Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2014, 03:41 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,378,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
Pit Bulls are very loving animals. They are a child's best friend...... Until that child happens to step on it's foot. Then he uses his/her face as a chew toy.
There's no real point here, because this dog is a genuine mutt who could be a pit mix, or just as easily not. But I had to laugh when I saw this video not long after reading your post. Had the dog bitten the kid, I'm sure all you guys would say it was a pit bull. But I guess the dog proves she isn't. Be sure and watch to the end!

Bath time with Bix - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2014, 04:31 PM

3,658 posts, read 2,548,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
There's no real point here, because this dog is a genuine mutt who could be a pit mix, or just as easily not. But I had to laugh when I saw this video not long after reading your post. Had the dog bitten the kid, I'm sure all you guys would say it was a pit bull. But I guess the dog proves she isn't. Be sure and watch to the end!

Bath time with Bix - YouTube
Well lets all sing kumbaya over a heartwarming video like this. Reality is a different story.

Old 07-10-2014, 04:40 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,378,721 times
Well, like I said, I don't know if the dog is a pit or not. But reality is this would not be unusual pit bull behavior. I've accidentally stepped on pit bulls I've just met (as they mill around trying to kiss me). They yelp (like any dog, they are *not* impervious to pain as some people say) and then they go on wagging their tails at me. I konk heads with jump untrained pits when I try to leash them up to walk them. We both forget about it. I play tug with my own pit bulls. When they play growl at me I growl back. We have a blast. They're DOGS not monsters.
Oh, and that's another mythbuster. I'm an average height, average weight, average strength woman, and yes I can play tug of war with a pit bull. No superpowered jaws.

Old 07-10-2014, 04:43 PM

723 posts, read 865,528 times
You always hear 'blame the owner not the breed' and 'all dogs bite' when you get these stories, but be honest, do you feel a bit of surprise on the few times when it turns out not to be a pit bull or a 'pit bull type' dog? I certainly do because it usually is. It can't be all just media fearmongering. Frankly I don't care what's politically correct or 'rational', I say **** these dogs, **** keeping anything that was bred specifically to be capable of making a mess of its opponent as a pet. Stay well out of their way and make your kids paranoid about being in their presence too - it doesn't matter how many pit bull owners or apologists get upset by that. They are often the ones on the receiving end themselves and their 'open-mindedness' is pretty scant consolation when they have no face anymore.

Old 07-10-2014, 06:15 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,760,416 times
I think it was Judge Milian on the People's Court who said "Just once I would like to see a dog bite case that didn't involve a Pit Bull." That breed is banned in most apartment communities and even some Cities and Counties, but some owners get around it by having a vet write a letter saying it is not a Pit Bull, but some other breed.

We had a situation here where I live where an old lady was walking her little dog on a leash and a girl was walking her Pit Bull with NO LEASH. The Pit attacked the other dog and the lady, who ended up in the hospital. The owners of the Pit Bull denied the dog was even here and are hiding it from the authorities...........wonderful people, aren't they ? I see a lawsuit coming on this one.

Don

Old 07-10-2014, 07:05 PM

6,457 posts, read 6,634,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
I have never owned a pit, but have met lots of them. I have owned many dogs, some more on the agreessive side (so I've had to be extra cautious with them) and have volunteered with rescue groups and on other dog related message boards. I would gladly offer to answer any questions you might have to help clear up your confusion. Feel free to message me.
Basically my confusion is regarding the actual definition of pit bull. I've been told there is no such breed, I've been told there are three different breeds that fall under the general term "pit bull," I've been told that any dog with broad shoulders and some other characteristics (which I now forget) fall under this general term.

So apparently there is no agreed upon definition.

It was interesting what another poster said (regarding the video of the dog licking the baby) about if the dog had bitten the baby, then it would have been called a pit bull. I do suspect the media is overly generous with its use of the term, but then, what do I know?

BTW, I have done the online quiz "Which one is a pit bull" and failed miserably.

Old 07-10-2014, 09:13 PM

323 posts, read 498,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftwinghillbilly View Post
I live out in the country and walk 5 miles a day. Some new people moved here and lo and behold, out of their yard and into the road came a pack of 5 snarling dogs- 1 Bull Mastiff the size of a pony, 2 crazed Autralian Shephard Pit bull crosses, a three legged Dachund and a Maltese. The three legger and the maltese were obviously the ring leaders and egging on the other three. Fortunately I carry mace and their party was shut down. On other times the same thing happened, but I didn't have to spray them. You have to spray from upwind by the way. Other times I saw them chasing bicyclists with frightful snarls and also chasing cars. I called animal control about those dogs and they went to "talk to the people". I have not seen anymore sign of those dogs for the past three months. I heard another neighbor filed papers too. I looked to me like those people 'rescued' unwanted dogs. Well, if their dog pack had bitten or killed anyone they would have lost their new ranch. One pit bull or other aggressive breed is bad enough. But packs of dogs- they change back into wolves.

Were you being sarcastic with that bolded comment? (Hard to know)

No I was not being sarcastic. That is how it happened. Big headed, bully breeds like Mastiffs and Stafordshire terriers and Pit Bulls are bred to bite and kill. Little dogs can bite too, they just don't usually kill. ALL dogs in a pack situation, their personalities change. Because canids form packs in order to kill prey.

Old 07-10-2014, 10:05 PM

25,420 posts, read 17,101,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
Am I the only one who finds it genuinely impossible to form an opinion about pit bulls? Seems impossible to find information from a neutral enough source...
You could read all the articles about how loving they are, and then do a search to find pictures of their victims. Then you could make up your own mind.

Old 07-10-2014, 10:11 PM

25,420 posts, read 17,101,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
Well, like I said, I don't know if the dog is a pit or not. But reality is this would not be unusual pit bull behavior. I've accidentally stepped on pit bulls I've just met (as they mill around trying to kiss me). They yelp (like any dog, they are *not* impervious to pain as some people say) and then they go on wagging their tails at me. I konk heads with jump untrained pits when I try to leash them up to walk them. We both forget about it. I play tug with my own pit bulls. When they play growl at me I growl back. We have a blast. They're DOGS not monsters.
Oh, and that's another mythbuster. I'm an average height, average weight, average strength woman, and yes I can play tug of war with a pit bull. No superpowered jaws.
So far, so good.
Quote:
Katie Morrison, 20, died of complications from severe injuries she suffered while playing the dogs on April 28. Morrison was playing with four dogs and the dog’s owner at a home in the Heather Brooke neighborhood when she apparently knelt down to pick something up and one of the dogs attacked her, Coroner Bill Harris says. Two other dogs then began to attack her as well. Officials told WRBL News 3 after the attack that Morrison was being introduced to the dogs by a friend. Morrison was scheduled to watch the dogs while the friend went out of town.
Smiths Station woman dies after pit bull attack - WRBL

Old 07-10-2014, 11:08 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,864,752 times
Something I have concluded as of late...death kills people. Government should ban death. No other crime matters after that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies