Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 02:35 PM

1,718 posts, read 2,424,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
I'm with you SGrey. These folks probably had not done much research into what they were going to be facing if they thought it was appropriate for small children. Imagine the huge waves and storms going through a southern passage around the cape. Or what about Somali pirates, and rogue waves, or being becalmed, or if dad should suffer something like a broken arm or leg from slipping on deck and could no longer assist with the sails. This boat was only about 35 feet, I have personally seen waves 35 feet tall that would capsize that boat in a heartbeat. This just reminds me of the morons who hike off unprepared into the wilderness without even checking a weather report and then expect first responders to risk their lives to save them because they call 911.
You're right about the research factor. I just can't see them having done the necessary work. Every single aspect of the trip requires extreme planning. My BIL studied charts and reports for years before they left and by the time they left there remained certain parts of the ocean they'd yet to decide if they wanted to attempt traversing. A lot of people do long trips in smaller ships but anything can go very wrong very fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Yes, on a sailboat, ever with the autohelm on, someone has to be at the helm of the boat 24/7. Even though sailboats have the right of way, those massive tankers go on autopilot and will run over a sailboat so that is what you must watch out for. Those tankers are very scary and move very fast compared to a sailboat.
Thanks for this. I'm pretty sure they always did shifts but I didn't want to state it as a fact when I wasn't completely certain.

Personally, I don't think much of them using a roller furling. I'm sure they were thinking it would ease their workload everyday but ultimately it's just one more thing that can go wrong - on a trip with an infinite number of variables for things that can go wrong. From the sound of it that was indeed one more problem when the electrical cut out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2014, 07:16 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,096,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
I read the same thing, probably on USAToday's website.

Are you sure about that? I can see where in a harbor that would be the case, but a tanker or freighter would find it difficult to maneuver around a much smaller vessel even in open water.
In a nutshell, a sailboat that is under sail power and doesn't have the engine on, has the right of way over any motorized vessel because they have less maneuverability. A sailboat under engine power, does not have the right of way.

A sailboat at sea will always be under sail power unless it is charging the batteries.

Believe it or not, it isn't uncommon for tankers to have plowed over sailboats.

Old 04-08-2014, 09:10 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
read somewhere where other sailing folks are coming to their defense saying it is a wonderful life experience to take kids on round the world trip like this. maybe for older kids but not a one year old and especially not one who was recently ill.

Old 04-08-2014, 11:03 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,533,072 times
Probably way too young to take sailing around the world, but I love how no one gives a crap about human life unless it's a baby or a fetus.

Old 04-09-2014, 12:46 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,023,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
I don't see the problem with them taking their kids. Better than leaving them with someone while they are away. I do think they should pay the bill for the rescue though.
Me neither. They are taking care of the kids. The kids look happy.

Kids sometimes get sick. Whether they are on the water or on land. It happens.

Old 04-09-2014, 08:19 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,215,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
In a nutshell, a sailboat that is under sail power and doesn't have the engine on, has the right of way over any motorized vessel because they have less maneuverability. A sailboat under engine power, does not have the right of way.

A sailboat at sea will always be under sail power unless it is charging the batteries.

Believe it or not, it isn't uncommon for tankers to have plowed over sailboats.
That's my point. A tanker can't react to a sailboat in it's path very well, assuming the sailboat is even seen. Saying the tanker is at fault for hitting a sailboat 1/100000000 of the tanker's size is like faulting a train for hitting a car that is on the tracks. There simply is no option to avoid the smaller vehicle.

Old 04-09-2014, 08:28 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,185,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
I don't see the problem with them taking their kids. Better than leaving them with someone while they are away. I do think they should pay the bill for the rescue though.
You seriously do not see a problem with them taking the kids??

Old 04-09-2014, 09:38 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,096,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
That's my point. A tanker can't react to a sailboat in it's path very well, assuming the sailboat is even seen. Saying the tanker is at fault for hitting a sailboat 1/100000000 of the tanker's size is like faulting a train for hitting a car that is on the tracks. There simply is no option to avoid the smaller vehicle.
Hey, they aren't my laws, they are maritime laws. Any sailboat that is powered by sail only has the right of way over any motorized vessel anywhere, at any time.

That is why when you are at sea in a sailboat, someone is at the helm 24/7, to look out for tankers.

Old 04-09-2014, 01:46 PM

2,296 posts, read 3,123,326 times
Little kids growing up on cruising sailboats is not that unusual. Boat was well equipped and a proven and very seaworthy design, several of which have been around the world. Perfect size boat for a couple with kids. They picked an appropriate weather window and time of year. They had all the safety gear and it worked when they needed it. Really not an inherently dangerous trip at all.

The child could have been 13 or an adult of 40 with the same illness. The Navy would have come to the aid of anyone in the same situation, and have done hundreds of times.

Old 04-09-2014, 01:52 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,070,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GER308 View Post
Little kids growing up on cruising sailboats is not that unusual. Boat was well equipped and a proven and very seaworthy design, several of which have been around the world. Perfect size boat for a couple with kids. They picked an appropriate weather window and time of year. They had all the safety gear and it worked when they needed it. Really not an inherently dangerous trip at all.

The child could have been 13 or an adult of 40 with the same illness. The Navy would have come to the aid of anyone in the same situation, and have done hundreds of times.
Nope. Except that they had to be rescued in the middle of the ocean.

Thankfully the boat is now at the bottom of the ocean so any future daydreams are, for now, scuttled.

And now what...no home, no boat, nothing. How is THAT good for anyone?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events