Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 09:20 AM

395 posts, read 545,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
If Obama or Buffet made all of their money from a regular salary, they would pay much more than their secretaries, and unless their secretaries made a large amount of money, the rate paid by both Obama and Buffet would also be higher.

You obviously don't have a very good grasp on this subject.

It also alarms me that you probably have influence over family members that vote.
How charming of you not to have departed from the manner of discussion that must have been employed in the barnyard back home. Rude much?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2014, 09:40 AM

215 posts, read 350,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
This is home and I'm thriving. If those who complain about taxes spent less time discriminating against others, less time focusing on that which separates us, less time supporting people, policies, and ideas which penalize the least of us, maybe fewer taxes would be needed.

I'd gladly pay MORE taxes if it meant that we could find cures for diseases like Cancer, Alzheimer's, and HIV. I'd pay more if it meant that veterans, the elderly, and kids would get the utmost consideration. I'd pay more if it meant that everyone could have the best of health care. I'd gladly pay more taxes so that those who have been historically discriminated against, are given an extra boost in this society so they can achieve their goals. I'd gladly pay more taxes to eliminate the residual effects of Slavery for people who indirectly were hurt by the evil practice, forced to start from a lesser place.

Other countries are great to visit, but this is overwhelmingly where I prefer to live.
We give enough in taxes currently to support all we need. We need to eradicate and punish severely those that engage in the corruption and mismanagement of our assets. Mediocrity and greed have taken over and it is too widely accepted.

Old 03-13-2014, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Auntie,

Note what Ruth4Truth actually said in her post:

She, along with many, many others, is confusing taxes paid, with tax rates.

Please note my response, as it bears repeating:

Simply put, Buffet (or Obama) will pay the same amount of tax on $95,000 of earned income that his secretary pays on $95,000 of earned income.
Oh yes, absolutely. I rather assumed she meant tax rate...which is obviously nowhere close to the same...and simply mis-spoke.

Again, there is nothing illegal or even unethical of people taking advantage of consultation with professionals to avoid paying excess taxes. But even a fairly conservative person like me, can see that perhaps our structure, our deductions and exemptions, need to be reviewed and perhaps revised, rather than just willy nilly raising the base rate on everyone who earns more than 200K per year.

A simpler tax structure may have some adverse effects in the short term. After all, if there are no advantages to be found using professional tax preparers, and less IRS employees needed to oversee all those appendices, that is a huge segment of the workforce who will have to find new work. It may be a few years, before those people are re-absorbed into the workforce. It's the one thing that I see as a barrier to simply having a flat personal income tax and being done with it.

Old 03-13-2014, 10:23 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie77 View Post
How charming of you not to have departed from the manner of discussion that must have been employed in the barnyard back home. Rude much?
Rude? No. Honest? Yes.

You clearly do not have a grasp on the tax system. It's quite obvious to anyone that does.

Quote:
Oh yes, absolutely. I rather assumed she meant tax rate...which is obviously nowhere close to the same...and simply mis-spoke.
Unless the secretaries are making a very high salary, Obama and Buffet both would pay a higher tax rate if their income was based upon salary.

You might want to do a bit of reading and understand the difference between types of income and how they are taxed.

You seem to not understand basic concepts such as income from salary and from capital gains.

Old 03-13-2014, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Rude? No. Honest? Yes.

You clearly do not have a grasp on the tax system. It's quite obvious to anyone that does.

Unless the secretaries are making a very high salary, Obama and Buffet both would pay a higher tax rate if their income was based upon salary.

You might want to do a bit of reading and understand the difference between types of income and how they are taxed.

You seem to not understand basic concepts such as income from salary and from capital gains.
Hmmmmm....

I suppose I could agree with you, but then we both would be wrong. So I shall not. You really have not read with any comprehension, what I have written. You oversimplify and as such, I can find nothing to gain from further discussion with you. Good luck impressing ....someone...

Old 03-14-2014, 05:29 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Basically the story I read was people who had long since lived overseas and where basically tired of paying US tax on income earned elsewhere. They all had citizenship in country they live in now.

Old 03-14-2014, 05:31 AM

Yes

Thank you for getting us back on track.

Old 03-14-2014, 07:15 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Quote:
Hmmmmm....

I suppose I could agree with you, but then we both would be wrong. So I shall not. You really have not read with any comprehension, what I have written. You oversimplify and as such, I can find nothing to gain from further discussion with you. Good luck impressing ....someone...
Of course you can't find anything to gain when you refuse to accept facts.

Income from a salary and income from capital gains are taxed at different rates. Do you understand and/or acknowledge this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events