Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2014, 11:07 AM

1,136 posts, read 942,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Then no, it shows that you don't even understand the terminology.
No, it shows that your "logic" breaks down immediately and you're forced to say "uh ...what I'm saying only applies to taxes and nothing else!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Since you don't understand the premise of utility, or how the value (not worth) of a dollar can vary, there is no reason to try to discuss this with you. Good day.
This is always the most amusing part of my discussions on here. As soon as someone's ideas are refuted, they just gather themselves up in a huff and say "well, you clearly don't understand what I mean, so GOOD DAY!"

No, I understood what you mean, but you were wrong. Sorry, kiddo.

For everyone who has never heard this argument, by the way, it's a popular one with liberals. They love to say that a dollar for a poor person is PROPORTIONATELY the same as, say, $10,000 dollars for a rich person! So if a poor person pays $1 in taxes, why ...they ARE paying as much as a rich person! Uh ....proportionately! That's great, but why does that only matter for taxes? I mean, if the same poor person needs to buy toilet paper, they also have to spend proportionately more money. And is that "fair"? Why, no!

Another "clever" argument goes down in flames.

Old 04-03-2014, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
we have myriads of Canadians who come here for their medical procedures, surgery and whatever other medical care they may need
Tell them to get lost and go back to the country they messed up.

Old 04-03-2014, 11:09 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,199,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
You're correct. You can still sign up provided you've had some change in your circumstances since the end of March (although I don't think confusion counts). More or less income, a change in your coverage, lost or gained a job, got married, had a child, etc. The Obama Administration had no desire to set the end-of-March deadline. It was a requirement of the insurance companies who are not that fond of giving out the great rates available under the ACA.

If anyone who doesn't have coverage from their job failed to check out what they could save by switching from their current plan (or no plan) to an ACA bronze, silver, or gold plan, they're just plain nuts. I've been buying a policy for several years now that gets me next-to-nothing for $236 dollars a month. Other than getting me an annual flu shot, that plan basically just ensured that I wouldn't lose my house if I had a heart attack or got hit by a car. I had to pay out-of-pocket for meds, they only covered an ER visit if I was admitted to the hospital, etc. The silver plan I chose under ACA is costing me $45 a month, once my low-income Federal deduction is considered. And I have actual coverage: doctor visits, emergency room care, medication coverage ... all the things I used to have when I worked for a Fortune 100 company.

Even if a person is not low-income, the coverage under most of the ACA plans is far better than what's available on the open market. I was utterly shocked at how much I could save. I was even able to afford dental insurance now!
Oh, that can't be true!!! We all know that everybody lost their really great, really cheap private insurance coverage and are now forced to buy super expensive, doesn't cover anything "Obamacare"!!!

//sarcasm off

Old 04-03-2014, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Oh, that can't be true!!! We all know that everybody lost their really great, really cheap private insurance coverage and are now forced to buy super expensive, doesn't cover anything "Obamacare"!!!

//sarcasm off
Yeah, Linda, why, everyone knows that everyone loves Obamacare and that's why King Obama had to delay every part of his own bill!!! Good thing we're all smart New Yorkers!!

//sarcasm off

Old 04-03-2014, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
Obviously you've been pampered with great jobs that paid great money!

A lot of people don't get paid enough to afford healthcare here, you seem to not be aware of the cost of insurance, or what people are paid! Just cause someone works in a low end job that doesn't mean they need to be sick, and never have the option of seeing a doctor! That is a really f*ked up mentality! Shame on you....you know what's worst to STILL Not afford this new healthcare crap, and have doctors be picky about which one they accept, and STILL be out of pocket! Because now you end up having to go see a doctor you afford in the worst parts of towns! The entire healthcare system here is a JOKE! Major, major INSULT to people. Did you know that someone who's a stay at home mom can't even have this insurance? that they LEFT US OUT completely? and we're supposed to BUY private insurance now which is precisely WHY we've been uninsured? so they offer options to those who work, and those who don't have apparently magic money to afford private ones! I mean REALLY?????

