Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 10:40 AM

3,730 posts, read 5,715,302 times

Advertisements

They're so loving! Dishing-out heaping helpings of UNCONDITIONAL LOVE, in their own special way. Great with kids! Houma Police: Girl, 4, dies after attack from pit bull | wwltv.com New Orleans
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2014, 11:32 AM

2,519 posts, read 1,884,921 times
My son and DIL had a pit bull. After the birth of my grandson, I asked them to removed the pit from their home. They gave their pit to a friend.

Regardless of the many positive experiences with pit bulls, we were not willing to test the said with the safety of the baby.

Old 03-26-2014, 12:24 PM

I'm sure that pit bulls can be stellar pets. However, with all of the tragic pit bull incidents, why would a parent take that risk with their children?

Hopefully, the death of this 4 year old is a wake up call for some parents.

Old 03-26-2014, 12:35 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,717,774 times
As a retired dairy farmer, I see a big similarity between owners of pit bulls and owners of bulls.

My dad used to say..........." the only tame bull hangs in a butcher shop"

I knew many farmers who proclaimed THEIR bull was tame and thus totally different from rowdy bulls. Many a farmer got maimed or killed by their " tame " bull.

I believe no bull should be trusted to the point of precautions forgotten.
I believe no pit bull should be trusted to the point of precautions forgotten.

Old 03-26-2014, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
Most folks wouldn't know what a pitbull is even if it bit them in the butt.
I would agree with you. However, I would trust that parents would be a bit more mindful.

Old 03-26-2014, 02:16 PM

34,620 posts, read 21,433,491 times
I have no respect for anybody who would have their child around this "type" of dog.

Years and years ago, I had a friend whose pitt (which adopted as a puppy) killed the girlfriend's dog. I thought, "sometimes dogs fight and things go wrong."

Just 7 or 8 years ago, I was with another friend who had a pitt, Jaeger.. I had been around the dog hundreds of times by the time the dog was five. Once when I was over there, he was dog-sitting his parent's boxer while they were out of town. The dogs had played together dozens of times.

We were in the backyard, and a motorcycle that was going down the road on the backside of the fence backfired. Immediately, Jaeger tore into the boxer. The boxer had to be put down due to injury and my buddy got a dozen stitches in his arm from trying to pull Jaeger off of the boxer. After witnessing how that dog, who was raised right and had never even growled before, turned into a viscous machine in a split second, I have never viewed that breed the same. I've had dogs and have been around tons of dogs, but I've never witnessed such a Jeckyl and Hyde transformation that occurred in a heartbeat. If that had been a child standing beside Jaeger at that moment, that kid would be dead.

It's my opinion that this type of dog should be removed from the canine population through strict non-breeding laws. Meaning, if you have a pitt now, you keep your pitt but fixing is mandatory and puppies result in huge fines and the puppies being destroyed. That's how I feel, and my mind can't be changed.

My kids will not be allowed to me in a home or around this type of dog, period.

Old 03-26-2014, 03:16 PM

30,120 posts, read 23,504,586 times
OMG, read the article. The dog was 130 pounds.

THAT IS NOT A PIT BULL! Pit bulls do NOT weigh 130 pounds. Pitbulls weigh 22-78 pounds.

Once again, the pit bull gets the blame when an idiot can't identify a dog.

http://www.aadrdogs.com/

http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/virtua...bout-pit-bulls

http://www.realpitbull.com/ukcstandard.html

Last edited by Three Wolves In Snow; 03-26-2014 at 03:29 PM..

Old 03-26-2014, 03:17 PM

2013 U.S. Dog Bite Fatalities - Dog Bite Statistics - DogsBite.org

Old 03-26-2014, 03:26 PM

34,620 posts, read 21,433,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
THAT IS NOT A PIT BULL! Pit bulls do NOT weigh 130 pounds. Pitbulls weigh 22-78 pounds.
I really don't believe anyone is taking DNA samples and saying, "Well, it has 60% pit, 30% rotty and 10% lab; therefore, we shall refer to it as a potterab."

Should we categorize every dog without papers and a pure bloodline as a mutt?

This is why I generally refer to it as the 'type' and not the breed.

BTW, I was able to pick out the pit.

I'm also guessing the mother of the dead girl, who owned the dog, new it wasn't a Bichon.

Old 03-26-2014, 03:31 PM

2,094 posts, read 1,911,149 times
25 out of 30 in 2013. Seems pretty clear to me! Is there really even an argument?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies