Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2015, 05:03 PM

35,061 posts, read 16,995,362 times

Advertisements

[quote=lenniel;41990849]I would think that most people that own collies or labs or retrievers don't run into such a problem.
[1/quote]Those breeds are just plain ferocious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2015, 05:23 PM

159 posts, read 169,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
While the dogs you listed don't typically tend toward aggression I have seen aggressive ones in each of the breeds you have listed.

That being said, some people tend to be almost cult-like when it comes to "their" breed, believing they can do no wrong. In my experience, Pit Bull owners tend to fit in this category more so than the owners of other breeds. As a result, they often appear incapable of rational thought when it comes to their dogs and continually make excuses for all the attacks (insert standard list of excuses here). What were these dogs bred to do? Why would you specifically want a Pit with all the other choices available?

Now in regards to dealing with aggressive dogs, the posts by NVplumber are not off the mark as some has suggested. I've spent years around aggressive dogs and wolf hybrids. If you are not perceived at all times as being in charge (alpha) you will have a very, very bad day. The technique he described and others may be required to save the dog's life. Otherwise you would be left with no choice but to put him/her down.

While I'm on my soapbox:
Nobody needs a wolf-hybrid. After working with them for nearly 20 years, my opinion on them has changed-and not for the better. They are a genetic crapshoot!

And NO dog should be left with a small child without supervision.
The thing is the technigue he advised gets people bit, he even said he has been bit doing it. And when dog's bite, thats when they are put down. Michael Ellis has a good video explaining why Alpha rolls should not be done. Nicole Wilde speaks about how dangerous they are also, she has a lot of experience with wolves and hybrids. This thread is about dog attacks, it's kind of scary to see anyone advising these methods when it is so well known that a person can get very hurt doing it. Sometimes I wonder with dog's that attack their owners if an owner tried rolling their dog and dog fought back.

Old 11-19-2015, 07:39 PM

4,254 posts, read 3,173,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferL View Post
The thing is the technigue he advised gets people bit, he even said he has been bit doing it. And when dog's bite, thats when they are put down. Michael Ellis has a good video explaining why Alpha rolls should not be done. Nicole Wilde speaks about how dangerous they are also, she has a lot of experience with wolves and hybrids. This thread is about dog attacks, it's kind of scary to see anyone advising these methods when it is so well known that a person can get very hurt doing it. Sometimes I wonder with dog's that attack their owners if an owner tried rolling their dog and dog fought back.

Michael is outstanding, however, in my opinion there are no easy ways to break a "truly" aggressive dog and yes, they require some level of risk-afterall these dogs are aggressive and dominant. The other choice is to put the dog down and for many people that is absolutely the right choice.

Old 11-20-2015, 02:40 AM

13,711 posts, read 9,230,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
That is what Im saying. One contributing factors as to why there is a high percentage of "pit bull" attacks in the media is the increase in ownership. Some posters seem to believe the only reason for it is because ALL pit bull type dogs are just inherently evil and aggressive and it just a matter of time until every one of them attacks someone.
Yes, the increase in ownership contributes to the increase in attack; but it does not negate the fact that Pit Bulls are the leading culprits. You don't see Labradors with this much problem do you? Even though Labs are more popular than Pits. All you're saying is that Pit Bull is the most fashionable aggressive breeds right now.

Is all Pit Bull inherently evil? Probably not. But the problem is 1) No one can tell which one is nice and which one is evil until the day it goes crazy. 2) Even its owner cannot restrain a Pit gone wild, in fact, the owner can be fair game to a Pit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
See NVplumbers post.
NVplumbers' post doesn't have anything to do with my point. Are you too lazy to make your own?

Old 11-20-2015, 06:37 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,029,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
Yeh, that sounds all well and good, but you'll be hard pressed to find a pit owner who doesn't think they have control of their dog or that they're the alpha.
I can guarantee that every pit owner who's dog attacked someone is going to say "Oh yeh, I'm in control. He's never shown aggression before. I just can't understand it"......duhhhh
what would you EXPECT them to say??

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
Yes, yes, it's not the breed, it's the owners. But then we should ask why are pitbull owners so much more irresponsible than owners of other breeds, based on the number and severity of attacks? Maybe those owners ought to be prohibited from owning dangerous breeds.

Mick

more like they should be prohibited from owning ANY breed........

