U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 11:20 AM

3,442 posts, read 4,469,478 times

Advertisements

I just read an article in a central MN paper that a big turkey operation in Minnesota goes thru 30,000 gallons of propane in a week.

Since the propane price jumped over $3 a gallon recently, that is a $90,000 a week increase in expense.

Since the profit margin on poultry operations is narrow, look for poultry prices at the supermarket to rise or huge poultry barns sit empty.

that would cause poultry prices to rise, also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2014, 12:06 PM

8,402 posts, read 19,527,792 times
I would like someone to explain to me why prices rise when quantities are scarce, beyond simple greed. If turkey prices go up because the cost to produce turkey goes up due to increased propane costs, I understand that. But I do not, and have not ever, understood why the price of something increases simply because there is less of it, except for people using that opportunity to make money per unit.

Old 01-31-2014, 02:01 PM

836 posts, read 1,308,186 times
Interesting question, Teddy.

Things are linked far more than we realize.

'Something is not right': Lawmakers press for probe of soaring propane prices | Fox News

Old 01-31-2014, 02:16 PM

5,220 posts, read 2,375,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
I would like someone to explain to me why prices rise when quantities are scarce, beyond simple greed. If turkey prices go up because the cost to produce turkey goes up due to increased propane costs, I understand that. But I do not, and have not ever, understood why the price of something increases simply because there is less of it, except for people using that opportunity to make money per unit.
Really? That is pretty simple economics. A Google search and five minutes of your time and you'd have the answer. And the answer has nothing to do with greed.

Old 01-31-2014, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Really? That is pretty simple economics. A Google search and five minutes of your time and you'd have the answer. And the answer has nothing to do with greed.
I have searched, and spoken with numerous people. Not a single person has given me a reason that isn't based on artificial concepts. Some people simply accept that it is "simple economics" but I do not.

Old 01-31-2014, 09:25 PM

3,442 posts, read 4,469,478 times
Quote:
I have searched, and spoken with numerous people. Not a single person has given me a reason that isn't based on artificial concepts. Some people simply accept that it is "simple economics" but I do not.

supply and demand is what determines livestock/meat prices.

Been that way as long as I can remember.

Old 02-01-2014, 07:17 AM

5,220 posts, read 2,375,434 times
Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean by "artificial concepts" but the concepts of supply and demand are as real as gravity. There is nothing "artificial" about them.

Take a look at this graph:

The shortage causes a change in supply, and the supply curve shifts to the left, from Supply 1 to Supply 2. When that happens, the equilibrium point shifts as well, and the market establishes equilibrium at the new, higher, price.

And as I said before, greed has nothing to do with it.

Old 02-01-2014, 07:37 AM

9,002 posts, read 16,118,243 times
The rise on propane prices will have no effect in the short / Medium term.

Companies buying that much propane are not buying it on the retail level, They are getting on the wholesale, and buying propane futures to protect themselves on the upside of the price.

PNY00 | Commodity Futures Price Chart for Propane Cash

Most of them would be buying the propane back last summer when it was .80/Gal

Old 02-01-2014, 07:56 AM

7,841 posts, read 6,916,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
The rise on propane prices will have no effect in the short / Medium term.

Companies buying that much propane are not buying it on the retail level, They are getting on the wholesale, and buying propane futures to protect themselves on the upside of the price.

PNY00 | Commodity Futures Price Chart for Propane Cash

Most of them would be buying the propane back last summer when it was .80/Gal
Exactly. Moreover, many individuals who heat with propane have contracts that provide for automatic delivery at an agreed upon price (many people who heat with oil have similar contracts) or install large tanks that they only fill once a year.

The people who are hurt by the price spike are those who don't have contracts and/or don't have large tanks (or didn't fill them). People who have large homes, older and poorly insulated ones, or who keep their thermostats high will likely suffer the most.

Old 02-01-2014, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by "artificial concepts" but the concepts of supply and demand are as real as gravity. There is nothing "artificial" about them.

Take a look at this graph:

The shortage causes a change in supply, and the supply curve shifts to the left, from Supply 1 to Supply 2. When that happens, the equilibrium point shifts as well, and the market establishes equilibrium at the new, higher, price.

And as I said before, greed has nothing to do with it.
"The market establishes equilibrium" means nothing more than people charge more for their products whether those products cost more to produce or not, until they reach the highest amount those products continue to sell for. All that graph shows is what has happened. It does nothing to explain how it actually happens.

Show all the graphs you want but this is nothing more than people raising the price because they can. If sellers didn't change the price of their products, regardless of how many they have, they would not go up on their own. Artificial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events