Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 07:43 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,455,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I started the thread and used the "thug" reference. I have no idea what race the guy in the article is, nor do I care. Anybody who belts a woman and drags her off an elevator unconscious is a "thug" in my definition.
While I understand what you meant and don't disagree..the point is, when Scott Peterson murdered his wife, did anyone start a thread saying "another thug salesman", or Drew Petersen with numerous dead wives or priests who abuse children..do we start threads about "another thug" cop/priest etc as if it went with the territory? And when an NFL player does good, we don't have threads about "another NFL good guy" as if THAT was the norm or expected. We don't say "gosh, I read about the soccer player in Europe (forget the guy) who used horrible racial epithets..."another thug MLS player" that's why we don't watch soccer in our home. What does the NFL have to do with it? The guy is a bad dude. There are bad dudes in every profession from cops to engineers to yes, professional sports figures. So why not simply call out the individual for his behavior? And really, whether or not it was meant (and I truly believe it's not what you meant), "thug" has racial overtones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2014, 07:45 PM

3,766 posts, read 4,103,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chum Kiu View Post

I am not defending Ray Rice because I don't know his background but a thug is not someone who beats up his girlfriend. The person who does that is an idiot anal orifice and should be put in jail. But that is not a "thug".

A man who beats up his girlfriend/fiancé/wife is a thug, and it doesn't matter what color the thug or his girlfriend is.

Old 02-21-2014, 08:27 PM
PJA

2,462 posts, read 3,176,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Did you miss the title of this thread?

Perhaps you could start a new thread about corporate and Hollywood thugs.

Breathe deeply and focus............Here...let me help:

Another Thug NFL Player in The News
Oh so I can only talk about nfl thugs not other thugs...okay gotcha.

Old 02-21-2014, 09:12 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,984,588 times
Quote:
I started the thread and used the "thug" reference. I have no idea what race the guy in the article is, nor do I care. Anybody who belts a woman and drags her off an elevator unconscious is a "thug" in my definition.
That's pretty hard to believe considering there is a huge picture of a black man at the beginning of the article before the video starts.

Old 02-21-2014, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
I think there's a thin line of assumption about what the term "thug" encompasses within the NFL. One could certainly say that Richie Incognito (formerly) of the Miami Dolphins was a thug. The New Orleans Saints debacle of a few years ago included players and coaches alike. If we were to expand to, say, college hoops, one could include former Rutgers coach Mike Rice and arguably the "legendary" Bobby Knight.

From the looks of it, it appears that Ray Rice committed some thuggish behavior. The question is: what are the commonalities between him and other professional athletes that are considered "thugs"?
That's a great point, which is why I asked the question about who else is considered a thug (noticed how my question was conveniently ignored).

I certainly do not condone any man hitting a woman unless she is literally trying to kill him and even then physical force may not be necessary. With that said, I think I would reserve judgment over this situation. It's easy to say that this man exhibit "thuggish" behavior, but honestly I seriously doubt they just suddenly became abusive to one another. Let's not forget that she also was charged with simple assault. Do they have an abusive relationship?

It appears so, but then the question becomes, have they been hitting each other? Is he the one hitting her or is she hitting him? Also for those who are being critical, especially if you are a man, if your significant other, hits you, what would your reaction be? Hitting her would not be right, but if you react to her hitting you, does that make you a thug? Again I don't agree with her actions, but without knowing all the details, I think calling him a thug may be pre-mature.

That word is just used way, way too loosely these days that it's beginning to lose it's meaning. I consider the behavior in a domestic case to be different than someone committing a criminal act unprovoked. Again, it just depends on the context of what happened. Again, that doesn't mean it's right to hit a woman, but that it also doesn't necessarily make him a thug.

Old 02-21-2014, 09:40 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,385,663 times
Quote:
Any time a man hurts a woman, as it appears he did here, he is far, far worse than a "thug", and these types are not just confined to the NFL. They also exist in every race.

Old 02-21-2014, 10:08 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,628,032 times
Quote:
Another one?

And the WORST part IMO, is at the end where it said the couple went home TOGETHER!

What a dumb bi*ch!

One time, only ONE TIME.

You hit me, and you are GONE. Like the wind, like last week's paycheck, like the dodo. GONE period!

I just don't get these women that go back to these douche bags.

Old 02-21-2014, 11:37 PM

111 posts, read 125,147 times
Amusing watching the liberals trying to spin thug into the n word. It won't work imho because a thug is about exhibited behavior rather than race. Keep trying though, you are funny On the original topic any any man that hits a woman (unless he is defending himself from an attack) is a thug, white black, purple, IT DOESN'T MATTER.

Old 02-22-2014, 05:35 AM
PJA

2,462 posts, read 3,176,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcard342 View Post
Amusing watching the liberals trying to spin thug into the n word. It won't work imho because a thug is about exhibited behavior rather than race. Keep trying though, you are funny On the original topic any any man that hits a woman (unless he is defending himself from an attack) is a thug, white black, purple, IT DOESN'T MATTER.

Not according to some of your fellow posters.

BTW I'm conservative.

Old 02-22-2014, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcard342 View Post

I am conservative as well and I believe you just contradicted yourself. Do you know if she attacked him first? Again we have no information on what happened and you admitted that defending himself doesn't necessarily make him a thug. Why are people trying to assume anything about this situation? Given that she got the same charge at least lends the possibility that he could have been hit first, but we will see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events