Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2016, 07:48 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,959,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I think that pit bulls are misunderstood. Ever notice what happens when you're sitting on the couch watching TV and your pooch wants to be petted? I used to have a poodle the size of a German Shepherd. He would shove his nose under your hand. If you ignored it he pushed further, sometimes up to the armpit. At that point I always petted since I was afraid he'd rip me to shreds.

Pit bulls may have a lower tolerance for non-petting.
If you have an animal around the house that wants to kill you because it didnt get pet, then youre a dumb mofunka for wanting something like that around from the get-go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2016, 08:04 AM

3,658 posts, read 2,560,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
If you have an animal around the house that wants to kill you because it didnt get pet, then youre a dumb mofunka for wanting something like that around from the get-go.
I think he was being facetious.

Old 03-07-2016, 02:22 PM

35,000 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Quote:
I think that pit bulls are misunderstood. Ever notice what happens when you're sitting on the couch watching TV and your pooch wants to be petted? I used to have a poodle the size of a German Shepherd. He would shove his nose under your hand. If you ignored it he pushed further, sometimes up to the armpit. At that point I always petted since I was afraid he'd rip me to shreds.

Pit bulls may have a lower tolerance for non-petting.
I think he was being facetious.
I suspect that the pit bulls, being extremely intelligent, in marked similarity to their "urban artist" owners, know in advance they won't be petted on demand, and attacked preemptively.

Old 03-07-2016, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
They're so loving! Dishing-out heaping helpings of UNCONDITIONAL LOVE, in their own special way. Great with kids! Houma Police: Girl, 4, dies after attack from pit bull | wwltv.com New Orleans
LOL I knew this would be sarcastic.
When my (now) older son was about 3 weeks old we left him for the evening with my father-in-law, his wife, and their German Shepherd, Cody, My wife and I were joking that Cody would just "love" our son "the same way he loves sirloin steak." To be honest, the dog did lick my then baby son.

So my wife and I got our sarcasm in too. But with quite different results.

Old 03-07-2016, 06:10 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,108,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
There's nothing wrong with pit bulls per se but they are powerful and extremely tenacious in an attack.

That means they have to be carefully trained. Unfortunately, too often they are not.
I think it's in the breeding, too. I think despicable people wanted a fighting dog that would win at all costs, so they inadvertently or otherwise introduced a gene into the breed that kind of makes for a "snap" switch st times. It sounds similar to the rage syndrome experienced by another breed ( can't think of the name, but Lady in Lady and the Tramp).

People in the past have even bred dog breeds that have gone extinct because their fighting instincts were so honed that the male and the in-heat female would rather fright to the death than breed. You can google that.

People say it's the owner. Yes. But not necessarily the current one. They didn't breed this dog back several generations.

Old 03-07-2016, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
It sounds similar to the rage syndrome experienced by another breed ( can't think of the name, but Lady in Lady and the Tramp).
Golden Retrievers and Chocolate Labs.

Old 03-19-2016, 12:18 PM

Default Dangerous Situation; Old English Sheep Dogs

A neighbor has an Old English Sheepdog they keep in a fenced yard. Often it barks as I jog by, to seek attention. Keep in mind it doesn't have a tail so I have no way to gauge its mood. Its beautiful blue eyes are often hidden behind the shag of its fur, so it's very hard to tell what it will do. Sometimes I reach over the fence. It takes a taste of my hand and then tries to hit my hand with its paw.

When I stop petting it stands at the fence. I am scared that if I put my hand back over I will receive a pit-bull style mauling. Nothing meaner than an insufficiently petted Old English Sheep Dog.

Old 03-19-2016, 01:20 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,108,708 times
Quote:
Golden Retrievers and Chocolate Labs.
Nope. I remembered. It's purebred Cocker Spaniels. Some lines have rage syndrome. Maybe the breeds you referenced do as well, but I was talking about Cockers. The thing is that a Cocker with a rage switch can take off your finger while a pitbull with a rage switch can take your life.

Old 03-19-2016, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Nope. I remembered. It's purebred Cocker Spaniels. Some lines have rage syndrome. Maybe the breeds you referenced do as well, but I was talking about Cockers. The thing is that a Cocker with a rage switch can take off your finger while a pitbull with a rage switch can take your life.
Chocolate labs, Golden Retrievers and Old English Sheepdogs certainly have the ability to take your life.

Old 03-19-2016, 04:05 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,887,444 times
Quote:
A neighbor has an Old English Sheepdog they keep in a fenced yard. Often it barks as I jog by, to seek attention. Keep in mind it doesn't have a tail so I have no way to gauge its mood. Its beautiful blue eyes are often hidden behind the shag of its fur, so it's very hard to tell what it will do. Sometimes I reach over the fence. It takes a taste of my hand and then tries to hit my hand with its paw.

When I stop petting it stands at the fence. I am scared that if I put my hand back over I will receive a pit-bull style mauling. Nothing meaner than an insufficiently petted Old English Sheep Dog.
My mother's Old English Sheep Dog was the only dog who ever bit me. I was three, and don't really remember it. My mother and grandmother decided he had only "snapped" (there was very little blood, apparently) so we kept him. I have always been more comfortable in the presence of shorthaired dogs, perhaps because I can see their mouths. Not that I would want to have a pit bull, mind you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies