U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 12:39 PM

21,334 posts, read 21,912,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
I have a solution. There are a lot of hungry people in North Korea and China who eat dog and consider it a delicacy. Why can't we send the thousands of pit bulls in US shelters over there to be eaten? It would solve two big problems (our pit bulls and their hunger), and it would improve relations between us and North Korea so that we might not even need drunken Dennis Rodman as our ambassador. Haven't charities who specialize in feeding the hungry looked into this, and if not, why not?
i have a better idea...

Old 03-26-2014, 01:16 PM

29,502 posts, read 15,463,692 times
I have no respect for anybody who would have their child around this "type" of dog.

Years and years ago, I had a friend whose pitt (which adopted as a puppy) killed the girlfriend's dog. I thought, "sometimes dogs fight and things go wrong."

Just 7 or 8 years ago, I was with another friend who had a pitt, Jaeger.. I had been around the dog hundreds of times by the time the dog was five. Once when I was over there, he was dog-sitting his parent's boxer while they were out of town. The dogs had played together dozens of times.

We were in the backyard, and a motorcycle that was going down the road on the backside of the fence backfired. Immediately, Jaeger tore into the boxer. The boxer had to be put down due to injury and my buddy got a dozen stitches in his arm from trying to pull Jaeger off of the boxer. After witnessing how that dog, who was raised right and had never even growled before, turned into a viscous machine in a split second, I have never viewed that breed the same. I've had dogs and have been around tons of dogs, but I've never witnessed such a Jeckyl and Hyde transformation that occurred in a heartbeat. If that had been a child standing beside Jaeger at that moment, that kid would be dead.

It's my opinion that this type of dog should be removed from the canine population through strict non-breeding laws. Meaning, if you have a pitt now, you keep your pitt but fixing is mandatory and puppies result in huge fines and the puppies being destroyed. That's how I feel, and my mind can't be changed.

My kids will not be allowed to me in a home or around this type of dog, period.

Old 03-26-2014, 01:20 PM

18,678 posts, read 23,269,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaboy View Post
The difference between Pit Bulls and other breads of dogs, (the key major difference) is that when a Pit Bull decides to engage in an attack, or fight with a human, or another dog, or animal, it WILL NOT STOP UNTIL WHAT IT'S ATTACKING IS DEAD, OR IT IS DEAD. PERIOD!

I watched a Pit Bull when I was a teenager attack a neighbors dog and the owner of the dog being attacked was hitting the dog in the face and head with a shovel and pipe and the dog would not stop. Both dogs died and the pit with it's teeth latched onto the other dog.

I watched a man who owned a pit bull get his arm chewed off. There is also a video on youtube where you can see another owner mauled to death by his pit bull who was wagging it's tail and having a great time as it chewed it's pleading owner to death.

Pit bulls were bread for attacking and to kill. Dogs are not humans and do not reason like humans. I've heard all the arguments as owners are blinded by the seemingly loving and loyal pit bulls, but when something arises and in the mind of that dog is wants or needs to attack, it's game over.

Then we get into the societal issues with this breed. 90% are owned by thugs who think it's cool to own a killing machine of a dog. And they are not responsible owners. But what these thugs have found, it when they "sick" their dog on someone, they are unable to call them off. and that equates to a murder charge for the dog owner.

Pits, at the very least need to be required to have owners who are required to have a license and regulated, much like owning a lion or tiger would require.

And people who get all gleeful and post youtube videos showing their infants, or small children cuddling with a pit should have their children taken away!!!!!

Where do you get this information?

Do you also believe that pit bulls have a unique type of jaw that latches on to whatever it bites?"
That's FALSE also.

So, when the American Pit Bull was once America's favorite breed - the Golden Retriever of the dog world, was that a different type of pit bull? Look at the dog "Petey" in the "Our Gang Comedies" ("The Little Rascals" on TV), the producer selected one of America's favorite breed of dogs for the part.
And they selected well. A breed that lives to please, is relatively calm and not nervous around children and movement. (I can think of several breeds that are not, but I will not categorically vilify any breed of dog) If the American Pit Bull was dangerous, why would that breed of dog been chosen by director Hal Roach. Because they are viscous? Sure. Right.

