Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 06:44 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,945,411 times

Advertisements

Ok, the government teet didn't take care of the snow. They botched up the response, didn't close the schools and so on.

And yet, all those people stuck on the roads didn't have the common sense to check the weather and stay the heck home? No, they got into their cars, sent their kids off to school and then when they got stuck, cried like babies that the government didn't take care of them.

For goodness sake, are the people there that helpless without the government watching out for them, telling them what to do and when to do it? Did they give up their brains to be filled with nothing but do what you're told and not think for yourself?

If ever anyone needed to know what happens when people give up common sense, individuality, self reliance and the ability to deal with situations but rather wait for government to make every decision for them, the people of Atlanta Georgia have shown us all.

For those that had the common sense to stay home, bravo, count yourselves as living thinking people. The rest? Pitiful. Please, no replies from anyone in Atlanta unless the government said it was okay for you to reply, after all, you left the issue of your personal safety and the well being of your kids to the government, you need a hall pass to post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2014, 06:49 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,074,028 times
Maybe we could post this in the Atlanta forum...

... oh wait, they can't read.

Old 01-30-2014, 07:05 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,099,640 times
When the gov't finally decided to close the schools, everyone in their brother got on the roads at the same time. Also, Atlanta's busiest commuter miles are elevated highways freezing over before everything else. Compounding the super quick snow and ice, they got screwed.

Old 01-30-2014, 07:48 PM

1,660 posts, read 2,533,179 times
To answer the original question, yes. That's why they live in Atlanta.

Old 01-31-2014, 06:50 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,981,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Ok, the government teet didn't take care of the snow. They botched up the response, didn't close the schools and so on.

And yet, all those people stuck on the roads didn't have the common sense to check the weather and stay the heck home? No, they got into their cars, sent their kids off to school and then when they got stuck, cried like babies that the government didn't take care of them.

For goodness sake, are the people there that helpless without the government watching out for them, telling them what to do and when to do it? Did they give up their brains to be filled with nothing but do what you're told and not think for yourself?

If ever anyone needed to know what happens when people give up common sense, individuality, self reliance and the ability to deal with situations but rather wait for government to make every decision for them, the people of Atlanta Georgia have shown us all.

For those that had the common sense to stay home, bravo, count yourselves as living thinking people. The rest? Pitiful. Please, no replies from anyone in Atlanta unless the government said it was okay for you to reply, after all, you left the issue of your personal safety and the well being of your kids to the government, you need a hall pass to post.
I will give them the benefit of the doubt, the DC area had snowmaggedon a few years ago. Although it wasn't the same, it had a very similar result that stemmed from people getting out on the road at the same time in the middle of a storm. It certainly wasn't safe to be out there, but everyone doesn't have the ability to take off. I just believe people in the south just can't deal with snow. If that same storm happened in Virginia on up, then it would have been a few delays and that's it.

Old 01-31-2014, 07:10 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,885,931 times
You can blame it on sprawl or government or forecasters; I believe it's each individual driver/worker who lwent out that day in Atlanta. There was warnings and folks know they are not geared up for extreme winter driving. I knew about this storm coming the day before it happened and told my wife I was glad we didn't live there anymore. I knew it would be a mess.

The majority should have called in sick or just said they would be out. Hospital staff I could see going in but business, executives, financiers? To be honest, the world would not end if they miss a day or two. But common sense seems to be lacking. Don't get me wrong; it happens here too. It's snowing to beat he77 but people need to drive to Walmart 30 miles up the road. Heck, I've done it some myself ;out when I shoulda been in. Folks usually claim that they have 4WD and will be ok. That only helps get you going; not maneuver or stop. Sorry for the rant but lack of common sense, as I see it, is the cause and aggravates me.

Old 01-31-2014, 07:28 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,603,285 times
Yes.

However, they are just as stupid as those who stayed in Galveston knowing Ike was coming and those in New Orleans when Katrina was on the way.

The issue is ratio of stupid people. Some areas have more "I'm used to being told what to do" idiots than others.

The real problem is those people relying on the nanny state continues to grow in number.

Old 01-31-2014, 07:29 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,099,640 times
So the south cannot handle snow. Anyone want to talk about how bad the northeast handled Sandy?

Old 01-31-2014, 07:35 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,294,705 times
To be fair, is it possible that most underestimated what would happen? Here in the north, most who go out into storms and icy conditions have the attitude that they can handle it. Of course, most of us do just that. But then we've had experience with how to navigate such roads. These folks didn't.

Old 01-31-2014, 07:45 AM

2,294 posts, read 3,428,060 times
As it has been pointed out to me, those in the south really are a special kind of helpless when it comes to weather. They let it happen then hold up their hands like they didn't see it coming.

I too agree that when national TV has been reporting a weather system coming in for at least 3 days then these folks should have used their heads and stayed home. Going out unprepared isn't helpless its stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events