Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 05:53 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times

Advertisements

This crazy world we live in, where even young kids take guns and knives to school to kill other kids, has forced schools to adopt "zero tolerance" policies that sometimes get out of hand. We had a kid down here suspended because there was a dinner plate in his back seat with a fork and steak knife also there. He tried to tell them he ate dinner on the way to his night job the night before and forgot to remove it but they still suspended him.

We also had a kid down here who jumped in to break up a fight where a bully was beating a gay kid up and the hero was suspended because he got involved in the fight ! All the other students and parents protested and they finally let him back in school.

I know all this seems bizarre, but schools are no longer the safe little places most of us grew up going to. Very sad commentary on civilization ( or lack of it) today.

Don
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2014, 07:15 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,390,617 times
Crazily enough a similar scenario happened to me in high school in the early 90's. My boyfriend at the time took my car fishing and left a knife in the car. Somehow it was visible, and I was yanked out of class by our campus cops. They read me my rights, and I just fell to the floor hysterical. I started to hyperventilate and couldn't breathe. I was very very lucky that I was not charged or suspended. If it happened today, I probably would have been charged. I have never felt sheer terror like that before.

They took out their handcuffs and I literally had a panic attack.

Old 02-26-2014, 07:16 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I know all this seems bizarre, but schools are no longer the safe little places most of us grew up going to. Very sad commentary on civilization ( or lack of it) today.

Don
When did you grow up?

In the decade from 2000 - 2009, there were 47 school shooting events in the US.

Exactly 100 years before, from 1900 - 1909 there were 26 school shooting events in the US.

List of school shootings in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In 1900 there were 76 million people in the US. In 2000, there were 282 million. Our population nearly quadrupled in size. It increased by 3.71 times.

US Population by Year

If we multiplied the number of school shootings between 1900 and 1909 (26) by the population increase of 2000 (3.71 times), we would find that if the number of shooting events increased by the same threshold, we would have had 96 shooting events instead of 47 last decade.

Old 02-26-2014, 07:18 AM
PJA

2,462 posts, read 3,176,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easternerDC View Post
In this case, it sounds like the charges are overblown.

I do take issue with people mentioning things like had a 3.0 GPA and was in ROTC, blah, blah, blah. ROTC and a so-so GPA does not make one immune from criminal behavior. (Not that I think this kid was involved in criminal behavior).

While it does not make him immune from criminal behavior, mentioning his achievements does show that he had a bright and promising future that could be ruined due to this dumb law. With the rampant school shootings and bullying getting out hand, tptb are going to the extremes to try to curtail school violence.

Old 02-26-2014, 07:21 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
Crazy in my opinion.

But, I also think it's pretty crazy that a kid can lose all financial aid for college over having a small amount of marijuana.

This country is getting too crazy.

So it is just fine to reward a child with financial aid for college because he is doing "Illegal" drugs?

Old 02-26-2014, 07:28 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJA View Post
With the rampant school shootings and bullying getting out hand, tptb are going to the extremes to try to curtail school violence.
There has always been bullying and school violence. Punishing kids who have only violated some ridiculous rule won't change that at all. These zero tolerance PC administration thugs need to go. If you're not smart enough to know that this event was an innocent mistake which posed no threat to other students, you're not smart enough to be running a school or teaching children.

Old 02-26-2014, 07:55 AM

2,183 posts, read 2,638,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
So it is just fine to reward a child with financial aid for college because he is doing "Illegal" drugs?
your missing the point. If he was 21 and had financial aid/scholarship and had some alcohol on him, no problem. He can get black out drunk, no problem. Smoke a little grass which is way less harmful, and he loses everything. It's not equal, it doesn't make any sense. Just because it is illegal doesn't mean its automatically worse, it just means the law is fu**** up.

Old 02-26-2014, 09:41 AM
PJA

2,462 posts, read 3,176,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
There has always been bullying and school violence. Punishing kids who have only violated some ridiculous rule won't change that at all. These zero tolerance PC administration thugs need to go. If you're not smart enough to know that this event was an innocent mistake which posed no threat to other students, you're not smart enough to be running a school or teaching children.

Yeah there's always been bullying, but these mass shootings like Columbine have increased. BUT I do agree that the zero tolerance policy needs to go. I remember when I was in middle school in the 90's the principal had a saying, "If It looks like a gun, It is a gun." Someone was suspended for making a paper gun. And that was before these mass shootings started to occur.

Old 02-26-2014, 09:51 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Even as short a time ago as 1999, my son and his hunting friends routinely had guns in their pickup trucks in the high school parking lot. Nobody thought anything of it in the rural area where we lived. It hardly seems like anyone has any personal liberty anymore.
If my child got kicked out of school because of a fishing knife locked in his car, and it turned out to have consequences to his future, I would be suing the school system. They had no business searching the kid's car in the first place. Its awful.

Old 02-26-2014, 09:56 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,839,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
My 5-year-old was sent to the principals office for making a gun with his fingers and saying bang, bang. They wanted us to come get him to protect himself and the other children. Then they wanted us to sign a piece of paper saying we have him see a professional psychologist. Needless to say we didn't sign. Since they refused to send him to his after-care, the principal had to wait an extra 30 minutes after school for us to get him. We should have made her stick around for an hour. lol

This zero tolerance nonsense has gone way too far. We have a bunch of bureaucratic idiot robots running most schools now days. They apparently don't have enough intelligence to apply any common sense.
Wow,if you were in Nj the principle could have called Child Protective Services on you for being late picking up your kid late from school.

I think you get 20 min in Nj before CPS is called.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events