days of warning. Schools close. People stay at home. We stock up on milk, bread, and vodka.

Let me repeat this. WE DON'T GET STORMS LIKE THIS EVERY YEAR, OR EVEN EVERY DECADE. In fact, the last time anything like this hit without warning was 32 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2014, 02:13 PM
 
Location: Long Neck,De
4,792 posts, read 6,796,429 times
Reputation: 4768
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
J
Let me repeat this. WE DON'T GET STORMS LIKE THIS EVERY YEAR, OR EVEN EVERY DECADE. In fact, the last time anything like this hit without warning was 32 years ago.
I think part of the blame should go to the weather forecasters. Had they given an accurate prediction in the am much of this would not have happened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2014, 02:15 PM
 
Location: Long Neck,De
4,792 posts, read 6,796,429 times
Reputation: 4768
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasha's View Post
I guess my thoughts are:
1. Don't you prepare your vehicle for winter possibilities such as this!?
An extra coat,sweatshirt and sweatpants in case what you are wearing gets wet when you change a tire... mittens(warmer than gloves), blankets or sleeping bag, a jug of water, dry soup mix,beef jerky, candy bars, high protein snacks, extra medications should always be in your purse/with you. I keep this with the First Aid kit.
ABunsen burner, candles/matches with an empty soup can and an empty tuna can will make a good little stove... Foldable shovel/pick, rope, 5x7' tarp. Extra socks (in case yours get wet or you are wearing pantyhose. A FULL TANK OF GAS!
This should not have been a 'rescue me government/someone scene! Be responsible, people! If you cannot deal with, prepare for these types of situations, how the Hxxx will the future generations survive? Or maybe they won't... Common sense and TEACHING YOUR KIDS ABOUT LIFE DOESN,T SEEM TO HAPPEN ANYMORE!
For some, this can be a good learning lesson.
For some, they will ***** when they are in the same situation again-not doing anything about having emergency supplies, blame the gov again "for not learning to do better after last time this happened"...
If I had any idea I would need the preparation you are ready for I would not leave the house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2014, 02:23 PM
 
Location: Fort Lauderdale, Florida
9,245 posts, read 8,318,049 times
Reputation: 20064
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
You think the south could have handle that better?
Absolutely. Look at all the hurricanes that have come through the south in the last 25 years. And before you mention Katrina, the hurricane didn't do the damage. Shoddy levee construction by the Army Corps of Engineers and local corruption made that a nightmare.

What we can't handle is snow, sleet, ice, and cold temps.

In the south, we buy our HVAC for its ability to cool not its ability to heat.

When you get really far south, homes are listed by square feet under air not heated square feet.

How many snow plows do you think the state of Alabama has? I think Atlanta only has seven for a city of over 4 million people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2014, 02:28 PM
 
Location: DFW - Coppell / Las Colinas
32,019 posts, read 36,668,383 times
Reputation: 38660
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
How many snow plows do you think the state of Alabama has? I think Atlanta only has seven for a city of over 4 million people.
Probably like DFW that we don't have snow plows. He have trucks that lay down salt and gravel on bridges and that's all we need.

Except every 5 to 10 years when we get a major ice storm. Snow is not the problem, it's the ICE.

BTW, it was 72 here yesterday. Today it's 29 with freezing rain and I'm off to a Super Bowl party.
We'll just take the day off Monday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2014, 04:52 PM
 
2,681 posts, read 2,204,323 times
Reputation: 3567
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
We had the same problem in Hurricane Andrew,,, nothing was said about going home- employers were like its not hitting us directly and so forth, people could not reach kids-- kids were stranded and before you know it 100,000 cars all going in the same direction- north! took my dad 15 hrs to get to Tampa from Hollywood, I sent him to my sisters. Since that hurricane, just the smell of one coming close to S-FL the mayors call it -gets on TV -Special Task force is activated (RRT)- and all are asked to go HOME and employers let you go- why? Major suits happened with Andrew, people were not allowed to leave work. I do not call anyone stupid, the storm turned out to be something they didn't expect, and I txt a friend in Canada and I warn her, WHITE OUT snowconditions,,, from what I see and hear, she NOT hearing the same on her TV in Canada
!!!. I do wonder if they tell the media don't scare the folks! Just like in the movies, HOLD back don't want panic effect. ? I really do wonder now.
As for work,,, none of us have radios blaring, TV's, or open PCs (google)-- we do not know all while working.
I have alerts on my cell now,,, that is new on smart phones, but most,,, oblivious. Some places cells are not allowed at the work place...lunch or breaks time only. so stop judging...
well said tiny.

Here's a memory for you. We were at the Lollapalooza Festival at Bayfront Miami on the 22 till the wee hours of the 23.

We heard absolutely nothing about a hurricane. But on the way home. we couldn't understand why all the gas stations were getting crowded. we thought it was just the 1000s of people stopping after the show, and whatever else was going on down there.

Got home to Delray about 4:30 AM-put on the tv, and there was Andrew. Stayed up and got to the grocery store and gas station before other folks found out what was happening. Then I got on 95 to go to Jupiter-it was basically empty. Not for long, though.

You are right. People didn't know. it's scarey to think how little we were warned, but like this Atlanta thing, it was a new experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top