Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 04:39 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,601,833 times

Advertisements

Well, it will be entertaining to see what happens. Since I'm old and have money (but a lowish earned income) I can follow this path wherever it leads.

BTW, I don't think voting will have any affect on anything. The insurance monoliths have a good strong grip on both political parties. Don't kid yourselves, Republicans.

Anyway, I should have made this a poll. I know there are many, many people who also won't participate. Are any of you willing to come out of the woodwork?

Old 03-28-2014, 04:47 PM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydive Outlaw View Post
Because this one insurance requirement requires a portion of the people that are forced to pay for it: to subsidize the costs of a percentage of those covered that are not and will not have to pay for it.

When I pay for homeowner's insurance, part of the money I am paying does not get re-directed towards buying homes and insuring those that do not own homes and/or have homeowner's insurance.

When I pay for auto insurance, the amount paid is not based on my income and none of the premium is used to cover other people that are driving but do not pay for insurance. It also does not fund the purchasing of vehicles for those that do not currently own one.

As a contract employee - the purchasing of liability insurance does not include an amount that is used to pay for liability insurance for other contract employees that do not have coverage.

You subsidized them anyway, and have been for years. Who do you think pays for all the uninsured person's hospital stays and ER visits? Maybe now that people can take their sick kids to a doctor's office rather than a $1500 ER visit when they have a fever, health costs will actually go down. And maybe I won't have to wait 7 hours to be seen in the ER, to boot. In regards to car insurance, I DO have to subsidize those who don't carry insurance, it's called Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage, and I pay extra so that I'll be covered if someone without insurance hits me.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 03-28-2014 at 06:13 PM..

Old 03-28-2014, 04:49 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
No.

As a health care professional, I know firsthand how asinine it is to go without health care coverage.
As a parent with small kids, it is doubly so.

Old 03-28-2014, 05:26 PM

5,472 posts, read 3,223,805 times
Buy the insurance and get over this delusions of all the fear and mis information put out by the right wingers, who care about nothing but the segment of the medical system gouging you and the insurance companies gouging you.

If people are smart they will utilize the exchange, and be protected under the ACA provisions.

Old 03-28-2014, 05:49 PM

84 posts, read 79,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
What will you do if you are hospitalized for two weeks and come out with a $200,000 bill? Will you pay it out of pocket?
This is always my question when people use the "Oh, I'm young and healthy, so I don't need insurance" argument.

Young and healthy is great, but freak accidents happen. A young person could be in a coma for weeks or months before they were even in a position to choose to leave the hospital, thus waking up to astronomical bills.

I can only imagine for those who can't afford insurance, it's a hard choice between the guaranteed hardship of the monthly premium versus the may-or-may-not-happen risk of some kind of medical catastrophe. Not exactly an ideal situation.

Old 03-28-2014, 06:23 PM

Also, with regard to car insurance, I DO have to subsidize those who don't carry insurance, it's called Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage, and I pay extra so that I'll be covered if someone without insurance hits me. Even if your state doesn't do this/you choose not to pay, you can be certain that you subsidize uninsured drivers in your insurance rate increases as they drive up your insurer's costs. Just like you pay more at the hospital to subsidize uninsured patients. The only thing different now in practical terms is that it's not being hidden from you anymore.
I call BS on your being a Democrat, btw. You sure sound like you're drinking another Party's "tea", to me anyway.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 03-28-2014 at 06:31 PM..

Old 03-28-2014, 06:29 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,503,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Also, with regard to car insurance, I DO have to subsidize those who don't carry insurance, it's called Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage, and I pay extra so that I'll be covered if someone without insurance hits me. Even if your state doesn't do this/you choose not to pay, you can be certain that you subsidize uninsured drivers in your insurance rate increases as they drive up your insurer's costs. Just like you pay more at the hospital to subsidize uninsured patients. The only thing different now in practical terms is that it's not being hidden from you anymore.
I call BS on your being a Democrat, btw. You sure sound like you're drinking another Party's tea, to me anyway.
Uninsured motorist don't drive up the cost of liability insurance.

Old 03-28-2014, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
Uninsured motorist don't drive up the cost of liability insurance.
Where are you getting this from?

Old 03-28-2014, 06:46 PM

863 posts, read 2,992,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
If I got sick I would get insurance then, since they couldn't discriminate for pre-existing conditions.
As is common with insurance, the situation is rare to not existent when you can sign up for first dollar coverage AFTER the event. This is info that I wasn't aware of until a friend who sells individual policies told me. If you miss the March 31, 2014 enrollment period you cannot purchase an individual policy until the following year.

Readers Ask If They Can Buy A Policy After March 31 And If An Employer Can Cancel A Spouse's Coverage - Kaiser Health News

"So there's no easy way to game the system by waiting to buy a plan until you get sick. If you skip open enrollment, you've generally missed your chance to buy coverage for the year unless you have a significant change in circumstance, such as losing your job-based insurance. You'll also face a penalty for not having insurance: $95 or 1 percent of your income in 2014, whichever is greater."

Last edited by zoso1979; 03-28-2014 at 06:54 PM..

Old 03-28-2014, 07:57 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,503,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Where are you getting this from?

A liability insurance claim is predicated on the accident being your fault, so it doesn't really matter if the other chap is covered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events