Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2014, 05:14 PM

17,388 posts, read 11,912,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
At least with Obamacare people are paying premiums for their health insurance and not sticking the public with the bill.
Sillier, sillier liberals. Thinking that everyone signing up is paying 100%, and not getting a subsidy, ie. "sticking the public with the bill".

Old 03-31-2014, 05:20 PM

8,855 posts, read 5,330,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
As someone who gets my insurance thru my employer, I wonder: What kind of **** poor S***ty insurance does your employer provides?

I purchased my own insurance, and still got told it didn't meet BO's standards. It was not bad insurance, either. The plans I have now are inferior.

Old 03-31-2014, 05:40 PM

50,309 posts, read 35,932,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Sillier, sillier liberals. Thinking that everyone signing up is paying 100%, and not getting a subsidy, ie. "sticking the public with the bill".
OMG, the "public" was stuck with the bill of the uninsured's medical bills, which are a whole lot higher than the subsidies they are getting.

Old 03-31-2014, 05:42 PM

893 posts, read 881,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
SAME! Only I didn't quit my job. However, Obamacare has freed Americans from staying with jobs that we don't particularly enjoy - or hate.

We can move now and not worry about "lapses in coverage".

All good things!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Special_Guest View Post
I'm the opposite. I couldn't WAIT to sign up for Obamacare.

I have a complex pre-existing condition. But I was tied to a job I was tired of, and STUCK in, with a one-hour commute each way. ONLY because of health insurance. My job wouldn't let me transfer to a location closer to me, because it's harder to fill positions where I was.

As soon as Obamacare took effect, I purchased a policy, quit my job, and took two part-time jobs - one with the geriatric population in the day, and with the pediatric population in the evening.

The insurance is on-par with what I had with my former FT job. And I'm much happier career-wise, with a shorter commute and more flexible schedule. So it has worked out for me.
The thing is, a VERY, VERY, VERY, VERY, VERY small % of people will be able to blather on about how great O-care is.

HOWEVER, these 2 situations ^, as with quite a few others, could have been FIXED fairly simply. We didn't need to destroy the entire system to do THAT.

MILLIONS of people have LOST their coverage and/or seen their premiums skyrocket. Of course, they don't want to talk about that. People like Harry Reid simply stand up there and call those people liars because it sells to the uninformed, (both intentional and unintentional) and the lapdog media. It's good for votes.

The bottom line is, we could have taken care of the issues much more simply than this monstrosity that will do much more harm than good over time. Just like most gov't fiasco's

Old 03-31-2014, 05:50 PM

50,309 posts, read 35,932,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iowa4430 View Post
The thing is, a VERY, VERY, VERY, VERY, VERY small % of people will be able to blather on about how great O-care is.

HOWEVER, these 2 situations ^, as with quite a few others, could have been FIXED fairly simply. We didn't need to destroy the entire system to do THAT.

MILLIONS of people have LOST their coverage and/or seen their premiums skyrocket. Of course, they don't want to talk about that. People like Harry Reid simply stand up there and call those people liars because it sells to the uninformed, (both intentional and unintentional) and the lapdog media. It's good for votes.

The bottom line is, we could have taken care of the issues much more simply than this monstrosity that will do much more harm than good over time. Just like most gov't fiasco's

Well, maybe if the other side had actually been willing to discuss it rather than stick their fingers in their ears and shout "We can't hear you!" we would have gotten a better, simpler plan, As it was, this was all we had on the table, and it is better than ignoring the elephant in the room and spending billions paying for the medical bills of people who either couldn't afford or couldn't get approved for insurance (based on pre-existing conditions). I think there is a belief that only poor people or unemployed people had to do without insurance, but this was very much a middle class problem as well.

Old 03-31-2014, 06:05 PM

541 posts, read 858,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb73 View Post
A friend who's been against ACA just told me about her new "insurance policy." It's a real company, she has a card and everything, for which she paid a small once-a-year payment. Totally ACA compliant--on paper.

If something happens, the company will say she missed the last premium and she's on her own. So she has "medical insurance" without actually being insured. She said there's over 30,000 people signed up so far with just this company--and there's probably more like it already started up.

