Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 04:09 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,665,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJA View Post
Why arent' they thugs?? They exhibited the same violent behavior as Rice?
Sorry. I was being sarcastic. It is a biased world and I truly believe Thug is the new N word. They tried "animal" for a while but it was too brash and met too much opposition. Thug just slid in right under the radar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2014, 01:31 AM

8,012 posts, read 8,175,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Maybe, just maybe you might be overreacting a bit there chief. Last time I checked, a majority of NFL players haven't been nor have they ever gotten in trouble with the law. Your the type of naive person the sensationalized media looks for.

Old 02-25-2014, 05:57 AM
PJA

2,460 posts, read 3,158,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
No; the thug NFL thing has been around long before. Even academics can act like thugs and Sherman certainly made his own issue. At the least he was a bad example of a representative of the sport which many see has a thug sport by actions time and again. Many players just commented that it was typical Sherman.
If you think Sherman is a thug, then you obviously have no idea what a thug is...and I hope you never encounter one.

Old 02-25-2014, 07:07 AM

15,696 posts, read 9,431,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
I think there's a thin line of assumption about what the term "thug" encompasses within the NFL. One could certainly say that Richie Incognito (formerly) of the Miami Dolphins was a thug.
No, that dude is a thug, present tense.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:56 AM

600 posts, read 657,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Saw a bit about that on the news.

Honestly, it's people like him, Vick, OJ, etc, that are why I don't allow football on my TV. I want nothing to do with them. The good ones are few and far between.

hmmm, what the most significant common denominator of the people you posted

are you speaking of Black males?

Old 02-25-2014, 09:00 AM

15,696 posts, read 9,431,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by niedo View Post
hmmm, what the most significant common denominator of the people you posted

are you speaking of Black males?
Seriously? OJ got away with murder and is now in jail for being an armed robber. Vick killed dogs in a dog fighting ring and there are some serious and disturbing allegations against Ray Rice. Being a criminal is the "most signifiant common denominator" of those three men.

And, by the way, I'm now a Michael Vick fan. If he keeps this up, he's the perfect person to point to and say, "that dude turned his life around. You can, too."

Old 02-25-2014, 09:07 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,618,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
Women that get abused, raped, and killed are legitimate victims.
Not when they go back to the person who treated her like that to begin with. Did you miss the bit about her going home with him after he beat her down? One strike, you're out.

Those women aren't victims. They're idiots.

Here...let me repeat the post to which I was responding:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
Another one?

And the WORST part IMO, is at the end where it said the couple went home TOGETHER!

What a dumb bi*ch!

One time, only ONE TIME.

You hit me, and you are GONE. Like the wind, like last week's paycheck, like the dodo. GONE period!

I just don't get these women that go back to these douche bags.

Old 02-25-2014, 01:28 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,160,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Not when they go back to the person who treated her like that to begin with. Did you miss the bit about her going home with him after he beat her down? One strike, you're out.

Those women aren't victims. They're idiots.

Here...let me repeat the post to which I was responding:
I don't understand the "going back to them" part either, but we typically don't get every fact in these media accounts. Still, I did not know there was a requirement that a person had to be a perfect model citizen in order to be regarded as a victim.

You mentioned OJ earlier, so you must believe Nicole Brown was not a victim either (just for consistency sake).

If these women leave their husbands immediately and divorce them, then many people castigate them as heartless, gold diggers that just want the money and would not give the poor guy a second chance to redeem himself. No win situation.

For the record, it would be better if more women left these violent guys IMO. Are they still victims even if they do not leave right away? Yes. They may not be a smart victim, but they are a victim. They are not perfect and neither are any of us posting here.

Old 02-25-2014, 01:47 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,160,616 times
Please keep in mind that some of the more ruthless, violent criminals will threaten women: "Don't you dare leave or else you will regret it". Fear sometimes over-rides common sense. I don't think the police say "There is nothing we can do" any longer when women try to leave. I think restraining orders are a little easier than say 25 years ago. Anyone with more specific knowledge please share.

Anyways, we probably should get back to the OP's topic. Yes, Ray Rice acted like a violent thug. Since some here won't let the "race" issue go, I also believe any violent white athlete is a thug, too. Can't be more clear than that.

Old 02-28-2014, 03:41 PM

36,499 posts, read 53,837,471 times
Here we go again

Darren Sharper, ex-NFL star, turns himself in to Calif. police on new rape charges in La. - CBS News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events