Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 07:28 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,269,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
i remember in 1968 when it was introduced to target in houston tx, disposable containers.
it should have never happened ever.
What, plastic water bottles? I wholeheartedly agree. I loathe them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2014, 09:46 AM

5,132 posts, read 6,127,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
Do you really think the quality of bottled water is better or safer than tap water? You're kidding yourself I think.
I for one as I originally posted am for bottled water because of the quality of the water here in our area.

Crazy I just received our monthly water bill and found an extra page in the bill, it reads.......

What happened? Our water system did not meet the requirements of a drinking water rule. Although this is not an emergency, as our customers, you have a right to know what happened, what you should do, and what we are doing to correct this situation. We are required to monitor your drinking water for specific contaminants on a regular basis. Results of regular monitoring are an indicator of whether or not your drinking water meets health standards. During the October through December 2013 monitoring period, we did not monitor or test for Stage 2 Disinfection Byproducts (S2 DBPs), including Total Trihalomethanes (TTHMs) and Haloacetic Acids (HAA5s) at all required sample sites, and therefore cannot be sure of the quality of your drinking water at that time.
What should I do? Some people who drink water containing TTHMs in excess oft/ic MCL over many years may experience problems with their liver, kidneys, or central nervous system, and may have an increased risk of getting cancer. Some people who drink water containing HAA5s in excess of the MCL over many years may have an increased risk of getting cancer. Any customers who are concerned about their exposure to these contaminants can choose alternative sources of water for ingestion.
What does this mean? This is not an immediate risk. If it had been, you would have been notified immediately.

Please share this information with all the other people who drink this water, especially those who may not have received this notice directly (for example, people in apartments, nursing homes, schools, and businesses). You can do this by posting this notice in a public place or distributing copies by hand or mail.
This notice is being sent to you by the water system: The City Fernandina Beach Utilities Department
Potable Water System ID: 2450364 Date of Distribution: March 2014

This is why bottled water is not fashionable but a necessity for some of us.

Old 03-29-2014, 06:04 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,859,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Concord, Mass., the first US city to ban sale of plastic water bottles - U.S. News

We did it first. Personally I think it's kind of dumb. They already get recycled. What kind of containers can people use? Go back to glass? I don't use store bought water anyway.
SF provides a big bottle or fountains to refill your bottle. SF also prides itself in having tasty water and has stopped serving bottled water at city functions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
How about using bottle deposits like many states do with pop bottles/cans?
We have one already.

Old 03-29-2014, 10:40 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,500,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
How about using bottle deposits like many states do with pop bottles/cans?
CA already does - I think 5 cents per plastic bottle - not sure where that $$$ goes though.

Old 03-30-2014, 05:37 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,224,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
Perhaps, a few years ago I was against gov't intervention into our dietary choices. After reading how much of our tax money goes to medicare I started to change my stance. The number one killer in America isn't cancer, it isn't alcohol, it's cardiovascular disease; most of which stems from obesity and ultimately our dietary choices. Pin pointing why people make their own dietary choices is the key. One is obviously price and I think the other one is convenience. So yeah, soda could take over on the convenience level and add more damage than good. I doubt it would go like that, however. I think people could start to use water bottles instead, now going from 24 plastic bottles every 5 days per person it would just be 1 bottle per person for weeks, months or even years. That is much better progress than what it is now.
The reason why people are obese is that they DON'T cook anymore!! get a clue...

And i didn't see one plastic bottle of water in your pics...

Water is essential to life! Get a clue already and find another cause to ***** on for you have KNOW clue
of what going on in society...

I don't wish you ill will, but come on man!!

Old 03-30-2014, 05:47 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,224,729 times
Also i drink my water from the tap when at home..I have for all my life...

Yet when out and about working, i'll buy bottled water..Because i'd rather drink water than soda!!

Old 03-31-2014, 02:02 PM

15,793 posts, read 20,478,579 times
Just another ban.....or another permit needed.....or another law created....

Hundreds of years from now....everything that someone thinks is bad will be banned and you will need a license to die.

Old 04-01-2014, 02:36 PM

2,513 posts, read 2,788,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
I for one as I originally posted am for bottled water because of the quality of the water here in our area.

Crazy I just received our monthly water bill and found an extra page in the bill, it reads.......

What happened? Our water system did not meet the requirements of a drinking water rule. Although this is not an emergency, as our customers, you have a right to know what happened, what you should do, and what we are doing to correct this situation. We are required to monitor your drinking water for specific contaminants on a regular basis. Results of regular monitoring are an indicator of whether or not your drinking water meets health standards. During the October through December 2013 monitoring period, we did not monitor or test for Stage 2 Disinfection Byproducts (S2 DBPs), including Total Trihalomethanes (TTHMs) and Haloacetic Acids (HAA5s) at all required sample sites, and therefore cannot be sure of the quality of your drinking water at that time.
What should I do? Some people who drink water containing TTHMs in excess oft/ic MCL over many years may experience problems with their liver, kidneys, or central nervous system, and may have an increased risk of getting cancer. Some people who drink water containing HAA5s in excess of the MCL over many years may have an increased risk of getting cancer. Any customers who are concerned about their exposure to these contaminants can choose alternative sources of water for ingestion.
What does this mean? This is not an immediate risk. If it had been, you would have been notified immediately.

Please share this information with all the other people who drink this water, especially those who may not have received this notice directly (for example, people in apartments, nursing homes, schools, and businesses). You can do this by posting this notice in a public place or distributing copies by hand or mail.
This notice is being sent to you by the water system: The City Fernandina Beach Utilities Department
Potable Water System ID: 2450364 Date of Distribution: March 2014

This is why bottled water is not fashionable but a necessity for some of us.
The water in Jacksonvillle is nasty. I'm sure up the road it can't be any better. Its very hard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events