Old 11-20-2015, 07:27 AM

36,519 posts, read 30,856,131 times
[quote=beb0p;42002655]
Quote:
Yes, the increase in ownership contributes to the increase in attack; but it does not negate the fact that Pit Bulls are the leading culprits. You don't see Labradors with this much problem do you? Even though Labs are more popular than Pits. All you're saying is that Pit Bull is the most fashionable aggressive breeds right now.
Can you really not comprehend more than one issue at a time.

Quote:
Is all Pit Bull inherently evil? Probably not. But the problem is 1) No one can tell which one is nice and which one is evil until the day it goes crazy. 2) Even its owner cannot restrain a Pit gone wild, in fact, the owner can be fair game to a Pit.

NVplumbers' post doesn't have anything to do with my point. Are you too lazy to make your own?
NVplumbers' post covered the problem with many dog owners which answered your question.

Old 11-20-2015, 08:43 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,038,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
what would you EXPECT them to say??

more like they should be prohibited from owning ANY breed........

That's the point! I actually believe them that these pitbulls probably haven't shown any aggression, until it's too late.....
Then they act dumbfounded like they can't believe it happened. Well, guess what, you play Russian Roulette, and eventually you're going to lose.

Old 11-20-2015, 09:07 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,626,323 times
Quote:
Yeh, that sounds all well and good, but you'll be hard pressed to find a pit owner who doesn't think they have control of their dog or that they're the alpha.
I can guarantee that every pit owner who's dog attacked someone is going to say "Oh yeh, I'm in control. He's never shown aggression before. I just can't understand it"......duhhhh
Indeed.(sigh) unfortunately, you are correct. Pits do not have the working nature of other breeds. They don't train easily, and are not used as working security/ LE animals, for that reason. This is a point I have to acquiesce. Pits don't respond like Rotts and Shepherds. Or even Dobies. There is an inate tendency for them to ignore control. They are an Alpha breed.

I don't like Pits. Never have. They are not for me, and I've had intractable dogs before. Chiefly, my coy. He wass difficult to train. But I did it. I also had him from a young age. He was barely weaned when he came to me. But, as he grew, I saw what needed to be done. First, he got fixed. Then , we established who was head of the team. He was not a pet. He was a working, security animal. His job was to guard and protect. I NEVER took him into public without a leash. Matter of fact, I never took him into public. Lol. Take no chances. A dog has a mind of its own. They can.chose to challenge you, at any time. Its up to you to be ready for that. Problem is, as you stated, to many folks get caught with their britches down.

This next will get me scorified by Pit lovers, but, I see them as a "junkyard" type animal. Indiscriminate, and diffi cult, if not impossible, to gain control over. Yes, I've seen lovey Pits. Mainly females. But , they are a breed that does not understand what "OUT" means. That is a command that MUST be obeyed. In no uncertain terms. (Another heavy sigh) animals are living beings. As I've said, more people are injured or killed by horses than dogs. Look up the stats. And its all due to ignorance. The animal is following its nature, and the human wasn't ready for it. Handling animals takes know how, and insight. Its not a drop and go proposition. Its called taking it for granted. And its a horrid mistake.

Last edited by NVplumber; 11-20-2015 at 09:23 AM..

Old 11-20-2015, 09:53 AM

36,519 posts, read 30,856,131 times
Quote:
That's the point! I actually believe them that these pitbulls probably haven't shown any aggression, until it's too late.....
Then they act dumbfounded like they can't believe it happened. Well, guess what, you play Russian Roulette, and eventually you're going to lose.
Yet in follow up you will find there were indeed prior incidents with a great many of these dogs that severely attacked or killed someone. So the owners were aware, but they aren't going to say that publicly. Most often the attackers are intact, often they are in packs, often they are running loose, often they are left unattended with children, often it is a combination of these. What idiot doesn't know these things can result in tragedy?

Old 11-20-2015, 10:02 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
I had a dominant collie once.
From day one - the breeder even said she railroaded all the other puppies.
Best damn dog I ever had.
I was her alpha and everyone else could go jump in a lake.
IF she felt like it, she'd listen to my ex or my wife or my parents.
That was most of the time. She was a good-natured dog and liked people.
But if she didn't feel like it, she'd just roll her eyes and sit there.

How did she display her dominance with people?
By ignoring their commands. Not by biting the crap out of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies