Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 06:13 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,152,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
No, but prior to actual surgical intervention, the transgendered must spend a period of time living as the opposite sex, including using the proper restroom, dress, makeup (if MTF), etc.
That's got to be tremendously difficult and complex, especially after years - decades sometimes - of pretending to be whatever gender you're expected from childhood to be when your hormones and physiology are the "other" sex.

Down to weird things like how to talk to the opposite sex appropriately, how to talk about sports/make up/cars/other people, how to walk, how to wear clothes, etc. For someone who has had family and societal pressure to act like "a boy"(or the opposite) when that is not their true gender, yet they've had to cover and pretend their entire lives including through childhood and adolescence, to act appropriately has got to be incredibly difficult. It's tough enough when you're dealing with all of that during adolesence with matching psyche and physique - ie "normal"!

I can't imagine. Except that way back when someone I was with in high school, as I think back, was clearly misgendered. I wish I'd had the understanding I have now to have been more inclusive to him. No doubt he felt extremely isolated and uncomfortable.

Anyhow, transgender is not a whim or sexual fling, it's truly a medical condition and a disorder that can be fixed with surgery and support and understanding. If I had kids, I would be more than happy for the opportunity to expose them to a real-life example because I believe it would help them understand sexuality and identity and, also, that life can be messy.

Transgender - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2014, 07:38 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,278,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
That's got to be tremendously difficult and complex, especially after years - decades sometimes - of pretending to be whatever gender you're expected from childhood to be when your hormones and physiology are the "other" sex.

Down to weird things like how to talk to the opposite sex appropriately, how to talk about sports/make up/cars/other people, how to walk, how to wear clothes, etc. For someone who has had family and societal pressure to act like "a boy"(or the opposite) when that is not their true gender, yet they've had to cover and pretend their entire lives including through childhood and adolescence, to act appropriately has got to be incredibly difficult. It's tough enough when you're dealing with all of that during adolesence with matching psyche and physique - ie "normal"!

I can't imagine. Except that way back when someone I was with in high school, as I think back, was clearly misgendered. I wish I'd had the understanding I have now to have been more inclusive to him. No doubt he felt extremely isolated and uncomfortable.

Anyhow, transgender is not a whim or sexual fling, it's truly a medical condition and a disorder that can be fixed with surgery and support and understanding. If I had kids, I would be more than happy for the opportunity to expose them to a real-life example because I believe it would help them understand sexuality and identity and, also, that life can be messy.

Transgender - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Absolutely. I cannot imagine going through that, either. It's not something a person would do for kicks.

I did see a TV show following a few transgendered people, and they did show them learning how to walk as the opposite sex, learning how to use gender-appropriate mannerisms, how to wear the clothes, do their hair, etc. It was interesting and eye-opening.

Old 03-24-2014, 11:01 PM

4,792 posts, read 8,184,653 times
Quote:
It's a medical/hormonal condition, and she is getting it taken care of. Is this only an uncomfortable situation for some people because it involves sex and gender?

Good for her, I say. That takes a lot of courage, I'm sure, given prevailing squeamishness about such things. And good for the school in both being supportive of a valuable employee, and in being open to talking to parents/guardians and children involved. Assuming she's a good and effective teacher (which apparently she is), why should she not keep her job?
In a perfect world I would agree with you.In our less than perfect world I think it would be best to at least transfer to another school in the district.

Old 03-25-2014, 05:12 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,152,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
In a perfect world I would agree with you.In our less than perfect world I think it would be best to at least transfer to another school in the district.
If she were teaching k through 12, that could make sense because it could be quite confusing for younger kids...but she's a high school teacher. Her students will learn about an uncomfortable topic in a structured setting, from someone they know. I think that will be a valuable lesson in many ways.

Old 03-25-2014, 06:43 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,360,745 times
This is actually a fascinating case!
I know, have worked with, hung with females that were men. I have no issue...just am so
sorry for what they have been through, my God....and the expense.

If the question is "disruption" of the school...well, you see I have an issue
just starting a thread on a little girl being expelled.

This would be "disruptive", yes....yet, it is a fact of psychological and medical human nature...
Don't know if those are the right words...it "happens"....so the kids have this
chance to deal with it...and with a probably well liked teacher of 20 years.
I would say a day of discussion in their classes might be enough o maybe a couple kids
seeing the counselor with questions...?

Another school seems like a logical choice....so there must be alotta love and support
for him/her....and in the community at large, also.

Brave person, brave school, brave town.
A fascinating case...

Old 03-25-2014, 07:03 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,360,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelpha View Post
So before the man becomes a woman, he must first go through a transformation of habits including using the women's public restroom even while still a biological male?

That's a little disconcerting.

But after further reflection I suppose there's no real reason for concern. If s/he's attracted to women, s/he's
most likely still civil. If s/he's attracted to men, no worries.
I'm not understanding "still civil"...using the ladies' room...."no worries" as long as she
is attracted to men? If you want to explain more...thanks.

And my experience in the ladies' room with a male to female, now Lauren...is she keeps nervously to herself..
It is a shame that she is so uncomfortable putting on her makeup when we come in and smile.
I mean, I would think there would have been enough therapy for her to be happy now and
to know when we smile at the mirror we are supporting her.
But, who knows the trauma she has been thru...

Old 03-25-2014, 09:00 AM
hvl

403 posts, read 551,597 times
Quote:
Anyhow, transgender is not a whim or sexual fling, it's truly a medical condition and a disorder
Isn't it kind of, "transphobic" to think that it's a disorder ?
I mean, I totally agree but I think that most "progressive and inclusive" people would find your opinion "problematic" and would ask you to "check your cisgender privilege".

Old 03-25-2014, 09:06 AM
hvl

403 posts, read 551,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
Absolutely. I cannot imagine going through that, either. It's not something a person would do for kicks.

I did see a TV show following a few transgendered people, and they did show them learning how to walk as the opposite sex, learning how to use gender-appropriate mannerisms, how to wear the clothes, do their hair, etc. It was interesting and eye-opening.
There are lots of fetishes that people enjoy very much that you'd not imagine that someone would do for the kicks. One researcher dared to ask if it was a fetish and his career has been positively ruined (google Michael Bailey man queen) just for daring to ask that question.

It's interesting that they'd teach the trans "gender appropriate" mannerisms.
I thought gender appropriateness was privilege and oppression and something to be deconstructed at all costs. Man I try to be an "inclusive ally" but it's hard lol.

Old 03-25-2014, 09:12 AM

20,756 posts, read 19,947,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
This is often not possible. Schools have lots of budget cuts and transferring around is not as easy as it sounds.

Old 03-25-2014, 11:36 AM

274 posts, read 704,769 times
Reading the article makes me feel empathetic to her. For sure she is a person of tremendous courage, I can see. She had to give up all the things that she had for so many years.

But one thing that makes me wonder---if she had come out to her family at an early stage of her life, would it have been better or worse? It seems that it was not a matter of choice, because the society used to be way more closed on this and she was too timid to come out, I guess.

For some people this might be difficult to understand (or maybe inconvenient to understand), but it is not about right or wrong. It's only about being humane or not. That's how we should educate our children. I think Yosemite HS got it right. Kudos to them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events