This wouldn't work in my state, where all insurance companies are heavily regulated, but I have no doubt that more and more go-arounds will start popping up this year and next.
Is she sure she's not getting scammed? I'm betting it's very easy for the IRS to check out companies like these to see if they're legit.

Old 03-31-2014, 07:06 PM

5,472 posts, read 3,203,565 times
Just pay what the expense is and get over it, people always start tripping about how they are paying for others. There's not a darn thing one can do about it.
Companies are going to gouge and over charge even if 99% of the people buy what is being sold, they will find some reason to claim they are only covering cost. We live in a system and society where Avarice and Greed is a fixture, it has been that since before American was Declared as being America. The same people who were overthrowing the British, were themselves, thinking as much about their own gains as they were about whatever else, for every penny they did not want to see the British get, the same wealthy in this country found a way to extract the exact same from the population. Then they set up their own system of 'American Style Royalty, who influence and rule stuff like a monarchy.
We have long ago been turned into a Plutocracy, and the sad thing is many of those whining about what might help others, are more leaning to promoting a stronger plutocracy than they are of promoting a stronger democracy. And many have such a detesting mind about living in a civil society where there is social programming in place. If you want to live some place without social programming built into the system, then Move to places where there is absolutely nothing of social programs to help others; and see how well you like it and see how long you stay.

Old 03-31-2014, 07:42 PM

745 posts, read 1,643,803 times
Rand Paul is hoping to get a total repeal of ACA.
This bill is oppressive.

There is no good reason for sickness care to be soooo expensive.
Many of those who do have insurance abuse it. Such as one I witnessed... Little girl throws up- rush to the emergency room. She proceeds to run around the place jumping off the chairs and complaining she wants to go home....

And those so-called "Wellness Check-ups" are a total waste of the insurance companies' money. I'm retired and on an HMO. This plan has us going to the DR. every 6 months and includes lab work. A total waste of money for the insurance company as most people are not sick. I have opted out of those visits. This upset them and they sent me a certified letter suggesting that I make an appointment.

These 6-month check-ups are just "make-work" projects. Likely several of those lab workers would be out of a job if people did not follow the leader.
Also the Dr.'s would get less pay.

Degenerative diseases that are not genetic or the result of accidents are all caused by vitamin and mineral deficiencies and imbalances.
NEVER does the Dr in his information gathering process ask his patients about their diet. So when someone comes in sick he is clueless and orders a lot of expensive and mizerating tests, none of which is a vitamin/mineral assay.

Old 03-31-2014, 07:48 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,201,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhZone View Post
This bill is oppressive.

Many of those who do have insurance abuse it. Such as one I witnessed... Little girl throws up- rush to the emergency room. She proceeds to run around the place jumping off the chairs and complaining she wants to go home....

And those so-called "Wellness Check-ups" are a total waste of the insurance companies' money. I'm retired and on an HMO. This plan has us going to the DR. every 6 months and includes lab work. A total waste of money for the insurance company as most people are not sick. I have opted out of those visits. This upset them and they sent me a certified letter suggesting that I make an appointment.

These 6-month check-ups are just "make-work" projects. Likely several of those lab workers would be out of a job if people did not follow the leader.

Degenerative diseases that are not genetic or the result of accidents are all caused by vitamin and mineral deficiencies and imbalances.
NEVER does the Dr in his information gathering process ask his patients about their diet. So when someone comes in sick he is clueless and orders a lot of expensive and mizerating tests, none of which is a vitamin/mineral assay.
Yeah, my employer is on the same "wellness" bandwagon too. They keep calling me and giving me reminders and insurance packets at work, which go in the garbage two minutes later, and I stopped answering my phone long ago.

Old 03-31-2014, 10:53 PM

1,380 posts, read 2,385,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhZone View Post
This bill is oppressive.

You think your HMO orders a lot of tests because it likes spending its money on you and employing people? It's ordering tests because it's cheaper to find out about illness sooner rather than later. You'd better believe they've crunched the numbers and they don't want to have to pay the big bucks down the road when you require hospitalization. You're right that changing diets would help a lot of people, but most people just won't do it. Sadly, junk food is every bit as much a lethal addiction as drugs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events