U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2014, 02:31 PM

1,984 posts, read 1,309,213 times

Advertisements

25 out of 30 in 2013. Seems pretty clear to me! Is there really even an argument?

Old 03-26-2014, 02:34 PM

22,764 posts, read 16,845,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I really don't believe anyone is taking DNA samples and saying, "Well, it has 60% pit, 30% rotty and 10% lab; therefore, we shall refer to it as a potterab."

Should we categorize every dog without papers and a pure bloodline as a mutt?

This is why I generally refer to it as the 'type' and not the breed.

BTW, I was able to pick out the pit.

I'm also guessing the mother of the dead girl, who owned the dog, new it wasn't a Bichon.
A pit bull is not going to be anywhere NEAR that size. You can dance around this all that you want, that dog that attacked that girl is NOT a pit bull.

Old 03-26-2014, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Fatal dog attacks in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Which breed is by far, not even close, over represented in fatal attacks?

Yeah.
In your little Wikipedia list...seriously? Wikipedia?

Anyway, in that list, did you notice that the dogs were identified properly until about the 2000s when all of a sudden, it was pit bull for everything?

First of all, it's Wikipedia.

Second of all, as stated, and as so many are illustrating right here on this thread, people have NO idea what a pit bull actually is or looks like. Not a clue. They THINK they know, but they mistake other dog breeds for pit bulls. Journalists say pit bulls for the sensationalism. The fact of the matter is, a 130 pound dog is NOT a pit bull. You may as well have said that this 130 pound dog was a Jack Russell for all the sense that claim makes.

Old 03-26-2014, 02:37 PM

14,698 posts, read 8,501,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaboy View Post
Wow! I read the list and almost all exclusively pit bull attacks. Pretty much sums it up right there! Rottweiler's came in second and between those two breeds make up about 99% of the attacks. Also, noticed the few fatalities committed by other breeds, we children, usually involving them approaching a dog while eating. Pit bull attacks were on adults and children, elderly as well. The fatal pit bull attacks made of about 95% of all those attacks going back to the 1970's.

I think anyone arguing that pit bulls are just misunderstood, can shut the hellll up now.
But that's not what they do. No matter what evidence I provide them (and I've even offered pit bull lovers that very link), they deny pit bulls are more aggressive than other breeds. They have all sorts of rationalizations why X attack occurred this time, like:

1. The dog wasn't really a pit bull. It was some other breed.

2. The dog wasn't neutered.

3. The dog lived its life on a chain.

4. The dog was provoked somehow.

5. The owner didn't train the dog properly. MY "pittie" would never attack anyone.

6. The media sensationalizes pit bull attacks so even though it seems like pit bulls attack more often, they really don't.

7. Whatever evidence you have that says pits are more likely to be aggressive is biased. The only evidence that is right are the sites that say they are not more aggressive.

Many pit bulls are awesome and loving family dogs. They're just unpredictable. They appear much more likely to be aggressive given the statistical data collected over long term case histories. I just don't understand why pit bull owners just say, "My breed is more likely to be aggressive. However, I love them anyway and will be careful." After all, any dog has the potential for aggression.

Old 03-26-2014, 02:45 PM

2,049 posts, read 1,333,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
A pit bull is not going to be anywhere NEAR that size. You can dance around this all that you want, that dog that attacked that girl is NOT a pit bull.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=M_2JNUP74dw

Old 03-26-2014, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
But that's not what they do. No matter what evidence I provide them (and I've even offered pit bull lovers that very link), they deny pit bulls are more aggressive than other breeds. They have all sorts of rationalizations why X attack occurred this time, like:

1. The dog wasn't really a pit bull. It was some other breed.

2. The dog wasn't neutered.

3. The dog lived its life on a chain.

4. The dog was provoked somehow.

5. The owner didn't train the dog properly. MY "pittie" would never attack anyone.

6. The media sensationalizes pit bull attacks so even though it seems like pit bulls attack more often, they really don't.

7. Whatever evidence you have that says pits are more likely to be aggressive is biased. The only evidence that is right are the sites that say they are not more aggressive.

Many pit bulls are awesome and loving family dogs. They're just unpredictable. They appear much more likely to be aggressive given the statistical data collected over long term case histories. I just don't understand why pit bull owners just say, "My breed is more likely to be aggressive. However, I love them anyway and will be careful." After all, any dog has the potential for aggression.
I provided quality links, (note: NOT wikipedia)

Please, educate yourself before you make more false comments.

Old 03-26-2014, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erratikmind View Post
That is NOT a pit bull.

This?

Is NOT a pit bull.

These ARE pit bulls..notice the difference?

http://thebullybreeds.com/2013/09/18...junior-photos/

Last edited by Three Wolves In Snow; 03-26-2014 at 02:59 PM..

Old 03-26-2014, 02:55 PM

2,049 posts, read 1,333,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
That is NOT a pit bull.
Then you and the pit bull breeder are in disagreement.

Old 03-26-2014, 03:02 PM

161 posts, read 135,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erratikmind View Post
Then you and the pit bull breeder are in disagreement.
That is an "American Bully". Nothing like an APBT.

Old 03-26-2014, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferL View Post
That is an "American Bully". Nothing like an APBT.
Thank GOD, someone with some sense. Exactly.

You see? People have NO idea what a pit bull actually looks like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events