IF businesses continue to not pay livable wages, then they are welcome to pay for my welfare! Their choice. You either offer me insurance I can afford, or pay me enough to afford my own...there is no door #3 here! IF they refuse both, then they are more than welcome to pay welfare! I could care less, I've been left out anyway.
If you're low-income, then you qualify for complete insurance subsidy or for Medicaid. Maybe you should have checked it out instead of just complaining on a message board.

Old 04-03-2014, 11:17 AM

Quote:
If you're low-income, then you qualify for complete insurance subsidy or for Medicaid. Maybe you should have checked it out instead of just complaining on a message board.
Yeah, Linda!! Tell us how we can get subsidies!!!

Old 04-03-2014, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltownblues View Post
Yeah, Linda, why, everyone knows that everyone loves Obamacare and that's why King Obama had to delay every part of his own bill!!! Good thing we're all smart New Yorkers!!

//sarcasm off
So, what are you and the rest of your Tea Pastry pals gonna do when all your dire predictions about the ACA don't come true?

Old 04-03-2014, 11:30 AM

2,962 posts, read 4,998,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
LOL @ the gub'mint handling of a cheese sandwich...

Regarding the universal healthcare in other countries- including Canada. Here in SW Florida, every winter during the snowbird season, and sometimes extending outside of it, we have myriads of Canadians who come here for their medical procedures, surgery and whatever other medical care they may need. Sometimes it gets to the point where the medical services in the area are strained big time ( just try to get a doctor's appointment timely during season here, or a needed procedure scheduled). Some of the Canadians have commented that they wait till they know they will be coming to Florida to have elective procedures, or to get their medical care. One might wonder, if the Canadian healthcare system is as wonderful as government controlled single party payer medical system advocates claim it is, why so many Canadians ( and some Europeans, as I've seen over the years), come to the US for their medical care.
Because they can. Nobody keeps those who can afford it from more timely, more expensive, or otherwise unavailable procedures or from getting them wherever they want. Many go to Cuba for for a range of services. I also think it's a matter of convenience while snowbirding. I doubt they come to Florida specifically for health care...

14,949 posts, read 12,143,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWho? View Post
So you're going to avoid Medicare? You don't care about flood ins.? Social Security and Unemployment?
Nope, as we have paid into Medicare and SS for the many many years that both DH and I worked, ( approximately 43 years for DH, mine 43 and counting) so I have no qualms about collecting what we have earned, even though those Medicare and SS deductions taken from our checks without our permission. Had we had a choice we would have declined both and taken the money the government took for those programs to invest on our own, and purchase our own health insurance on the private market. But they didn't, and thus we participate in both, and pay healthy premiums for Medicare supplements in addition to the Medicare.

Our employers have always paid into unemployment, but neither DH or I have ever collected it. Even though I was downsized twice in my working life, I diligently looked for and secured other employment in enough time that I never used unemployment. So nope, never used unemployment.

Flood insurance- as regards to that we paid premiums into that program for about 28 years when we had a mortgage on a house in an area declared by FEMA to be in a 100 yr flood plain, it was annexed the year we bought the house. So even though we never even came close to a flooding situation, never had any claims, in compliance with the federal law requiring flood insurance on mortgaged properties, we served as FEMA cash cows. We have no mortgage on the house we live in now, so no, we're not continuing to serve as FEMA cash cows.

My point, which apparently flew right over your head, was that we don't need a government mandate to purchase health insurance. Your questions about participation in any of the other programs you mention, although I answered them, are besides any point, although I recognize in them your pollyparroting of liberal talking points in a poor attempt to justify Obamacare.

Quote:
So, what are you and the rest of your Tea Pastry pals gonna do when all your dire predictions about the ACA don't come true?
They already did, sorry you're that oblivious to reality, Linda.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events