Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 03:19 PM

778 posts, read 820,586 times

Advertisements

I know when I came out, the lives of the people around me were affected. It is a major life change, and it's inevitable that other people are going to have some kind of reaction.

But my parents still love me. My boyfriend at the time wanted us to stay together (we ultimately didn't, but he's still one of my closest friends). My friends supported me without judgement.

And so life marched on for me and for the people around me.

Were I a parent and a spouse--as I someday plan to be--the well-being and happiness of my family would also be a top priority. But part of keeping them well and happy is also taking care of yourself, isn't it? If you're sick or in pain or miserable, that's going to affect the people you live with. So you go to a doctor, you get treatment, you get as well as you can be so you can continue to look after yourself and the people you love.

And as much as you may disagree, that's exactly what happened here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2014, 05:07 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,775,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cephalopede View Post
as someone who is trans
I apologize for asking, but out of curiosity--are you MtF or FtM?

Old 04-12-2014, 05:14 PM

Quote:
And I, in turn, will leave you with this.
I wonder why there is a bit less satisfaction when it comes to genital modification surgery.

Old 04-12-2014, 05:21 PM

Quote:
So here's what I'm reading: "I know nothing about gender identity, gender dysphoria, or trans people, and have no desire to learn, but I am perfectly okay with speaking out about them getting proper treatment."

Is that correct?
Frankly, if someone who is cis-gender wants to try finding out what transgender people feel like, then he or she can try living as the opposite gender/sex for a time.

Old 04-12-2014, 05:22 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,732,228 times
I need to wear my glasses as my first reaction was...WHAT??!

I thought it said "High School teacher to return after sex charge"

Old 04-12-2014, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
You can't see the brain, and that's what determines your gender to yourself, not your body. You are lucky you are cis-gendered (your gender and your body match up); transgendered people have brains and bodies that don't. So, is that a brain disorder or a body disorder? We can't transplant brains into another body, and we can't change a male brain into a female brain or vice versa, so we change the body.
Agreed--most, if not all, people consider the brain to be more important than the body in regards to this.

Also, I certainly agree that the only way to improve the lives of transgender people right now is to allow them to transition without much (unnecessary) difficulties.

That said, as a side note, I hope that medical technology will eventually advance to the point where we will be able to change people's brains, sexualities, et cetera on demand. Frankly, I think that stretching the limits in regards to medical technology is a good thing in itself. (And if anyone here interprets this comment of mine incorrectly, I want to point out that such medical technology would be interesting to use for anyone who wants it, regardless of his or her gender, sexuality, and/or et cetera.

Old 04-12-2014, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
I thought it said "High School teacher to return after sex charge"
It does say that.

Old 04-12-2014, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
I wonder why there is a bit less satisfaction when it comes to genital modification surgery.
Probably because genital surgery is hard, and especially for trans men, far from perfect. Without being vulgar, you can choose form over function or function over form, but not both, and phalloplasty in particular is a long, invasive process. The surgeries available for trans women are better, but require a lot of aftercare.

And since you were wondering and I don't mind answering, I'm FtM.

Old 04-12-2014, 05:48 PM

Quote:
1. Probably because genital surgery is hard, and especially for trans men, far from perfect. Without being vulgar, you can choose form over function or function over form, but not both, and phalloplasty in particular is a long, invasive process. The surgeries available for trans women are better, but require a lot of aftercare.

2. And since you were wondering and I don't mind answering, I'm FtM.
1. Thanks for explaining this part. Yeah, I have also previously heard that genital surgery is easier for transwomen than for transmen.

2. Thanks for answering.

Also, since I asked you this question, I might as well respond to this question myself: I am not trans-gender, but I do appear to be gender-fluid (at least to some degree). I am currently a biological male, but frankly, I would probably love to have a female body (with ovaries and a uterus, once medical technology allows for this), as well as to function as a female sometimes (but obviously not all of the time).

As a side note, in regards to SRS, this might be a good page for people who are considering it to read:

A WARNING FOR THOSE CONSIDERING MtF SEX REASSIGNMENT SURGERY (SRS)

This page was written by a transgender person, and thus, I don't think that it has anti-transgender propaganda or anything of that sort.

Old 04-12-2014, 06:19 PM

That seems like a much more balanced article, yes, and I like that it outlines those individual cases. If you're doing something that's going to change your body permanently, it takes a lot of consideration.

Something worth noting, for the general public: transitioning does not always include surgery. A lot of trans people never go under the knife for various reasons.

Also worth noting: there is no one act that constitutes a "sex change".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events