The Pit Bull was used as the trademark for numerous corporations. I can think of two off hand - RCA and Buster Brown children's shoes. Why? Because the breed was well liked and had a positive connotation among consumers and was well regarded as a symbol of integrity and loyalty.

"A pit bull will fight until what it's attacking is dead"? Really. Source?

"90 are owned by thugs". Sorry. Gonna need a source for that one, as well.

Here's a statement that makes me laugh "Dogs are not humans and do not reason like humans".
OK. That's true. But it's a silly comment.

At the turn of the century and for the next two or three decades, the Pit Bull remained in favor.
Many people, including myself, share their homes with Pit Bull dogs.

My dogs are calm and sweet. When they were younger, they were great playmates and companions to our children, who are now late teens - young adults.
Now they are seniors, and they spend most of their time sleeping and warding off attacks from our two cats and our mini-Dachshund.

It saddens me when these kind friendly animals are avoided by pedestrians when we take a walk.

Old 03-26-2014, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
It saddens me when these kind friendly animals are avoided by pedestrians when we take a walk.
Fatal dog attacks in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Which breed is by far, not even close, over represented in fatal attacks?

Yeah.

Old 03-26-2014, 01:50 PM

1,280 posts, read 1,437,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Fatal dog attacks in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Which breed is by far, not even close, over represented in fatal attacks?

Yeah.
Wow! I read the list and almost all exclusively pit bull attacks. Pretty much sums it up right there! Rottweiler's came in second and between those two breeds make up about 99% of the attacks. Also, noticed the few fatalities committed by other breeds, we children, usually involving them approaching a dog while eating. Pit bull attacks were on adults and children, elderly as well. The fatal pit bull attacks made of about 95% of all those attacks going back to the 1970's.

I think anyone arguing that pit bulls are just misunderstood, can shut the hellll up now.

Old 03-26-2014, 02:01 PM

14,698 posts, read 8,497,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
Most folks wouldn't know what a pitbull is even if it bit them in the butt.
And too many pit bulls do exactly that.

Old 03-26-2014, 02:10 PM

22,764 posts, read 16,841,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
Most folks wouldn't know what a pitbull is even if it bit them in the butt.

If the media doesn't know the breed of dog, they call it a pitbull, and everyone starts gnashing their teeth crying about how evil the pitbull is. The uninformed are typically the loudest, drowning out all reason and sense.

Old 03-26-2014, 02:16 PM

22,764 posts, read 16,841,238 times
OMG, read the article. The dog was 130 pounds.

THAT IS NOT A PIT BULL! Pit bulls do NOT weigh 130 pounds. Pitbulls weigh 22-78 pounds.

Once again, the pit bull gets the blame when an idiot can't identify a dog.

http://www.aadrdogs.com/

http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/virtua...bout-pit-bulls

http://www.realpitbull.com/ukcstandard.html

Last edited by Three Wolves In Snow; 03-26-2014 at 02:29 PM..

Old 03-26-2014, 02:17 PM

2,049 posts, read 1,333,471 times
2013 U.S. Dog Bite Fatalities - Dog Bite Statistics - DogsBite.org

Old 03-26-2014, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
THAT IS NOT A PIT BULL! Pit bulls do NOT weigh 130 pounds. Pitbulls weigh 22-78 pounds.
I really don't believe anyone is taking DNA samples and saying, "Well, it has 60% pit, 30% rotty and 10% lab; therefore, we shall refer to it as a potterab."

Should we categorize every dog without papers and a pure bloodline as a mutt?

This is why I generally refer to it as the 'type' and not the breed.

BTW, I was able to pick out the pit.

I'm also guessing the mother of the dead girl, who owned the dog, new it wasn't a Bichon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events