Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2014, 10:46 PM

25,573 posts, read 17,281,298 times

Advertisements

Here an interesting story:
Quote:
An 8-month-old baby from Indianapolis was killed by a family dog in Dayton, Ohio on Sunday. And after some digging, it’s possible this may not have been the first time the dog has attacked. A neighbor tells 24-Hour-News 8 she filed charges six weeks ago after her dog was attacked. She says her dog was attacked by the same dog responsible for killing an innocent child Sunday night.
Neighbor says dog who killed Indy infant has attacked before | WISH-TV

In this case the dog was identified as an American Staffordshire terrier. Know what they look like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2014, 02:33 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,591,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Yep. Take it to the pet forum.
Pet forum doesn't allow Pit Bull attack news at all. It gets delete or closed.

Old 07-22-2014, 05:15 AM

11,780 posts, read 5,792,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftwinghillbilly View Post
There are a lot MORE pitbulls around now. But please examine the most recent statistics. Almost everyday I read about people being mauled and children killed by, you guessed it, pitbulls.

You will never change your opinion so there's no use trying. There are more pit bull mixes nowadays just as there were more shepard mixes in their time of being the aggressive dog and pinchers and dobs in theirs. If people don't act responsibly and get their dogs neutered or spayed - that's what happens.

The thing is humans are the ones with a brain capable of making decisions rather than acting on animal instinct which the rest of the animal kingdom does. If a dog owner mistreats his animals - it's not the animals fault - if the parent is too busy to watch their child - it's not the child's or dogs fault.

Any animal can be aggressive and act out without reason - case in point - the tiger that was raised by Siegfried and Roy that mauled the one.

I was deathly scared of my uncle's cocker spaniel because he bit. I'm scared of the Chihuahua next door because he bites anyone who gets near him. I'm more afraid of my terrier beagle mix than either of my 2 pit mixes as he's the one who would nip if you try to take away his chew toy - where the other two willingly give up theirs when I tell them to drop.

You are making assumptions on all pit bulls because of a few just as I could make assumptions of all hillbillies because of your beliefs.

Old 07-22-2014, 05:19 AM

11,780 posts, read 5,792,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Where's your comma there, buddy?

The language of this country, which you grew up in, and attended school in - apparently from kindergarten through high school - is English. Learn it.

Then you can talk about how "educated people" in the US don't own pit bulls - that is, in your opinion - based on your pig hunting days with your best friend's uncle down in Mexico, or whatever your story was.

Personally, I hate all grammar police on these boards. These are simple mistakes that anyone can make while typing. Even spell check does not catch them all if what you mistyped is actually a word. To attack someone for spelling means you have nothing to say in response to what others have posted so you're doing no more than belittling them because of a mistyped word.

Old 07-22-2014, 07:18 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
Personally, I hate all grammar police on these boards. These are simple mistakes that anyone can make while typing. Even spell check does not catch them all if what you mistyped is actually a word. To attack someone for spelling means you have nothing to say in response to what others have posted so you're doing no more than belittling them because of a mistyped word.
The ONLY reason I said anything at all about his ongoing grammar mistakes (not one or two, by the way) is because he was saying that the only people who like pit bulls are uneducated and ignorant. I thought that was very ironic and couldn't resist pointing out that irony.

Old 07-22-2014, 08:38 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,958,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
The poor misunderstood pit is at is again. Such a gentle dog.
Poor misunderstood (by pit owners) violence prone pit bulls. So gentle, until they decide they don't like you anymore.

I commented on a thread in the Dog section where the purpose of the thread was to show positive stories of pit bulls. I said I was attacked by one, so I don't have a positive story. My comment was deleted because they don't allow negative stories. I love a good one-sided argument.

Old 07-22-2014, 08:48 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
I am not ready to vilify a breed, but can we stop with the stupid "any dog can bite" argument?

Of course they can all bite.
But you honestly cannot compare "I took her bone" or I stepped on his foot" or "I touched a painful spot" with "They got loose and randomly attacked a passerby across the street."

At least inject some intellectual honesty into the conversation.

Old 07-22-2014, 09:14 AM

13,388 posts, read 6,439,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
You will never change your opinion so there's no use trying. There are more pit bull mixes nowadays just as there were more shepard mixes in their time of being the aggressive dog and pinchers and dobs in theirs. If people don't act responsibly and get their dogs neutered or spayed - that's what happens.

The thing is humans are the ones with a brain capable of making decisions rather than acting on animal instinct which the rest of the animal kingdom does. If a dog owner mistreats his animals - it's not the animals fault - if the parent is too busy to watch their child - it's not the child's or dogs fault.

Any animal can be aggressive and act out without reason - case in point - the tiger that was raised by Siegfried and Roy that mauled the one.

I was deathly scared of my uncle's cocker spaniel because he bit. I'm scared of the Chihuahua next door because he bites anyone who gets near him. I'm more afraid of my terrier beagle mix than either of my 2 pit mixes as he's the one who would nip if you try to take away his chew toy - where the other two willingly give up theirs when I tell them to drop.

You are making assumptions on all pit bulls because of a few just as I could make assumptions of all hillbillies because of your beliefs.
This is the kind of statement that makes pitt bulls dangerous and their owners both dangerous and irresponsible.

Dogs are not people. Dogs of all breeds have been bred for hundreds of years to have very specific traits, both physically and mentally. If you don't understand that, you shouldn't own any kind of dog.

The whole purpose of breeding dogs is to create a stereotypical dog that conforms to certain standards.

Unfortunately, pitts were originally bred for the nefarious and inhumane purpose of baiting bulls and fighting other dogs. Some people still breed for this aggression/gameness.

Pitt bulls were bred specifically to be aggressive to other dogs. If you own one, you should assume that is bred into their nature and act accordingly.

In theory, if pitts redirected their aggression to humans when dog fighting they were killed. But, does anyone believe that is always what happened or that a dog that was human aggressive hadn't already produced other dogs like it that survived and continued to breed. Of course not. So unless you know the pedigree of your pitt and no dog in its line has ever exhibited aggression redirected to humans assume its possible and act accordingly.

This is the problem with pitt owners. The majority of them don't fully understand the nature of any dog, much less the specific breed they own.

Old 07-22-2014, 09:26 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,958,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I am not ready to vilify a breed, but can we stop with the stupid "any dog can bite" argument?

Of course they can all bite.
But you honestly cannot compare "I took her bone" or I stepped on his foot" or "I touched a painful spot" with "They got loose and randomly attacked a passerby across the street."

At least inject some intellectual honesty into the conversation.
Blind love is a dangerous thing.

Old 07-22-2014, 09:29 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,029,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneyus View Post
Blind love is a dangerous thing.

as is blind hate.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies