Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2014, 08:26 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,886,744 times

Advertisements

Back a while ago an airliner left NY for Europe and blew up over the Atlantic (95 or 96?). A friend of mine said it was the Russians testing a new weapon. He used to work for a defense contractor and I should believe him. I siad most likely it was a fuel pump left on (I was right. Who woulda thunk it?). He was bound and determined that he was right. My point is there are going to be a slew of ideas to explain this tragedy. Most are going to be foolishness like in the Malaysian Chronicle. But it sells papers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2014, 08:35 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,834,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaboy
CONSPIRACY!
Indeed!!!

This whole thing might be BS to try and get peoples attention AWAY FROM WHATS HAPPENING IN UKRAINE!!

Old 03-11-2014, 08:41 AM

395 posts, read 546,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
Those electronic geeks are Chinese citizens?? Chinese geeks employed by US Department of Defense???
Erm....no. I once had a hell of a time getting fifty Chinese engineers into the US to train at their employer's training facility. Their high-tech risk factor? Microchips for kitchen appliances.

This is less probable than the UFO theory...

Old 03-11-2014, 08:56 AM

84 posts, read 105,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
I'm really getting tired of seeing such malarkey repeated over and over. Terrorists typically don't claim responsibility. The point of terrorism os to create a climate of fear and helplessness. Nothing does that better than not knowing who attacked you or why. Once you know who did it, the fear turns to anger and resolve to seek justice, the helplessness melts into action to go after the bad guys.

"How many acts of terrorism go unclaimed? Most of them. Credible perpetrators claimed responsibility for only 14 percent of the more than 45,000 terrorist acts that have occurred since 1998, according to the University of Maryland's Global Terrorism Database."

Do terrorists usually claim responsibility for their attacks? (Slate) - Worldnews.com
Yeah. They'd want to take responsibility for this. From the article you quoted: "There are several reasons a terrorist group might not publicly admit involvement in an act of violence, although none of them apply particularly well to the disappearance of Malaysia Airlines flight 370"

Terror groups don't have to, want to, or need to be motivated to own up to bombing abortion clinics or coffee shops (depending on what part of the world this is occuring). They rely on the unpredictability of the terror to bear the message for them. How we even define "terrorism" depends on what side of an issue we belong.

Blowing a plane out of the sky, mowing down hundreds of people in a shopping mall, flying planes into buildings .... yeah. The particular terror groups that we attribute to these things ... they definitely want us to know. They NEED us to know. Al Queda members aren't hiding in some cave (except probably they are), giggling maniacally at our befuddlement over what happened to Flight 370. Nor any other group with the agenda, and the resources, to blow a plane out of the sky. They'd want us to know.

Old 03-11-2014, 09:21 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,213,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracijo1967 View Post
Blowing a plane out of the sky, mowing down hundreds of people in a shopping mall, flying planes into buildings .... yeah. The particular terror groups that we attribute to these things ... they definitely want us to know. They NEED us to know. Al Queda members aren't hiding in some cave (except probably they are), giggling maniacally at our befuddlement over what happened to Flight 370. Nor any other group with the agenda, and the resources, to blow a plane out of the sky. They'd want us to know.
Glad you brought that up. You should recall that bin Laden and al Qaeda did not claim responsibility for 9/11 until we found video proof in an Afghanistan raid months later. In fact, they categorically denied it. From his own words, in an interview weeks after the attack:

"I have already said that I am not involved in the 11 September attacks in the United States. As a Muslim, I try my best to avoid telling a lie. I had no knowledge of these attacks, nor do I consider the killing of innocent women, children, and other humans as an appreciable act. Islam strictly forbids causing harm to innocent women, children, and other people."

Interview with Osama bin Laden. Denies his Involvement in 9/11 | Global Research

Old 03-11-2014, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Glad you brought that up. You should recall that bin Laden and al Qaeda did not claim responsibility for 9/11 until we found video proof in an Afghanistan raid months later. In fact, they categorically denied it. From his own words, in an interview weeks after the attack:

"I have already said that I am not involved in the 11 September attacks in the United States. As a Muslim, I try my best to avoid telling a lie. I had no knowledge of these attacks, nor do I consider the killing of innocent women, children, and other humans as an appreciable act. Islam strictly forbids causing harm to innocent women, children, and other people."

Interview with Osama bin Laden. Denies his Involvement in 9/11 | Global Research
I disagree. First, with your email above, Al Qaeda denied that he'd written the email, and the Taliban stated that he didn't have access to the internet. Here are some statements he actually made (you know, recorded live, vs. an email):

October 2001: "If inciting people to do that is terrorism, and if killing those who kill our sons is terrorism, then let history be witness that we are terrorists ... We will work to continue this battle, God permitting, until victory or until we meet God before that occurs."

And this, from Al-Qaeda's spokesman, Sulaiman Abu Ghaith (October 2001):
"The Americans should know that the storm of plane attacks will not abate, with God's permission. There are thousands of the Islamic nations' youths who are eager to die just as the Americans are eager to live."

In October 2001, the U.S. was busy pointing fingers at Iraq (which, as it turns out, was invaded and then bombed into the Stone Ages --- after invading and bombing it to near extinction less than a decade prior -- because of "irrefutable proof" that Saddam Hussein did it. To this day, many people STILL BELIEVE that he had something to do with 9/11, despite no actual evidence tying him to anything at all, other than being a tyrannical dictator -- a fact that the U.S. overlooked and readily ignored when it was politically expedient to do so.

Osama Bin Laden had nothing to gain by claiming personal responsibility. Al-Qaeda had everything to gain by alluding to responsibility, while not outright claiming it. They got to claim the added bonus of watching Americans implode onto themselves, pin the blame on another country, invade that country, alienate pretty much the entire rest of the free world. They also made damn sure that their publicly issued fatwa's were clear and specific enough to lend plausibility to any acts of terror, even if they chose (for whatever reasons) to deny responsibility.

Old 03-11-2014, 10:21 AM

43,646 posts, read 44,375,612 times
UPDATE 2-Malaysia missing plane unlikely to be terrorist event-Interpol head | Reuters

Old 03-11-2014, 10:47 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,213,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracijo1967 View Post
I disagree. First, with your email above, Al Qaeda denied that he'd written the email, and the Taliban stated that he didn't have access to the internet. Here are some statements he actually made (you know, recorded live, vs. an email):

October 2001: "If inciting people to do that is terrorism, and if killing those who kill our sons is terrorism, then let history be witness that we are terrorists ... We will work to continue this battle, God permitting, until victory or until we meet God before that occurs."

And this, from Al-Qaeda's spokesman, Sulaiman Abu Ghaith (October 2001):
Where are you getting that this was an email? And October 2001 is at least three weeks after 9/11. Show me anything where alQaeda claimed responsibility right after the attack.

The U.S. never said Iraq or Saddam was behind 9/11. Intel officials were calling bin Laden the top suspect even as the towers burned. We went into Afghanistan 18 months before Iraq.

Old 03-11-2014, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Where are you getting that this was an email? And October 2001 is at least three weeks after 9/11. Show me anything where alQaeda claimed responsibility right after the attack.

The U.S. never said Iraq or Saddam was behind 9/11. Intel officials were calling bin Laden the top suspect even as the towers burned. We went into Afghanistan 18 months before Iraq.
Wow. Just wow.

The links I provided give you all the answers you need. If you care to look.

Old 03-11-2014, 11:13 AM

35,060 posts, read 31,284,584 times
This whole thing is extremely bizarre. There's no evidence that it is destroyed, but also no evidence that it's intact.

The plane appeared to pass the mechanical checks a week or so before the flight.

Terrorism seems unlikely given the information this morning.

Usual scenarios are looking less and less likely by the hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events