Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 09:39 AM

36,499 posts, read 53,845,993 times

Advertisements

One of the sweetest memories I have is the first time I flew into LAX after 6 weeks of international travel and being greeted at the end of the ramp with "Welcome Home". I've traveled out of the country several times and it always touches me deeply to get that smile and greeting.

If it made an appreciable difference and I knew I would be living overseas for the rest of my life I might consider this but not really sure.

Americans abroad find citizenship too taxing to keep
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2014, 10:51 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,811,879 times
Not at this point. I've been out of the country about 25 times and have always been happy to return. (Except a couple business/pleasure trips to Vancouver and Montreal). God Bless the US!

Old 03-08-2014, 11:03 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,156,809 times
I would want to keep my home base here in the U.S. I love the Caribbean but Jamaica is too crime ridden outside of the tourist areas. Although a Bahama out island just might be nice.

Old 03-08-2014, 11:15 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,278,422 times
I don't see giving up US citizenship just to save on taxes, but sometimes I shake my head at the road we are on and just wonder. Just saying when home no longer feels like home, I might consider it if the dollars work.

Lived overseas 10 years and did OK but it wasn't home.

Just never thought in my lifetime ....

Old 03-08-2014, 12:07 PM

20,983 posts, read 19,442,353 times
Too bad we can't just deport all the idiots that vote for higher taxes.

Old 03-08-2014, 12:18 PM

813 posts, read 1,129,532 times
I have never considered it, but definitely do not want the wife to get one!

Old 03-08-2014, 12:41 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,313,619 times
Default Absolutely not

This is home and I'm thriving. If those who complain about taxes spent less time discriminating against others, less time focusing on that which separates us, less time supporting people, policies, and ideas which penalize the least of us, maybe fewer taxes would be needed.

I'd gladly pay MORE taxes if it meant that we could find cures for diseases like Cancer, Alzheimer's, and HIV. I'd pay more if it meant that veterans, the elderly, and kids would get the utmost consideration. I'd pay more if it meant that everyone could have the best of health care. I'd gladly pay more taxes so that those who have been historically discriminated against, are given an extra boost in this society so they can achieve their goals. I'd gladly pay more taxes to eliminate the residual effects of Slavery for people who indirectly were hurt by the evil practice, forced to start from a lesser place.

Other countries are great to visit, but this is overwhelmingly where I prefer to live.

Old 03-08-2014, 12:45 PM

26,685 posts, read 41,572,871 times
The US may suck but I still think this is the best overall deal out there, which says much about the state of the world these days. Not interested in giving up my citizenship at all.

Old 03-08-2014, 12:54 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,221,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
One of the sweetest memories I have is the first time I flew into LAX after 6 weeks of international travel and being greeted at the end of the ramp with "Welcome Home". I've traveled out of the country several times and it always touches me deeply to get that smile and greeting.

If it made an appreciable difference and I knew I would be living overseas for the rest of my life I might consider this but not really sure.

Americans abroad find citizenship too taxing to keep
For the most part no, most of the people that would benefit from relinquishing their citizenship would have little to no US ties and that just doesn't apply to me. I would trade my US citizenship in a heartbeat if I could, but not for a lower tax country.

Old 03-08-2014, 12:58 PM

20,983 posts, read 19,442,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
This is home and I'm thriving. If those who complain about taxes spent less time discriminating against others, less time focusing on that which separates us, less time supporting people, policies, and ideas which penalize the least of us, maybe fewer taxes would be needed.

I'd gladly pay MORE taxes if it meant that we could find cures for diseases like Cancer, Alzheimer's, and HIV. I'd pay more if it meant that veterans, the elderly, and kids would get the utmost consideration. I'd pay more if it meant that everyone could have the best of health care. I'd gladly pay more taxes so that those who have been historically discriminated against, are given an extra boost in this society so they can achieve their goals. I'd gladly pay more taxes to eliminate the residual effects of Slavery for people who indirectly were hurt by the evil practice, forced to start from a lesser place.

Other countries are great to visit, but this is overwhelmingly where I prefer to live.
This is ironic. You claim that taxes could be reduced if we were more compassionate, yet you list all the ways that taxes would have to be increased for us to be considered more compassionate. Please explain (if possible).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events